Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Lowes or Home Depot????????? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/lowes-home-depot-9204/)

Talk Host 08-11-2007 08:14 AM

Lowes or Home Depot?????????

Which of the two do you prefer? I think the checkout is much better at Home Depot, as is the general attitude of the employees. Lowe's, on the other hand is better lighted and their layout is a little better, I think. I find it a little more difficult to find items at Home Depot but it is easier to find an employee. At Lowe's, there have been times that I could find nobody to help me. :dontknow I think over all, I like Home Depot just a little better than Lowe's. I miss the good old fashioned lumber yards where the clerks and the yard guy all know you, help you and joke with you, let you pick out the best pieces, cut them to size and help you load them into your brother-in-law's truck. ;D

BUC 08-11-2007 08:50 AM

Re: Lowes or Home Depot?????????

I wouldn't buy anything from Lowe's. Why you ask, They sponsor Jimmy Johnson and he cheats and so does Jeff Gordan, The only good thing about Dale Jr. joining Hendricks is that at least there'll be one man on the Hendick's team.I'M SORRY I THOUGHT I WAS ON THE NASCAR WEBSITE FORUM. I shop at Home Depot they sponsor Tony Steward!

tony 08-11-2007 09:36 AM

Lowe's advancement of Spanish on all their signs offends me. I am strongly against multilingualism. I think it is bad for the long term health of the country, and I think Lowe's is advancing this evil.

Next time I will get more to the point and say what I mean.

Talk Host 08-11-2007 09:52 AM

Okay, let's see. Two against Lowe's. One because they speak Spanish and one because they sponsor the wrong NASCAR driver. I never thought of these two reasons, but, I'll immediately ad them to my list. :)

Villages Kahuna 08-11-2007 10:46 AM

It's Lowes For Me

I will admit that the Home Depot in TV is better than the average HD elsewhere. But I still experience long waits to check out and even more frustrating, a very high level of out-of-stock conditions. I took a count last year and for the 12 items I went into HD to buy over a two-month period, they were out-of-stock on 7 of them. That's unbelievable for a store as large as HD.

One item I can recall were the mounting brackets for some wire-type shelves I was buying. First it took about 15 minutes to find someone who could check the overhead stock. Then that person had to take another 10 minutes to find someone who could check the computer to see when the brackets were expected to arrive. They gave me a date of the following Monday. I came back, only to find that the ETA for the brackets had been extended for two more weeks!

I swore I'd never go back to Home Depot and proceeded up 441 to Lowes. It turns out they carry exactly the same brand of shelving and had all the components in stock. And as I was about to buy the items for my project, a very knowledgeable Lowes associate made a suggestion that made my project even better.

It's Lowes for me! In fact, I sold my Home Depot stock and bought Lowes.

darbyduff 08-11-2007 02:05 PM

As a "Mr Fixit" and builder of furniture (and also one who finished our basement), my husband is a LOWES fiend!!! Better Service, Cleaner Store, Friendly Service AND like the famous sitcom...................

when he walks into the store everyone shouts..............................RON!!!!!!!!!!! !! (he's there about 2 times a week!!)

Frangyomory 08-11-2007 02:07 PM

Lowes for better prices.

F16 1UB 08-12-2007 07:42 AM

When we built the house 7 years ago in KY we joked because we said it was a Lowes house. NASCAR division also in the house. 24 & 8 fan. Had nothing to do with it and honestly can't tell you why. Both stores within 1-2 miles of each other. And what's a few dollars when you're spending thousands? My kids will eventually enjoy it upon resale. heh heh

Steve

REDCART 08-12-2007 08:40 AM

Not a bad topic for discussion, but why not include local hardware stores in the equation. Ace Hardware (CR 466) may not be your typical hardware store but it's every bit available to all of the Villagers. I'll bet most would agree that the odds are better that you'll find what you need at this local hardware than in either of the home centers. When time is critical and I'm not out to kill a few hours browsing the home centers, I'd rather go to Ace buy what I need, and go home and finish the job. But like so many, I can get lost just browsing in either of the home centers. BTW has anyone purchased florescent fixtures lately from either of the home centers. They're all garbage. The ones in Ace may be $1-2 more but much better made and well worth the difference. How often do you want to replace a florescent fixture and isn't your time worth the difference?

rballruss 08-12-2007 10:15 AM

Lowes beacause it is closer to my home than Home Depot.

pgilson 08-12-2007 10:19 AM

Service is much better at Home Depot. I had problems several times at Lowe's where the "help" was more interested in their private phone coversations on their cell phones than helping the customer.

Patty 08-12-2007 10:26 AM

Lowe's for me! I find it easier to find items and I have been very successful in obtaining help from the associates there. HD is more difficult to locate items and not as well organized.

A few years ago, when I was in Atlanta, HD was the only "big box" home improvement store around, the stores became very disorganized, dirty, and the staff was difficult to find at times. Then Lowe's came in, they had some wonderful customer service people (another story) and began to get business from former HD consumers. Suddenly, HD started to try to clean up the stores, retrain their staff etc....
Typical story of what good competition can bring into an area.
I go to HD when I can't find it at Lowe's or Ace.

villagerjudy 08-12-2007 10:46 AM

I use Lowe's because of their plant selection. Gardeners beware..... mulches at Lowe's and Home Depot are dyed significantly different colors. Eucalyptus mulch at Home Depot is a rich chocolate brown and at Lowe's is is just a darker cedar color. Their cedar chips aren't the same color either. Y'all can tell I have a multicolored flower bed and am not overly pleased about it.

RayB 08-12-2007 08:47 PM

We lived in Tampa for 23 years and I must say, I preferred Lowe's as the store was much more pleasant, prices were generally better and I could always get help when needed. Now that we live in TV I find I prefer Home Depot for the same reasons I favored Lowe's in the Tampa area. Also Home Depot is much closer and convenient for me. A previous contributer mentioned the Lowe's emphasis on Spanish as being a negative to that person. I must say I agree. I resent everything being posted in Spanish. This country speaks English. An immigrant has to prove they understand and speak English when they apply for citizenship. Why does Lowes have to put everything in Spanish? This is discrimination. What about all those legal immigrants from Germany, France, Japan, etc.? If I lived and worked in France, I would not expect everything to be in English. I would have to learn enough French to get along in daily living.

zcaveman 08-12-2007 08:57 PM

LOWES over Hole Depot. When I moved her the only Lowe's and Home Depot close were south of Leesburg. I needed some 4X8 sheets of plywood cut down., I went to HD and lugged the wood onto a pallet and went to find someone to cut the wood and got a few "just a minutes" and no one. I left and went to Lowe's and the guy not only pulled the plywood sheets but he cut them and put them in my pickup.

Lowe's over Home Depot any time!!

And Jeff Gordon and Jimmy Johnson rock. I hope that they can teach Earnhart Junior how to drive so he becomes a winner. I am a Bud man but not a Junior man.