Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   How do you find a good doctor? It's a crap shoot. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/how-do-you-find-good-doctor-its-crap-shoot-9346/)

Talk Host 08-18-2007 03:23 PM

How do you find a good doctor? It's a crap shoot.

How does a person go about finding the right doctor. Who do you check with. The Med society is no help, they just refer you to the next one in line. I guess it is trial and error? Sadly our life and health sometimes cannot stand trial and error.

jjdees 08-18-2007 06:13 PM

Re: How do you find a good doctor? It's a crap shoot.

I found the best bet is referrals from friends and neighbors. I once called my cardiologist for a referral and I found out later that the referral was actually from one of his clerical staff. No more, I'll depend on good referrals from people who have real experience with the MDs.

Villages Kahuna 08-18-2007 09:26 PM

I Agree With The "Friend's Recommendation" Idea

When I came to TV, I decided to thoroughly research the doctor I would choose to be my "Florida doctor". (Thankfully, I maintain a relationship with the physician I had "up north".) After a lot of research on the internet, even to the extent of learning about the reputation of the hospitals where my potential candidates did their internships and residencies, I selected a doctor who had graduated from a midwestern medical school and had done his internship and residency in good hospitals. He was board-certified and practiced in a well-known medical group with offices in TV and Leesburg. Everything seemed fine.

After choosing him, I scheduled an appointment for a physical. I found that my chosen doctor had the bedside manner of a sea slug. His idea of a physical was little more than pee in a bottle and "cough". I was quite disappointed after having become accustomed to very thorough and lengthy annual exams at a large teaching hospital in Chicago. But I was here now, so I labored on with the idea of my choice.

Then one day I whacked my shin while riding my bike. In 4-5 days my lower leg became very hot, red and swollen. I scheduled an appointment with my newly-chosen doc. He took a quick look and feel and prescribed a diruretic and potassium to offset the effect of the diruetic. "Got to get the swelling down", he said. A couple more days passed and my leg was really looking ugly. I called the doc again and he said I should go to TV Regional Hospital and tell them I wanted an ultrasound to check for a possible blood clot.

When I arrived at TVRH emergency room, the doc there asked what drugs my doctor had prescribed. When I told him, he shook his head and asked, "no anti-biotics?" Nope, I answered. The ER doc explained that he would order the ultrasound, but that my problem was a raging case of cellulitis that by that point had spread up my leg from my foot to just below my knee. He described the symtoms as "classic", which I verified with later research on the internet. The ER doc was quite concerned and explained that cellulitis was a very serious bacterial infection that if not treated properly could result in serious damage to bone and tissue and could actually be fatal. The ultrasound was negative as he expected and he started me on an aggressive protocol of anti-biotics.

My treatment took about four weeks and 10-11 doctor's visits for the cellulitis to disappear. I never again heard from my "chosen" doctor...and he isn't going to hear from me. I took the recommendation of one of my neighbors and I'm now seeing a very careful and caring doctor right in Lake Sumter Landing...as well as my "northern doctor" during trips up north. They have both agreed to work together for my well-being. So far, I'm very pleased.

So I'd recommend skipping all the research and solicit the opinions of your friends and neighbors. The information posted on TVRH website or the websites of the doctors' groups while factual, doesn't give you much more than a coin-flip of a chance of truly evaluating their qualifications. After choosing and meeting a new doctor recommended to you, if you have even the slightest misgivings about him/her, dump him and head on the another choice.

villager99 08-19-2007 02:55 PM

one good way to enhance the process is to attend some of the many free health seminars local doctors give at rec centers within the villages.
check the daily sun for ads of these and for new doctor's open houses.

Avista 08-19-2007 04:56 PM

I found my opthamologist just that way. Dr Ahmed was giving a free seminar at Ocala Eye. I am very pleased.

bestmickey 08-19-2007 05:37 PM

;D I'm trying to get my Internist to relocate when I do. He's seriously considering it!!!

sparky 09-12-2007 06:22 PM

I have been here 5 years and I finally found a good Internal Medicine doctor.

Fredric M. Davis, D.O. is located across from the Leesburg hospital but will be moving to The Villages this year. He doesn't believe in a lot of drugs and he takes time to listen to your problem. Call him at 352-326-7850.

flredhead 09-13-2007 02:37 PM

I would highly recommend and suggest if you are looking for a great Internal Medicine doctor you go to Dr. Eburuche (now in Mulberry but soon moving to Sharon Morse Bldg). Great education and a truly caring doctor. They are hard to come by here in TV.

Avista 09-13-2007 05:08 PM

Firedhead, I agree with you 100% Dr Eburuche is wonderful. I feel so lucky that I found her. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

travelstiles 11-12-2007 02:37 PM

Re: How do you find a good doctor?

We will be visiting from 12/5 to 12/10 and moving permanently to TV later in Dec. We'd like to visit Dr. Eburuche and any other doctors that residents are happy with. Contact info for their offices would be appreciated, thanks!

jadebox 11-12-2007 03:17 PM

What happens if you are seeing Dr Carmelita Eberuche and you have to be admitted to the hospital? Her FL profile
http://ww2.doh.state.fl.us/IRM00prof...9&ProfNBR=1501
says she has no hospital privileges

MSNPA 11-12-2007 08:56 PM

Yipes - I wonder what that means? She can't visit you if you are in the hospital? I just made an appointment with her for December and was told she was moving to the Saron Morse Building. Isn't that in or by the hospital?

jadebox 11-12-2007 10:43 PM

I am wondering if the info is old and not updated but would like to know before I make an appointment.

Avista 11-12-2007 11:12 PM

Why don't you call her office and ask? I know a new speciality for physicians is a "Hospitalist". They are physicians who will follow a patient while he is in the hospital and then turn the patient back to his PCP when he is discharged. My mother had a hospitalist when she was in the hospital a few years ago. It worked out fine for her. Also, my husband's cousin's son specializes in hospital care.

Since this is more and more common, perhaps this is the situation.
More on "hospitalists" http://rangelmd.com/hospitalist.html

jadebox 11-13-2007 12:55 AM

:redface: I was going to call but first thought I would be lazy and ask here. I did a search of doctors with privileges here and her name was on the list for Leesburg and TV.
She needs to update her profile.