Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   This is not intended to be a "negative" forum and it isn't (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/not-intended-negative-forum-isnt-9278/)

Talk Host 08-15-2007 09:09 AM

This is not intended to be a "negative" forum and it isn't

I have been a little concerned lately. More than one person has said that they have been told by people associated with the Villages management that Talk of The Villages is a "negative" forum. I'm not sure why they would think that. This forum is designed to enhance the lifestyle in the Villages. Sometimes that takes the form of discussing things that could be better. This is a real place, not a dream. We have real people in the Villages and they want to talk about their life here. I fully understand why the developer wants to convey the impression that once you move to the Villages, you no longer have any worries, concerns, issues or, for that matter, even have to think anymore. That is just not the case. Sadly, life is just not that simple.

It is a great place to live. Most people encounter complications in their lives and rely on others, through this forum for example, for guidance. I have an issue with not being told about the freight train in my back yard. Others have issues with services, or doctors, or merchants. Life is real. This is a real place to discuss real issues. Most of the time, the discussions here help people enjoy their lives at the Villages a little better. No government entity wants the citizens to have a vehicle to voice opinion openly. That's why goverment officials dislike radio and television talk shows. It gives the people too much power. That is precisely why there is no talk show on WVLG or VNN.

If any of you hear anybody say that Talk of The Villages fosters "negative" discussion. Please set them straight.

And finally, in an open message to the Villages management. Talk of the Villages is here to make life even better for the residents. Everybody, regdarless of age, is still protected by the right to free speech. The topics here are not imagined, they are real topics by real people who, for the most part, love living in the Villages.

kar guy 08-15-2007 09:11 AM

Re: This is not intended to be a "negative" forum and it isn't

BRAVO, BRAVO, BRAVO, BRAVO, ETC.........

JohnZ 08-15-2007 09:29 AM

Jan: Maybe you should consider a separate category called "the Vent" or something....where folks can vent their spleens....you know...a space made to express negative comments. You won't be able to keep all the negative stuff off then Gen. Discussion board....but it might help. If you remember one of my posts from wayyyy back....I was a bit concerned about the negative tenor of TOTV...esp. as a potential sponsor.

Talk Host 08-15-2007 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Jan: Maybe you should consider a separate category called "the Vent" or something....where folks can vent their spleens....you know...a space made to express negative comments. You won't be able to keep all the negative stuff off then Gen. Discussion board....but it might help. If you remember one of my posts from wayyyy back....I was a bit concerned about the negative tenor of TOTV...esp. as a potential sponsor.

If we add a "vent" forum, then that's exactly what people will do and I am afraid we will accomplish exactly what we are trying not to do. People are intrigued by and want to talk and read about "the unusual." The purpose of this forum is let the people decide what they want to talk about. If we begin filtering it, then we are exactly the same thing as the community media group.

JohnZ 08-15-2007 09:45 AM

It would be a "filter".....just a separate place.

nanci2539 08-15-2007 10:22 AM

As a relative newcomer and not yet a resident, I find this forum extremely informative and helpful. The negativity in my opinion is pretty benign. And as Jan points out, such is life. I live in a country club now with covenants and I can go on and on about our developer. And some of the neighbors too!

I for one feel this is a great board and has only solidified my original opinion of TV. It's the place we want to be.

Anything posted that is construed as negative is helpful to me. It gives me a benchmark and some direction on what to look for and what to avoid.

When I moved from Boston to IL ten years ago (after spending my entire life in Boston); it took me years to find a good doctor; longer to find a good dentist and do I need start on how many different hairdressers I went through! We made mistakes when we had the house we live in now built. We should have done this or that. Now I know, thanks to this forum. At least I feel I have a good start.

zcaveman 08-15-2007 11:13 AM

I would expect that any forum is going to bring out some negatives but it also brings out many positives. That is life and that is the way a community such as ours goes. We have people from all over the country with their own ideas of what they want out of TV and what their expectations were from the sales people and the developers and they are going to comment on it - good or bad. Their experience here will only enhance or diminish their expectations.

I for one am a perfectly happy guy with what I perceived and what I am experiencing. Others are different. If you read the covenants that we have to uphold and look at some of the vagrant disregard for some of them (ie - under 55 residents, in area guest passes, etc) you are bound to get upset but in the long run there is not much you can do except vent in the forums.

I haven't been to any forum - either technical or open (aka TOTV) where you do not get negatives.

Personally, if the rants are not to my liking I just do a go back and find another subject.

Happy Villager 08-15-2007 12:41 PM

The thought that this is a "negative" forum was exactly what I was referring to when asked in one of the other posts if we are telling others about TOTV. Some people automatically assumed it was just another avenue for people to complain. I don't feel this is correct. If you don't agree with an idea or action why is it called "negative" thinking? If we looked at the stats of all the comments and discussions I would think the percentage of discussions on this site are not negative. Jan are you able to do a statistical calculation to hopefully prove this point? I admit I am upset over the "in area guest ID's" but I reiterate that there still is no place else like TV that I would rather live. The powers that be should not fear openess in government.

villager99 08-15-2007 12:49 PM

i see totv as a place to share experiences and information concerning our community. the fact that some of that may be negative need not detrack from it's value.

Russ_Boston 08-15-2007 12:57 PM

Someone's negative is someone else's cautionary warning. Jan mentions the train and those of us not there yet take notice. Doesn't mean we are not still considering TV. I have found this forum very helpful and i only wish i could be down there to meet some of you face to face.

rdkent 08-15-2007 01:38 PM

I'm not a resident yet, but am seriously considering TV for retirement in about 3 years or so. I stumbled across this site when I was doing research on TV, and I love it. It has answered a LOT of questions and given me a much better feel for what it is like there. It has reassured my somewhat shy wife about a lot of things. We have a much more positive feeling about the area BECAUSE of this site. It's like being in a virtual neighborhood, and we've found we like most of the neighbors based on the threads we follow. If management were smart they would encourage his site (if managment were smart we wouldn't have unions and I wouldn't have dropped out of the corporate world to work for myself several years ago, but that's another story). Anyway, keep up the good work. I'm getting addicted to the site. :) :) :)

rballruss 08-15-2007 01:50 PM

Jan,
Why not set up a poll where members can indicate their level of satisfaction with TV? I think you will find that, on a scale of 1-10, the results would be between 7 and 10, with 10 being the highest level of satisfaction. Stats like this would provide quantative evidence of the positive nature of TOTV. And then, if it doesn't, it would say something about this site. Just a thought.

LG 08-15-2007 01:53 PM

Hey.....

Why wouldn't they make those comments... When they cannot control exactly what they want people to think..then the next best thing is to bad mouth it. I think the positive feed back from all those afar tells the real story.

Jeniffer Parr if you are listening ( and I am sure you are ) PEOPLE want to know what the community is really like... This helps them understand.. IT A GREAT PLACE but not perfect. Learn to live with it.
Maybe focus on your employees not Pi??ing people off with your arrogance.

I would not change a thing about this forum... it is well balanced and a lot of smart people contribute.

:beer3: :beer2:

rballruss 08-15-2007 01:58 PM

For one....my rating would be a 9. I very much enjoy living in TV and I very much enjoy reading and responding to posts on TOTV as well as engaging in the nightly chats. So there! ;D

kar guy 08-15-2007 02:07 PM

YOUR RATING OF 9 IS PRETTY GOOD. MY THOUGHTS WERE MORE TOWARD 9.7 TO 9.8 TAKE CARE THE KAR GUY