Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   WHERE WERE YOU WHEN 911 HIT (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/where-were-you-when-911-hit-9303/)

LG 08-16-2007 12:55 PM

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN 911 HIT

I was sitting on the runway at Dallas waiting to take off for New York. They shut down the engines and finally told us there was a security problem.. then all the cell phones started working and we learned that one of the towers had been hit. SCARY STUFF..... WE could not believe what we were hearing. :(

kar guy 08-16-2007 01:02 PM

Re: WHERE WERE YOU WHEN 911 HIT

I STOPPED OFF AT MY PARENTS HOME, NORTH OF DETROIT, AND WE WERE STANDING IN THE LIVING ROOM NOT BELIEVING WHAT WE WERE SEEING. VERY SCARY AND VERY REAL. YOU NEW THEN THAT LIFE WAS DIFFERENT.

bestmickey 08-16-2007 01:06 PM

I hadn't yet left for work...I watched it on the Today Show. I never did go to work that day. Besides being in shock, at the time I worked one level underground, under the tallest (only 42 stories) government building in Albany, NY. I didn't want to be there that day. So very sad. :'( :'( :'(

What was also sad was the Federal Govt lying to everyone, a couple days later saying the air was safe to breath. :realmad: We knew better. I worked for the State govt agency who did air monitoring/analysis of the air. Our results showed different from what the Feds reported (and yes, we had shared our results with the Feds at the time).

Fallchicks2 08-16-2007 03:45 PM

I was at my DR.'s office waiting for my appointment time. He had just heard the news on TV..yes that's right, he had a little TV on. Then he had a hard time focusing. We were all in shock and it was bad timing for an examination!

jtdraig 08-16-2007 04:08 PM

I had gone to work early that day and was in my Office in Southbury, CT when my assistant called for me to come out to her desk. We then flipped on a TV set. I told her point-blank that we were going to war. >:(

Patty 08-16-2007 04:39 PM

I was in St. Louis on a business trip. Had flown in late (around 11PM) the night before only because I couldn't get an early flight in on 9/11 to make my meeting on time. Needed to pick up my colleague at the St. Louis Airport at 8:30 AM arriving from Chicago. Saw the second plane hit while at my hotel room as I was checking out to go get her....I too , told her what had happened when she landed that we were going to war. I was also on the phone to JohnZ(hubby) as his office did not have a TV and limited outside internet access. I tried to keep him updated on information as I saw it happening. We went over to where our meeting was to be held and proceeded to try to get transportation back to Chicago and Atlanta respectively. We couldn't get another rental car anywhere so I ended up dropping her off at the St. Louis train station where she proceeded to Chicago and I kept the rental car and proceeded to drive east to Atlanta non-stop. There were very few cars on the road, mostly just truckers and I clearly remember many of them flying flags that day on their trucks.
I was never so happy to come home that day...

Sandy222 08-16-2007 05:05 PM

:( I was at work at Instron in Ma. with no access to radio or TV . We got a shocking phone call informing us what happened.

rnm 08-16-2007 05:10 PM

I was in the air flying from Ft. Myers to Greensboro, SC by way of Atlanta.

We never knew that the towers were hit until after we landed. Everyone on the plane was upset when they announced a delay in arrival to Atlanta - lots of moaning and groaning about missed connections etc. Little did we know.

I ended up stranded in Atlanta overnight until my husband could get from NC to pick me up.

I remember vividly walking into a restaurant across from the boarding gate just as the tower went down and later seeing the plane hit the building and getting physically ill.

Frangyomory 08-16-2007 05:13 PM

I had just retired from working for the Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps. I had many friends at the Pentagon and was blessed in that none of them were hurt. We lived in Northern Virginia at the time. After the first plane hit the WTC I called my sister on Long Island and as we spoke, the second plane hit. We were unable to talk for a few minutes and then simply cried on each others "shoulder" for a while. She had NBC on as I did and the shock was amazing. Then we heard about the Pentagon being hit and that was about 30 miles up the road from me. By the time we heard about the plan in Pennsylvania, we were all in shock.

Big changes after that at the Base where I had worked and where my husband continued to work until 2005. The MPs were behind concrete barriers and getting on the base was awful and time consuming.

I don't think I will ever forget that day. I just never expected that it could happen here in this great country but we had our eyes closed. Unfortunately, I believe after six years, our eyes and ears are once again closed.

God help us all.

sweetana3 08-16-2007 07:29 PM

I was home after rushing my husband to the airport while in my pjs for a trip to California. His friend did not pick him up due to oversleeping. So he was stuck in Dallas when they stopped air traffic and it took him 4 days to get home.

I was home alone watching CNN and after the first building fell, I drove to the blood bank and was giving blood while the second building fell. Odd. No one at the blood bank knew anything and could not really understand why I was crying. By the time I finished, the parking lot was full and security was directing traffic. Only thing I could think of that I could do in the Midwest.

Husband's company was fantastic. They located every employee around the world and assigned someone to call all the families where members were in travel status. Husband finally drove home from Dallas.

darbyduff 08-16-2007 07:33 PM

I was standing up giving my Orientation to a room full of Jurors when someone came in and told me to turn on the TV in the room. (large overhead wall screen) There was a juror who had a brother in the service in Washington at the Pentagon. We watched in horror along with the rest of the country and then the Presiding Judge cancelled all jury trials for the day! (23)

RayB 08-17-2007 07:54 AM

I was in Las Vegas attending a convention when my wife called from Tampa telling me to turn on the TV. What a surprise. Later that morning I had the thought that more places in the US may be a target and Las Vegas would be a perfect place to hit. A few minutes later the electricity went out in my hotel and I thought, "They hit the hotel!" I was stuck in Las Vegas and could not get out. Three days later the airlines still could not indicate when I could fly out. They would put me on a flight then cancel the flight. If I had to be stuck someplace, I could not think of a better place to be stuck than Las Vegas. Finally, I was able to rent a car and drove back to Tampa. It took a long time but I did get to see the country. The only bad thing is that my mother-in-law died while I was traveling and I just got back in time for the funeral.

LynnDeb 01-22-2013 08:38 AM

I lived in Staten Island, NY getting ready for work that morning....watching the today show it didnt sink in until I got to my library job and a patron came in and told us, we all seem oblivious to everything until the main office told us and dismissed us at 11:00am to go home.....

2BNTV 01-22-2013 09:01 AM

I was at work in CT totally oblivious to the tradgedy when I received a call from my son saying he was alright. I remember distinctly saying, "why wouldn't you be alright". He then informed what happened. He was working three blocks away in the basement odf a building and said he and his coworkers felt the building shake and said, "what was that"., They all looked at each other and went upstairs to see what was happening. He saw the first plane sticking out of the tower and started to walk uptown. The second plane hit and there was debris all over the place so he started running uptown to the hotel where his wife was working. He got home at almost midnight, it was a long day for him and the rest of the nation.

My niece was at The Pentagon working when the plane hit the next building over. She was alright but a somewhat close call. Thank GOD for our heroes of Flight 93 that forced the plane down in Pennsylvania.

NEVER FORGET!!!!!!!!

jackz 01-22-2013 09:05 AM

6 year old thread.