Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   How fast did your old house sell? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/how-fast-did-your-old-house-sell-9373/)

Talk Host 08-20-2007 06:44 AM

How fast did your old house sell?

4 years ago in Binghamton, New York, (actually Vestal) very few houses were selling. When we decided to sell and move to The Villages, we held our breath because our house was semi-rural with a septic system and well. It was on two acres and we had a pool. Many of these things were strikes against it. Not to mention the price. It was slightly above what is considered "moderate."

The agent, who was referred to us by the Villages, held an open house on the second Sunday following the listing. The second family that came in, made an offer :o They wanted to move in so quickly that we moved into an apartment for a month while our house here was being built.

It was a really neat place up there. Two acres with a bass pond surrounded by forrest land. Crystal clear nights, no noise. But, man was it cold in the winter with a very short summer.

bamafan 08-20-2007 07:04 AM

Re: How fast did you old house sell?

We had been visiting the Villages for about 2 years and decided like many before us that we wanted to make TV home. We had an agent who had sold our previous home, give us some advice. We spent most of January and February getting things ready "staging our home", cleaning out closets and all. On Feb 23rd we listed our home. At the time I asked the agent how long? The market was just starting to get tight in Birmingham. She said it would be sold in 90 days. We closed on the 89th day. We have always felt that if was meant to be it would happen. We close on our home in the Villages on Aug 30th. Jan, like you I am now stuck in apartment till the move to TV.

Avista 08-20-2007 07:28 AM

Re: How fast did your old house sell?

We moved from Tampa. Put the house on the market Labor Day last year. Got a contract Christmas and closed Feb 1 --per buyer's request. Then we loved in our motor home a couple of weeks and closed in The Villages Feb 16.

Villages Kahuna 08-20-2007 09:24 AM

We're Still Thanking Lucky Stars

In the seven months our house on Chicago's north shore was on the market, we got only 15 "lookers". Without exaggeration, the house was beautiful...on an acre in the woods, new premium kitchen and baths, beautiful patio and gazebo, entirely decorated within the last two years, all the "mechanicals" new within five years, one of the best school district's in the country, and so on.

We thank our lucky stars that it finally sold on the day we left for our new house in TV. I was initially aggravated that I had to discount it in a double-digit percentage from our initial asking price after successfully negotiating up from a ridiculous low-ball initial offer. I'm convinced that if we hadn't sold it last October, we'd still be sitting on it, paying for it, maintaining it, etc. I'm equally certain that it would be worth a whole lot less that what we thought was a low price less than a year ago.

kar guy 08-20-2007 09:44 AM

MID FEBRUARY OF 07 WE LISTED OUR HOME. WE ARE CLOSING ON 9-7-07. WE TOOK LESS THAN WE WANTED BUT LOOK WHERE WE ARE GOING. WE COULD NOT BE HAPPIER. TAKE CARE THE KAR GUY

Indy-Guy 08-21-2007 08:24 PM

Everyone told us that homes aren't selling so I put a for sale by owner sign in the yard and sold my home in Indianapolis in 2 weeks and yes sold it myself. No realtor!!!!!! I sold it for more $ than any other home on my street had ever sold for. This was in November of 2007. I had purchased villa in Poinciana 2 years ago and decided to spend the full year in The Villages. My bride and I are very happy hear. Yes we were lucky.

az2fla 08-21-2007 08:40 PM

Indy Guy
I just need the winning numbers for the next Power Ball lottery. Since you know that you'll sell your home for mucho dinero this coming "November of 2007" I figure you must know the upcoming numbers of the lottery, as well.
Just kidding ;D as I'm sure you meant November of 2006 but I just couldn't resist. Congratulations and selling by owner and saving those big commission payouts is a big plus.

mejahu 08-22-2007 07:01 AM

Indy Guy What zip was your old house in? As you know there are LOTS of vacant houses in Indianapolis, especially the east side. The property tax mess up hasn't helped. I see some houses selling in 46226 but not much in 46201. How do you find the cost of living and maintaining a home in TV as compared to Indianapolis?

