Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   If you had to do it again, what would you add to the house (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/if-you-had-do-again-what-would-you-add-house-9413/)

Talk Host 08-22-2007 03:40 PM

If you had to do it again, what would you add to the house

We were like kids designing our house. We spend thousands and thousands more than we thought we should have. Now, we wish we would have added more.

We should have put a bathroom outside by the pool.
Five more feet in the garage
More electric outlets
A circular driveway in front
2 more feet to the master bedroom.

How about you guys?

handieman 08-22-2007 08:28 PM

Re: If you had to do it again, what would you add to the house

KRISTY BRINKLY
Handie :joke:

nanci2539 08-23-2007 09:06 AM

TalkHost, can you request all these things (such as you wrote) when putting together your list for the dream house. Our sales rep asked us to do this - said he could get as close as possible to our desired amenities.

I like the idea of the circular driveway but I don't remember seeing these in the designer homes we were looking at. Is this something the homeowner needs to do once moved in? We are looking between 2200-2400 sq feet of designer home - is there such a thing if you add on space (one of the options the rep gave us; he said he can find a home with added space if we want).

pili 08-23-2007 09:20 AM

Hi,

Are you saying I can add whatever amenities I want? There was a post saying we couldn't add anything. I'm interested in a small pool in the lanai area. If you have one, please let me know. Did it add a lot of cost to your house? We are interested in the designer homes. Thanks a million.

nanci2539 08-23-2007 09:38 AM

Pili, you can't customize your new home; meaning, the building won't add or take away. What you see is what you get.

But if you give your wish list to a TV sales rep, they will do their best to accommodate you.

I struggled with this too - it just didn't make any sense to me. Why would the builder not let you upgrade - its more money in his pocket. The way I understand this is at one time, there was a place called the Street of Dreams (am I right here), where potential home buyers could go and select everything from tile to cabinet handles, from formica to granite.

They did away with this - it's now a furniture store called Southern Living. Our sales rep said it's actually more profitable to the builder to just construct homes putting in what amenities that they felt people would want. Of course, the more you spend, the more the amenities. You can buy a designer home for $250K that's pretty basic or an upgraded model for $400K BUT, you can't select colors, textures, etc.

I don't like it, I will have a hard time with it but the chances of them going back to what it was is nil. '

My post about customizing was referring to what we would do when we bought or requesting this in our efforts to buy a home and hoping that I get some of what I want!

DickY 08-23-2007 09:51 AM

As I was searching the new homes on thevillages.com site looking for a home I would buy when I win the lottery, I saw one with a pool in the enclosed lanai for sale on the virtual tour.

eujaynia 08-23-2007 10:20 AM

We own a Villa-- I have many ideas of how I would change it. I am not particularly fond of the layout, as it's more like 'an apartment' style floorplan to me. However, I have made peace with only having around 1400 sq ft and the fact that I better get into a more 'designer' mentality to make it be more eye-pleasing. The countertops are not what I would have chosen, if I would have had that luxury; however, they are not the shoddiest I've ever seen in a new home, either. I've decided this would be the only thing I'd upgrade at this time, since tearing a wall out of a new home is nuts to me when it's new. :)

I think why contractors will not allow any choosing is because they would get into a war with so many people designing their homes. We're picky ... we've worked hard all our lives to be able to live in this type of community and feel all the sacrifices in life we made to get here shouldn't continue, so of course we're going to want it exactly to our specifications. If they just say take it or leave it, we'll take it and upgrade or rearrange our floor plans as we can, just getting as close to it originally as we can.

Regardless-- I LOVE OUR PLACE. I love being on ONE floor! No more walking up 3-flights of stairs (at least during the winter LOL) two or three times because I can't remember what the heck I went there for the first 2 times!

Blessings All,
Rebekah E Spahn

SteveZ 08-23-2007 11:14 AM

One of the things I'm looking forward to when "full retirement" comes is the ability to alter/customize/change/whatever our house with the TIME to enjoy doing it. No place is ever "right" even if you control the blueprints, building and every ounce of material that goes into it in the beginning. it's only after living in it for a while that the urge to tinker with things really materializes. The trick is to have the time and money to do the tinkering without other pressures interfering.

zcaveman 08-23-2007 12:15 PM

I purchase my house when you could still "build it". I would have liked a water spigot in the back, the wider driveway, more electric outlets (half of mine are blocked by bookcases), a golf cart garage, a family room/lanai configuration, outside fan on the front courtyard deck area, and one more telephone outlet in the living room, an electric range,an outside exhaust system from the range area and a non-popcorn ceiling.

swrinfla 08-23-2007 01:01 PM

Jan:
I think it's a little unfair to bring this up now that no one can "build to suit" the way we did back in 2004-2005. It appears that new buyers can't do anything, at least not before-hand, only after they've laid out oodles of money for their new home.
After 42 years in my now-100-plus-year-old three-story (plus full basement) relic up north, I had the best time doing my own place. There were a couple of modifications I would like to have done that wouldn't "fit" the lot on which the house sits, but now I'm just too happy to be here to care about that sort of thing. I continue to be mystified as to why The Developer abandoned the option, despite the obvious "bottom-line" benefits to him!

The Great Fumar 08-23-2007 01:14 PM

One thing you can look for is a golf cart garage..it adds so much more room to store things besides your golf cart....
I don't have one but I do have a 4 by 17 ft. extension on the side of my garage and its a close second......
However the golfcart garage is the only way to go.........

good luck

Talk Host 08-23-2007 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swrinfla
Jan:
I think it's a little unfair to bring this up now that no one can "build to suit" the way we did back in 2004-2005.

It was not my intention to be "unfair." There are tons of people on the forum who did build their houses and can relate to the question. In addition, I have heard that there will once again be "build to suit" in the Villages. I don't know if that's just a rumor or if its true. In any event, I was just making conversation, with absolutely no intention to offend anyone.

F16 1UB 08-23-2007 01:28 PM

May sound silly but do the closets have lights in them?

Steve

And Rebekah cracked me up when she mentioned going upstairs and forgetting what for. heh heh

golfnut 08-23-2007 01:42 PM

I do the same thing now, hop on the golf cart and get three blocks away and forget why I left the house. I usually just slow down a bit and it comes back to me.

F16 1UB 08-23-2007 01:49 PM

Golfnut I just got back from the grocery. 25 miles one way. Was also going to a fishing tackle shop with a $25 gift certificate that expires tomorrow. Got the groceries no problem. Forgot the :edit: gift certificate and drove home. Contemplating on whether to drive back. Lets see - 26 mpg X ........ Yeah, I'd We'd fit right in.

Steve