Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   TV Gates (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/tv-gates-9279/)

Reggie 08-15-2007 09:47 AM

TV Gates

We are in the process of moving into our new, done by Tuesday we hope, and the gates are confusing us. It seems that they are really not gates as the people on them wave anyone through without any kind of check while the residents using their cards have to wait for the gate to open on their side. What is TV definition of controlled access or is there none? We thought that TV was gated with at least some control over who could get and who could not.

Indy-Guy 08-15-2007 11:34 AM

Re: TV Gates

The roads in The Villages are county public roads. The gates can not keep anyone out. All they can do is monitor who comes and goes. The gates that don't have a person at them have a non-resident side and those are monitored by a TV so they see who is coming in. Also The Villages watch has trucks that ride around 24-7 and keeping an eye on things. Many people don't think this is enough however I think most are comfortable with this set up. Sad that the salespeople don't address this without a direct question and then I would be curious how they answer this question.

nanci2539 08-15-2007 11:43 AM

We have security in our neighborhood (community) now. I live in a pretty prestige golf club (The LPGA is hosted here). We pay a fee quarterly. This includes 24 hour ride around security in their little gray cars!

One of their responsibilities is to notify residents, regardless of time, if they leave their garage door open.

Three times this happened to me (Hubby not paying attention) and not once did the security people come to my door to tell me the door was open. We have golf clubs, expensive bikes not to mention my husband's Porsche in the garage.

It happens everywhere! Three times is much for me but all I can do is complain and that gets me no where! And of course yell at hubby to be more careful!

MMC24 08-15-2007 12:36 PM

Unfortunately, the porous TV gate security rivels only the US/Mexican Border Security levels.

villager99 08-15-2007 12:40 PM

if my memory serves me right crimes in the villages in the 8 years i've lived here have been very few and carried out either by criminals walking in from cars parked on surrounding thoroughfares,in the public squares or shopping plazas or by"friends" of residents. so no the gates don't keep anyone out but relatively speaking it's a safe community.

Happy Villager 08-15-2007 12:48 PM

When we purchased in 2005 we had a very honest sales rep, Lori Morgan, who did explain that the roads in are village are county owned and maintained. The roads are open and the gates are considered more of a deterrent because non-residents do have to use the button and there are cameras there. The only thoughts that come to mind are if residents do what a gated community we would have to choose to maintain our roads and then there is the issue of no FEMA funding if the area is damaged during a tornado or hurricane. I lived in a city before moving here and we didn't have gates so I would have no problem removing them and saving the expense involved with them or keeping the status quo.

LG 08-15-2007 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Villager
When we purchased in 2005 we had a very honest sales rep, Lori Morgan, who did explain that the roads in are village are county owned and maintained. The roads are open and the gates are considered more of a deterrent because non-residents do have to use the button and there are cameras there. The only thoughts that come to mind are if residents do what a gated community we would have to choose to maintain our roads and then there is the issue of no FEMA funding if the area is damaged during a tornado or hurricane. I lived in a city before moving here and we didn't have gates so I would have no problem removing them and saving the expense involved with them or keeping the status quo.

MAYBE THATS WHY LORI LOST HER JOB "HONEST"

Happy Villager 08-15-2007 06:30 PM

LG, Lori did lose her job! How did you know that? Do you work for TV?

Hancle704 08-15-2007 06:44 PM

It's a safe community in so far that not everything has always been reported. For several years The Village Daily Sun never carried any news about crime, unless it was outside of TV. Now with other newspapers in area plus mobile television units from Orlando responding to situations in TV carried on police radios, there has been more reporting of events. There have been robberies, a murder, several known sexual predators identified as living in TV, standoffs with the police swat team from Lady Lake, many golf cart and golf bag thefts. Don't think we will reach the level of Orlando, but as TV has grown so have crimes. Sadly this happens in many areas because it is believed by some elements of society that seniors have money and are less attentive to what's going on around them. On the bright side, there is less crime in TV than in many other similar sized cities, towns and communities. Florida laws also allow folks to carry. Wouldn't be surprised if there are many Village residents who do. :cop:

jtdraig 08-15-2007 06:50 PM

Interesting stuff...Wildwood has a VERY bad section and a LOT of crime. All you need do is read the "happy happy" daily sun....and, if the Daily Sun carries it, you know it's gotta be a lot worse.
BUT, that said, no area is crime free...and, so far, all the crimes in the Villages have mostly been burglaries. With some proper cognizance, this can be minimized.