F16 1UB 08-22-2007 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Guy
Everyone told us that homes aren't selling so I put a for sale by owner sign in the yard and sold my home in Indianapolis in 2 weeks and yes sold it myself. No realtor!!!!!! I sold it for more $ than any other home on my street had ever sold for. This was in November of 2007. I had purchased villa in Poinciana 2 years ago and decided to spend the full year in The Villages. My bride and I are very happy hear. Yes we were lucky.

WOW ! I CAN ONLY WISH. GET ON A PLANE & I'LL PICK YOU UP AT DAYTON IAP AND DRIVE YOU TO NEW CARLISLE OH AND YOU PUT THE SIGN IN THE YARD. WAIT A MINUTE. I STILL GOT A CONTRACT WITH MY REALTOR. Never mind.

STEVE

Patty 08-22-2007 08:25 PM

This was surprising to us as well as we did not expect this....
Put our house on the market Oct 12, 2006 and had our first visitor on Oct 13, 2006 at 7:30 pm ....had a verbal at 10 :30 pm the same day....closed 5 weeks later and suddenly and unexpectedly moved to our " rental villa" in the Villages on Nov 21..... still unpacking as we are both still fully employed and limited time to unpack....
No regrets...would do it again. btw... we did the " designed to sell" suggestions to sell quickly...we packed up all personal items and made it look and feel as if it were a resort or a hotel. Repainted and made it very neutral and followed the television show recommendations of neutralizing and depersonalizing to a tee....less than 24 hours to a written contract! We had a St. Joseph but never was able to get him into the ground before the contract!

Indy-Guy 08-22-2007 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mejahu
Indy Guy What zip was your old house in? As you know there are LOTS of vacant houses in Indianapolis, especially the east side. The property tax mess up hasn't helped. I see some houses selling in 46226 but not much in 46201. How do you find the cost of living and maintaining a home in TV as compared to Indianapolis?

I lived on the small lake by the Pyramids 46268 on West Point Dr. The homes on my street have always sold quick and mine was on the lake. Also I sold it in November of 2006 not 2007 as quoted earlier.

I don't feel that it runs me that much more to maintain a home in TV compared to Indy. Just got my homeowners Ins. and it jumped way up there. Just over $1,000. from around $700.00. The heating and air bills for November through April were nothing compared to Indy more thatn makes up for the Insurance. Electric bills for the air were same or less than Indy. My tax bill will change for next year as I live here full time now will have to wait and see.

gigi22 08-22-2007 10:27 PM

I'm so excited! We accepted an offer today! We're in the Detroit area and houses aren't selling well at all. We stuck a for sale sign in our front yard, July 5th, even though we were planning to fix up the house. We live on a lake and the summer is the best time to sell. The people who are buying our house will be out of the country until April, so part of our deal is that after closing we get to stay here rent free until then. Also, they want to update the house themselves, so we don't have to do any more work : ) Wish us luck that all goes well with the inspections, etc. We're excited about moving to TV! We came down in April and June and decided that it was the place for us.

F16 1UB 08-24-2007 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigi22
I'm so excited! We accepted an offer today! We're in the Detroit area and houses aren't selling well at all. We stuck a for sale sign in our front yard, July 5th, even though we were planning to fix up the house. We live on a lake and the summer is the best time to sell. The people who are buying our house will be out of the country until April, so part of our deal is that after closing we get to stay here rent free until then. Also, they want to update the house themselves, so we don't have to do any more work : ) Wish us luck that all goes well with the inspections, etc. We're excited about moving to TV! We came down in April and June and decided that it was the place for us.

:clap2: FANTASTIC

golfnut 08-24-2007 09:54 AM

good for you gigi, we're also in Detroit area haven't put house up yet but probably shhould at least try by owner like you did, what can it hurt eh?

gigi22 08-24-2007 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfnut
good for you gigi, we're also in Detroit area haven't put house up yet but probably shhould at least try by owner like you did, what can it hurt eh?

Thanks!! :) At first, I resisted putting up a for sale sign before the house was ready, but my husband pushed it, and he was right. If you're going to sell a house on the lake, you have to do it in the summertime. There were a couple of other houses for sale on our street, so people saw ours on their way to those homes. We never did any advertising. The inspection is Monday morning. Once we're through that, I'll feel better. We should be able to move to TV in March. This works out well, because it gives us a chance to sell furniture, etc. and downsize. Good luck with your house! Putting a sign in front can't hurt...you never know!