Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   This administrator would like your opinion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/administrator-would-like-your-opinion-9314/)

Talk Host 08-16-2007 07:07 PM

This administrator would like your opinion

Talk of the Villages has been approached by several political candidates about buying advertising here. At first, we considered doing it and in fact offered one candidate a great opportunity to reach the Villages voters with a forum of his own here on the board. The price was steep, but he agreed to it, but then backed out. He has since kinda dropped off the radar screen.

Here is my two part question. We have over 2,000 members currently and 250,00 page views a month and it grows each month. We reach lots and lots of Villages voters. As new residents and voters in this state, would you want to have political ads here on TOTV, or would you prefer that we not do it for anybody. Secondly, I have been around local, state and national politics for many, many years. I know just about all there is to know about the process. I would be willing to do some homework for all of us by examining the candidates for local and state office and make an official TOTV endorsement or at least some recommendations when the time comes. I really do know how to wade through their BS and separate the good from the bad. I would do it in a completely nonpartisan way. We all do need some guidance since we are so new. On the other hand, we could just leave it alone and do nothing at all with politics. Remember our vote and voice is important.

darbyduff 08-16-2007 07:26 PM

Re: This administrator would like your opinion

My only concern is that this political year we are going to be bombarded on the TV and Radio with "Vote for Me's) This is such a calming spot to come to I'm not sure it would be something I would want here. Yes, I would be interested in hearing from candidates in other forums and would like to be notified if they are speaking somewhere in TV but that, I'm afraid would be it for me.

I have been involved in partisan politics for over 30 years. I ran local campaigns as well as a paid consultant and worker on national campaigns. I was the 6th congressional chairman here in Colorado for 5 years etc. I'm afraid I walked away from all of that and am really happy to not get involved even in a small way. But, that said....If everyone is for it....I'll throw my hat in that ring too!!

REDCART 08-16-2007 07:54 PM

TOTV is not free and if you need the revenue to keep this board going, I say take the money. I'm sure you won't surrender total oversight. If political attacks get out of hand, you'll shut them down. I'm also sure that all candidates should be interested in reaching TV voters, and if they're not interested, that will say something about how they feel about Villager votes. For my two cents. I have no objections. Good luck.

Oh by the way, maybe you could keep them out of the General Forum. You see I want it both ways.

zcaveman 08-16-2007 08:52 PM

I have no problem as long as the politicians in Marion County are aware of the ability to use TOTV. I know that the Marion County area of TV is small and are always slighted when it comes to being advertised in the Daily Sun - garbage pickup, election candidates, etc - so I will agree if we are properly represented.

Happy Villager 08-16-2007 09:23 PM

I think it might be a good idea especially if we can ask them questions. I for one was not happy when Gov. Christ and the FL legislature put the citizens of this state at risk when they sold reinsurance coverage to insurance companies. If the state gets hit with a large catastrophe how did they plan on paying out the coverage losses if not on our backs.

jim16g 08-16-2007 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darbyduff
My only concern is that this political year we are going to be bombarded on the TV and Radio with "Vote for Me's) This is such a calming spot to come to I'm not sure it would be something I would want here. Yes, I would be interested in hearing from candidates in other forums and would like to be notified if they are speaking somewhere in TV but that, I'm afraid would be it for me.

I have been involved in partisan politics for over 30 years. I ran local campaigns as well as a paid consultant and worker on national campaigns. I was the 6th congressional chairman here in Colorado for 5 years etc. I'm afraid I walked away from all of that and am really happy to not get involved even in a small way. But, that said....If everyone is for it....I'll throw my hat in that ring too!!

I agree. We get enough political ads from other sources.

JohnZ 08-16-2007 10:05 PM

I think an unbiased presentation of all candidates is the way to go. I recommend TOTV to take a neutral postion. Once you "officially endorse" a candidate, you obviously run the risk of alienating those who hold a different view. This can be especially damaging when soliciting other potential advertisers and not to mention that your existing sponsors may not like the TOTV endorsement as well. But, of course you already know this and that it's a tough business decision.

Personally, as a business owner, I would not want to jeopardize losing a single customer's business by advocating a particular political position and being careless enough to attach my business's name to my personal views. My Franchisor doesn't not allow this anyway...and for a good reason.

I like to assess the views of the candidates myself, all candidates, and form my own conclusion. I'm an intelligent guy and I don't need others to wade through the B.S for me.

Avista 08-17-2007 06:19 AM

I agree with JohnZ.

"I think an unbiased presentation of all candidates is the way to go. I recommend TOTV to take a neutral postion."

Those who want can always "discuss" on Political Forum.

F16 1UB 08-17-2007 07:06 AM

JohnZ

:agree:

Steve

villages07 08-17-2007 07:50 AM

I agree with gryoung's post.... if you have a chance to earn some revenue to compensate you for maintaining this site...go for it. But, it needs to be non-intrusive...no different than your other sponsors. Any candidates who want to interact with your members can use a separate topic within the forum. Keep the general discussion pure and away from politics. I agree with JohnZ that your offer to do analysis and provide endorsements may cause you more heartburn than it is worth.

beady 08-17-2007 08:19 AM

I agree with village 07 and F16 1UB if you can use the revenue to compensate your time and effort go for it.

Keep the political discussions unbiased and in a separate forum.

I will listen and interact with any candidate that wants to capture my vote.

This sight has been invaluable to us in our search for a TV home. Armed with all we have learned on TOTV we will make a better informed decision in September when we hopefully find a home.

kar guy 08-17-2007 08:41 AM

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT BUT ONLY ON A SEPARATE FORUM. I DO NOT WANT TO GO THROUGH 40 PLUS "ADS" FOR POLITICAL WHATEVER TO GET TO WHAT I WANT.

SteveZ 08-17-2007 08:51 AM

Suggest that before you take any political ad, you may want to check with a media attorney. The internet is such a crazy communications mode, so whether any of the "equal access" reporting laws apply here could be a concern, as well as the cost of reporting, maintenance of records that may be specific to political advertising, etc..

This is a great forum, and it does come with a cost. Just my 2-cents worth.

LG 08-17-2007 10:27 AM

I would like to keep it neutral also..... I say no advertising, but they surely can post to the political forum if they wish... Q & A only

Talk Host 08-17-2007 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LG
I would like to keep it neutral also..... I say no advertising, but they surely can post to the political forum if they wish... Q & A only

This could be a big mistake. One inch turns into a mile. I can see certain candidates taking advantage of the fourm. I think there should be some harnesses.