Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Congestion/Crowded (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/congestion-crowded-9245/)

nanci2539 08-13-2007 11:52 AM

Congestion/Crowded

I couldn't come up with a subject for this question.

When I visit TV (never longer than a week at a time); the major complaint I hear from residents is it gets too crowded in the winter. There are long waits in restaurants and the traffic is bumper to bumper when going into town. Parking is a problem and just overall congestion.

I am originally from the east coast and we would go to Cape Cod in the summer for short vacations. It was pretty congested and many times, the wait in any restaurant was two plus hours. Of course, after labor day, things went back to normal.

Where the winters are a lot longer and people escape to TV in these months, just how congested does it get? Do residents mind when the snowbirds come in the winter months? This might not be a fair question because I'm sure TV wouldn't be as successful and profitbale without people coming part time. But this seems to be a pretty candid board and just wondering how full time residents felt about the crowds and congestion when the cold months start to set in back north!

LG 08-13-2007 11:58 AM

Re: Congestion/Crowded

Things do get a little busier when the snow birds arrive.. Waits at restaurants are between 30-40 minutes and peak meal times. BUT while your waiting there is always a way to get a cocktail and meet people. The Golf course get crowded.. and you must be alert to get the tee times you want. Traffic is OK.. a lot of golf carts used.

rballruss 08-13-2007 12:31 PM

I don't think traffic is horrible, but certainly more than off-season. The circles get a bit backed up at times, and 27/441 can get a bit congested, but overall it's not that bad. There will be longer waits at restaurants and tee-times will be harder to come by (but using the computerized system within 3-days I have always found a time and place to play). Now, if you are making reservations for groups, yes, you are going to have a problem.

swrinfla 08-13-2007 12:34 PM

nanci:
Interesting question. Yes, it does get a lot more crowded in "season." But, it's really rather relative, I think.

If 25 cars in line at the light at Morse & CR466 is a traffic jam, then it's quite possible that you'll see a traffic jam there. :) [I counted that many one weekday morning last February!]

Parking, quite frankly, seems to me to be always a problem, even in the summer! I continue to be amazed that handicapped places are few and far between, and the ones closest to wherever one wants to go are inevitably taken - I hope by folks who need such! [I no longer do]

And, yes, it is very hard to get in to restaurants in the winter. Since virtually no one takes reservations (except maybe for a really large party), it's what's called a crap-shoot!
On the other hand, my brother and his family and I (they live nearby but not in TV) have decided that we can put up with eating late in the winter, and so frequently don't even arrive at a restaurant until 7:30 or even 8:00. Our wait time may be as little as 5 minutes!

We've also learned that parties of 6 often can get a table sooner than a twosome! Not everywhere, I suppose, but that trick almost always works for us at Cane Garden CC!

I heard not too long ago that 70%-75% of Villagers are full-time, so maybe the snowbirds and visitors are taking a page out of our book: stay forever!

I don't think you should worry about the traffic and the crowds. Everything is such fun and folks are (99.99%) so friendly. And, we all put up with the minor inconveniences, now and then!

Steve

MMC24 08-13-2007 02:20 PM

Nanci:

I've been on The Mid Cape Hwy on a Saturday afternoon, when traffic volume was backed up from Hyannis to Orleans. Believe me, Winter traffic back up of maybe 20 to 30 cars in TV is a breeze compared to that mess. But when I was in that Cape Traffic, it was with 3 other fraternity bothers and a couple of cases of beer so I guess it didn't seem too bad until the beer ran out!!! As you know, there is no place on the Mid-Cape to replenish your cooler.

darbyduff 08-13-2007 09:51 PM

Went to a restaurant in TV in March and we waited 30 min to get a seat!! :( Met two couples at the bar who were waiting also and had dinner at one of the couples house the next night!! ;D I call that a deal!!!!) :bigthumbsup: That's just the Villages!!

Frangyomory 08-13-2007 10:12 PM

During :clap2: :2cool:the Winter have to be at St. Timothy's Catholic Church one hour before Mass begins, just to get a seat and a parking space. During the summer, I can actually plan to arrive there about 30 minutes before Mass to get parking and a seat. Unfortunately, the "season" seems to be gettng longer and a lot of local restaurant folks say that they are now as busy in the summer as they are in the Winter. Seems "snow birds" aren't the only reason for traffic, etc.

Soooo, Joe and I simply plan for earlier dinners if there is a special restaurant we want to go to. That seems to work out well. For outback, we are there before 5 pm otherwise, we don't bother.

Just my observation, but I do believe we are getting more and more residents and the crowding at the squares and early dinners will likely become a year around thing.

Small price to live in such a wonderful environmet.

villagerjudy 08-14-2007 03:49 AM

My sister is a snowbird and has lived on the Cape for 20 years. She hasn't complained about anything in the Villages during the winter so I guess it isn't as bad down here as the summers are up there.

Happy Villager 08-14-2007 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frangyomory
During :clap2: :2cool:the Winter have to be at St. Timothy's Catholic Church one hour before Mass begins, just to get a seat and a parking space. During the summer, I can actually plan to arrive there about 30 minutes before Mass to get parking and a seat. Unfortunately, the "season" seems to be gettng longer and a lot of local restaurant folks say that they are now as busy in the summer as they are in the Winter. Seems "snow birds" aren't the only reason for traffic, etc.

Soooo, Joe and I simply plan for earlier dinners if there is a special restaurant we want to go to. That seems to work out well. For outback, we are there before 5 pm otherwise, we don't bother.

Just my observation, but I do believe we are getting more and more residents and the crowding at the squares and early dinners will likely become a year around thing.

Small price to live in such a wonderful environmet.

I have to agree with you on your comment regarding the year round resident population increasing. With TV selling two to three hundred homes a month I would think a good amount of them must be permanent residents. My husband and I also frequent the restaurants around 3:00 pm to avoid the crowds but I think even that time is going to start to get busy. Hey we're retired so all we have is time. Isn't it great!

dadspet 08-14-2007 10:28 PM

WOW > I've been to Cape Cod and if the traffic was that bad I would never have bought in TVs. I couldn't even get out of my motel on the cape to get into the traffic it was so bad (several yrs ago, but I double if it's improved). We've been to the East coast and west coast towns of Florida in our search for a place like TVs and we thought traffic in most other cities was worst to significantly worst then TVs. The growth does bring more people from what saw in renting for 3 years but I wouldn't classify it as a issue - it didn't stop us from buying or even make the "think twice about this" category in our decision. Original settlers may have a different opinion!
(BTW We don't come from a large city with major traffic issues we come from a mid size town where our definition of traffic is a car in front of us or stopped at the same traffic light we are at. - TV traffic is a bit worst then that but not too much )

There is traffic coming into the Squares at night and for special days, making parking a bit of a hassle but we prefer that over other communities where we saw no activity. To have activity takes people commuting to the events. And I would agree parking at St Timothy's Catholic Church is awful. You need to get there early to get a parking space and sit. Even all the golf cart spaces get taken. Another Catholic church is really needed.