Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Frogs in the toilet? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/frogs-toilet-9239/)

Talk Host 08-13-2007 05:13 AM

Frogs in the toilet?

Yes, that's right. Frogs in the toilet. Last night was the third time that we have found a frog in our toilet bowl. Two times, they were small tree frogs, however once it was a full sized bull frog. This most recent one managed to jump out of the bowl, and I have a merry chase around the bathroom at 4:30 a.m., but I won.

Is this a Florida thing? Is it a Villages thing. I assume they are swimming up the sewer line to get in there. Please tell me we are not alone in this.

golfnut 08-13-2007 06:27 AM

Re: Frogs in the toilet?

First time I ever heard of this.

villages07 08-13-2007 06:50 AM

No frogs, but, recently have found a type of "bug" in and around drains (shower, sinks). It's black, thin bodied, about half inch long, with antenna, kinda slimy and wormy looking. I was going to call Massey today to see if there is anything they or I can do about it. My assumption is they are coming up through the sewer lines. Fortunately, they can't hop like the frogs do, so, they are much easier to "catch" and kill.

I also would appreciate anyopne else's expertise or experience on this.

F16 1UB 08-13-2007 07:20 AM

Occasional bug here & there but FROGS? My mom used to tell me "In Florida we've got bugs and humidity." She did have a chameleon in the house on one of my visits. My dad called it bass bait. heh heh

Steve

Donna 08-13-2007 08:05 AM

OMG..Frogs in the toilet!! Poor little critters.. :dontknow:

bestmickey 08-13-2007 08:44 AM

Eeeewwwww! If frogs can get through, does that mean that snakes can too?

Donna 08-13-2007 08:46 AM

Mickey,
I never thought of that!!! OMG!! I am glad hubby does not read these posts, he is deathly afraid of snakes!!! :o

Talk Host 08-13-2007 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestmickey
Eeeewwwww! If frogs can get through, does that mean that snakes can too?

I doubt that snakes slither through the sewers.

nanci2539 08-13-2007 09:13 AM

We're talking real frogs?????? You should have taken a picture Jan - I can't even imagine what that's like.

JohnZ 08-13-2007 10:21 AM

They're coming in through the pvc vent pipe on your roof. Watch out for the large (4 - 5 inch) variety as they are probably the Cuban tree frog and are toxic to touch. I often see 'em on our garage door and villa walls at night. The little native green tree frogs (1-2 in.) are harmless (these are the little "peeps" you hear at night about this time of year). The Cuban actually eats the native species.....so if you see them, they're probably hunting the little native guys.

Here's a link you might find interesting.
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/0...tegory=animals

Donna 08-13-2007 10:43 AM

JohnZ..great article..Thanks :bigthumbsup:

handieman 08-13-2007 10:44 AM

Well OK then, next week I shall get on the roof and install a drain insert on top of my PVC vent. Anyone know the dimensions of the PVC? 2", 3" ??? The slots in the drain insert are very similar to the ones used in shower enclosures and will prevent any critter larger than the slots to enter. I can deal with anything smaller than a drain slot ::)
Handie :joke:

Donna 08-13-2007 10:46 AM

Handi..Hurry and get on that roof!!! LOl

Barefoot 08-13-2007 10:49 AM

Re: Swimming through sewers ... hopefully baby alligators are too large to appear in a toilet?

swrinfla 08-13-2007 12:53 PM

Jan:
It seems to me that the situation is all too clear! :joke:
The frogs have been scared away from the railroad right-of-way and have selected the only obvious sanctuary! :joke:
Steve