Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   The Villages Regional Hospital Any opinions? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/villages-regional-hospital-any-opinions-9113/)

Avista 08-06-2007 06:29 AM

The Villages Regional Hospital Any opinions?

The Villages Hospital seems very nice, but I have never been hospitalized there. Does anyone have any first time experience?

bogeygolfer 08-06-2007 08:05 AM

Re: The Villages Reginal Hospital Any opinions?

I had day surgery there and it was first class. Been to the ER. First class. Much rather be there than in Leesburg. Never been to Ocala. I also volunteer there and everyone is helpful, staff and volunteers. I have had lots of friends there and have never had a bad report. I was here before the hospital was built and it is a great asset to us all. Become a volunteer and you'll see for yourself. I had surgery at Leesburg and the outcome was fine, but I was too sick to know much about it. I do remember sharing a room with a very unpleasant roomate. Has nothing to do with the hospital, just the situation. I also had surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. If you are not satisfied with the diagnosis or treatment locally that is the ONLY place to go. They are absolutely the best. :bigthumbsup:

jtdraig 08-06-2007 03:46 PM

I had a severe case of diverticulitis when we moved here so had to go on an emergency basis to The Villages Hospital. I came close to falling off the lilypad and croaking :o but The Hospital was wonderful once I got through the ER hurdle. In fact, once they realized that I had C-DIFF they reacted VERY quickly. I was cured of C-DIFF :bigthumbsup: and then transferred to Ocala Regional for Surgery to get rid of the diverticulitis. Great doctors at TVH, Superb nursing care, and great staff....I am still here on the lily pad happily chirping away and hope to be for many years to come. The ONLY criticisim that I had was the length of time that I had to be in ER..almost 5 hours. ??? Others waited 12 to 14 hours........it's a bad situation.

Hancle704 08-06-2007 11:20 PM

Wife unfortunately, has had to be admitted to hospital several times in past few years. Nothing but praise for both TVRH and LRMC. The nursing staff especially at TVRH are outstanding. Wait times in ED have gone from very long to somewhat faster. This will continue to improve as TVRH opens the expanded ED, more surgical suites and hospital beds. The growth of TV may unfortunately increase faster than the hospitals serving the tri-county area. Occupancy rates peak during snowbird season at all of the area hospitals.

Casual Carol 08-07-2007 03:31 PM

My husband was hospitalized at the Villiages Regional. Excellent care. His room was nicer than some hotels we've been in.
It was a very scary experience, especially so far from home(NY).

saratogaman 08-08-2007 11:39 AM

Caution: Like many healthcare facilities, they may do "balance billing" -- after accepting payment from medicare and/or health insurance, they try to have you pay all of the rest. As a participating provider (with Blue Cross, for example), they are allowed only to then have you pay your co-pay. "Participating provider" means that they have agreed to accept the insurance payment as payment in full (except for the co-pay).
They tried to BS me into paying $2,200 for an outpatient procedure after they accepted the Blue Cross payment and my co-pay. My insurance company told me how to challenge it and I ended up not paying a penny more.
I guess they count on a certain number of people just writing a check, rather than challenge them.
It's our money!

jjdees 08-08-2007 08:13 PM

Regarding balance billing, I've never experienced or heard of such a thing. Is it legal to do this with Medicare/Medigap billing?

saratogaman 08-09-2007 10:57 AM

I don't know if it's legal, but they did it to two other people that I know. Both fought and won.

Frangyomory 08-09-2007 09:02 PM

I used the emergency room and was very satisfied with the doctors and other staff.

About balance billing, any doctor who signs on as a MEDICARE provider is NOT authorized to balance bill unless you have a MEDICARE SUPPLEMENT such as AARP. When MEDICARE and the supplement don't cover it all, the only thing you are liable for is the deductible. When you are balanced billed, advise the provider, in writing, that they have received full payment in accordance with their contract with MEDICARE.

Many PPOs and HMOs have similar contracts that don't allow them to balance bill. Be sure to read completely your explanation of benefits because in small print it might say.....your provider may bill you xxxx amount but you are not responsible to pay this. Then you can make a copy and send it to the hospital/doctor.

You must learn all you can about your coverage so you don't get caught up in the balance billing cycle. I went to a local cardiac doctor and found out that they billed me for an uncovered expense every time I went to have my coumadin levels checked. I solved this by contacting my insurance administrator who advised me not to pay the extra amount and I advised the doctor's office that I would not be paying this amount. They stopped billing me for it. I also reported them to MEDICARE since I considered what they did as fraud. You should only have to pay deductibles and plan co-pays.

You are your own best steward. Read everything before you sign on the dotted line. Some providers will ask you to sign that you will pay anything that your insurance doesn't cover. You might want to think twice before seeing that provider.

Just some personal advice.

Santee Kid 10-10-2007 01:01 PM

My Wife was in the Villages Hospital in July through September. While she was in there, She suffered a punctured lung, had a heart attack as a result and while in ICU fell due to the negligence of the nurses caught her arm between the bedrail AND MATTRESS which caused a spiral break in the upper arm. NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK OF OUR GREAT HOSPITAL? If any one knows of an honest and reliable Lawyer, I would appreciate it if they would contact me at my e-mail address. I am not having much luck finding someone that is not afraid to take on the Villages and their "Excellent" hospital!

Avista 10-10-2007 03:43 PM

I had Day Surgery today. My care was excellent. (I am a retired RN) Everyone was very friendly and knowledgeable. I was to be there at 9:30 and got a call saying they were running ahead of time, and could I be there early. I was ready, so went right over and got there at 8:30. Was home by noon. Can't say enough about the good care.

bevcon 10-10-2007 05:56 PM

The expertise and quick thinking of an ER Doctor, along wioth quality emercency surgery saved my life. I wil forever be grateful.

jadebox 10-16-2007 06:20 PM

I have been there twice for 3 days each time. My care was great.

Avista 10-16-2007 06:45 PM

It looks like I will require surgery after the first of the year involving a 2 night stay. Does anyone know anything about the private rooms. If I would want one, do I pay for the entire room or the difference between the double and private? What with all the hospital infections one hears about (I don't mean The Villages Hospital) it just might be best to have a private room.

phillisk 11-28-2007 12:59 AM

My husband was told to go the the ER by his physician for a minor ailment, We presented
ourselves there before 9:30am and we left at 7:50 pm. 11 plus hours I think
total ridiculous. We were not considered fast tract, but needed to be seen by a Doctor.

We were told that there were many ambulance patients in ER and we would have to wait on a room to be empty. Many patient were in ER and they came an went thru fast tract
and we sat and sat. Finally we were asked to go to a office room to be taken care of
and care was given and we left at 7:50.

There were a few others in our situation.

This was totally unacceptable. The care givers there were wonderful and very
good. Nurses were kind and considerate and everyone who we came in contact with
was wonderful. it was just the wait was totally unacceptable. The only way to get
taken care of quickly is to come in an ambulance.

The ability to take care of all of us in the Villages and surrounding is not there and
this is not acceptable for the seniors in the villages. The er needs to be more
efficient in getting admitted patient to their rooms to free up the rooms in er or
set up a holding area for those patients waiting for beds.