Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Late Evening Loud Music (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/late-evening-loud-music-9095/)

Hancle704 08-04-2007 10:51 PM

Late Evening Loud Music

I know that the FL Legislature enacted a Law involving loud music ( if you care to call it that) that blasts out of autombiles. I am wondering if these same anti-noise rules apply to music now being played past 9 PM from Sumter Landing? Use to be that with the right conditions (wind direction, etc) I could hear music from Spanish Springs and Sumter landing up until 9PM. I live more than 1 mile away from Sumter Landing and on some nights can hear the music and drums way past 9PM. What has happened that allows this kind of loud music? Is this exempt from the anti-noise pollution laws? I thought this was a retirement community and not Disney's Pleasure Island.

Talk Host 08-05-2007 06:13 AM

Re: Late Evening Loud Music

These kinds of laws are impossible to enforce. Think about it. Noise travels farther when it is windy, so is it more of a violation if the wind is blowing? Who is going to be steading anywhere nearby with a decibel meter anytime any noise is produced.

If a car goes by with the windows down, blasting music, and there is not a cop right there with a decibel meter, they can't be charged.

If a citizen files a complaint, the court will say, "how loud was the music. The complaintant will say....."ah.....loud."

If a person wants to really get serious about how foolish these kinds of laws are, think about the disabilities act. If a person is hard of hearing can he claim his music was loud so he could hear it?

Further, is it a violation only if it is rap or hip hop music from a car. How about classical music or talk.

Are high school bands exempt? They are pretty loud.

Law makers pass these laws to pacify the voters, then they are impossible to enforce.

Donna 08-05-2007 12:14 PM

OSH..You crack me up!! :bigthumbsup:

Barefoot 08-05-2007 12:44 PM

Earplugs (available at any drugstore) should solve your problem nicely.

Donna 08-05-2007 12:48 PM

Renting in a CEMETERY might do the trick too... :(

jjdees 08-05-2007 03:23 PM

TOTV is getting pretty entertaining.

Hancle704 08-05-2007 07:51 PM

Gee thanks for all of the great suggestions. Buy earplugs, move to a cemetery. Surprised no one gave the standard answer, "if you don't like it move out." Just tried to point out that things have changed in the 10 years I've been here. Music was always there to be enjoyed by anyone wanting to go to the Town Square, or if you didn't want to listen you could stay home. So now it goes until 11PM.

Guess I'll just pop in one of my 8 track Chieftain Albums, open the windows and hope that you find my taste in music enjoyable. There's nothing like the wonderful sound of pipes and drums.

xhippee 08-05-2007 07:54 PM

get over it

Talk Host 08-06-2007 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xhippee
get over it

That's not a very thoughful answer to his problem. The villages sold me a house without telling me that it is next to the freight train. It goes by 20 times a day, blowing its whistle. The Villages screwed me on that deal for the rest of my life. Should I just "get over it?"

Russ_Boston 08-06-2007 10:23 AM

Respectfully;

In all fairness Jan you kind of screwed yourself didn't you? If it goes by 20 times a day how did you not notice it? I've only bought a few homes in my life but every time my wife and i scouted out the area - during the day to see what goes on - at night to hear if we were bothered by the highway noise or trains etc. - were the neighbors quiet or did they like to party too much for our tastes etc. etc.

Granted it would have been nice if the developer mentioned the train and made sure it didn't bug you but that is not really their concern. Every home buyer has to do their own due diligence on a purchase.

I'm curious - if it bugged you early on then why didn't you relocate to another spot in TV?

LG 08-06-2007 10:33 AM

I have actually had people tell me they like the trains. Reminds them of home or there childhood.

I find that 3 to 4 Vodkas eliminates the annoyance.

:super:

Talk Host 08-06-2007 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ_Boston
Respectfully;

In all fairness Jan you kind of screwed yourself didn't you? If it goes by 20 times a day how did you not notice it? I've only bought a few homes in my life but every time my wife and i scouted out the area - during the day to see what goes on - at night to hear if we were bothered by the highway noise or trains etc. - were the neighbors quiet or did they like to party too much for our tastes etc. etc.

Granted it would have been nice if the developer mentioned the train and made sure it didn't bug you but that is not really their concern. Every home buyer has to do their own due diligence on a purchase.

I'm curious - if it bugged you early on then why didn't you relocate to another spot in TV?

LIke most other Village residents, we were living up North during the construction of our home. We had no idea that it was there. Real Estate law says that agents MUST give full disclosure to anything that will materially affect the resale value of the house. They are required by law to say, "there is a freight train that passes behind your house. It is loud, is that going to be a problem?" They didn't do that.

In so far as relocating. I do not have the luxury of building, then rebuilding. I am a normal individual with limited resources. In addition, I am required by law to tell any prospective buyer that "there is a freight train that passes behind your house. It is loud, is that going to be a problem?"

Donna 08-06-2007 10:51 AM

Jan,
How far is the train from your house, or i should say how close is it?? I can hear it from my bedroom or when I sit on the lanai..I love that sound!! :)
It is a shame that Realtors hide things to make a sale..

Avista 08-06-2007 10:52 AM

Before we moved here, our home was in the takeoff/landing bath at Tampa Airport. We never minded it. It was fun watch the planes and wondering where they were going etc. We weren't THAT close--about 1/2 hour from airport. Guess who these things bother, is very individual.

Talk Host 08-06-2007 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna
Jan,
How far is the train from your house, or i should say how close is it?? I can hear it from my bedroom or when I sit on the lanai..I love that sound!! :)
It is a shame that Realtors hide things to make a sale..

The train is about 400 yards behind our house. We can read the wording on the side of the cars when it passes. None of our neighbors were told about the train either. Several have moved, several cannot sell their house. One lady has had to seek professional help from a psychologist to deal with the way the train affects her. She cannot sell her house because of the noise. Some people down the street had their house up for sale for almost a year with no success, then took it off the market. Last night about 3:30 the train passed and sounded his horn 32 times. The train actually creates little ripples in our pool when it passes.

It is nice for people who don't have this problem to minimize it. I don't find it soothing or pleasant. It is pretty clear to me that the Villages will so, say, or not say anything in order to sell property here.