Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   Wireless Computers (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/wireless-computers-9335/)

walkingfool 08-18-2007 06:35 AM

Wireless Computers

I have a question. I am currently in Vermont for the summer. I bought a wireless computer to use up here and had a friend set it up for me. Now the question is.....when I drive back to TV and I stay at a motel and if it has wireless connection....do I just plug my charger into the wall of my room and turn on my computer???

Talk Host 08-18-2007 06:44 AM

Re: Wireless Computers

Not quite that easy. Your computer will have to locate the wireless network. It possibly could do it automatically, but more likely, you will have to search for it. It's easy, actually.

walkingfool 08-18-2007 06:48 AM

How do I search for it?????

Talk Host 08-18-2007 07:13 AM

There are people here who can it explain it better than I can. It really is easy, but I am not an instructor. Somebody is going to jump in here and tell you. Unless you are set up to block auto search (which I doubt) it will automatically locate the availabe network. My laptop requires me to search for it.

bogeygolfer 08-18-2007 08:01 AM

Check the manual and see if you have an ethernet connection on the back of the computer. If you do then, if they don't have wireless in the hotel, you just need an ethernet cord to hook up to their system with your computer. It you have the connector the cord should be less than $10 at Walmart or wherever. :bigthumbsup:

Sandy222 08-18-2007 08:12 AM

We just had an experience with using our wireless computer in a hotel in LasVegas. There are 3 different situations.

If there is a wireless router in the room no need to plug anything in.

If they have a broadband router you have to plut the ethernet cable into the port.

If they have an old phone line modem you have to use a regular phone cable.

Our hotel had the cables available for us to use. (of course the one we took wasn't the correct one) All the instructions to hook up were in the room literature.

Hope this helps.

Russ_Boston 08-18-2007 09:09 AM

All the above are correct and you will find various combinations depending on the hotel.

Usually with a wireless (yours already works at home so that hurdle is crossed) all you need to do is turn it on and the laptop will find the signal automatically. It searches for your current signal but since you are away it then searches for the best available.

If that doesn't work you can choose a new wireless connection by hitting an icon on the lower right hand side of the screen. The icon usually looks like an antenna. Just double click and then pick a connection from the list. It should connect after you click it.

If all else fails you can connect with a wire as mentioned above. The desk clerk should be able to provide one or they are sometimes in the desk draw in the room.

walkingfool 08-18-2007 09:28 AM

Thanks so much....You're :#1:

784caroline 08-22-2007 08:06 AM

I have a wireless set up using a Linksys router.....HOw do I secure my connection!! Is this is difficult task!

2Wheels 09-01-2007 04:22 AM

Seem like no one turns on the security features for wireless. If I were a thief, I would never need to pay for my internet again.

Just google "Linksys" and "security", you'll find instructions with screen shots. And yes, it is easy to setup.

I use 128 bit WEP passphrase and MAC Filtering. The MAC filter limits what computers can talk to the router. Each computer's network interface has a unique serial number and if that number is not configured in the router then the router won't accept a connection. Also, change the router's administor password.

zcaveman 09-01-2007 10:13 PM

Make sure you set up an SSCPID (probably in the googled info) and go into your router and tell it not to broadcast the SSCPID. That will make it harder for anyone on the outside to find your wireless network. Basically you will not exist to outside users looking for connections.

2Wheels 09-02-2007 04:24 AM

zcaveman - I agree, turn off SSID Broadcasting to be very stealthy.

jjdees 09-02-2007 04:16 PM

Z, Where do I find it?

F16 1UB 09-03-2007 09:48 AM

Inquiring minds need to know the inevitable. If one does not set up a security network on his wireless, what ramifications may they incur?

Steve

nyclicker 09-03-2007 09:58 AM

If you leave your router unsecured any of your neighbors can log on through your connection if they have a wireless card installed in their computer. If there are any illegal activities on their computer your IP address will show up and the police will end up at your door. Probably won’t happen but why take the chance.