Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Deed Restricted Communities (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/deed-restricted-communities-9440/)

Avista 08-25-2007 06:19 AM

Deed Restricted Communities

Why do people who are against deed restricted communities decide to buy in one? Prior to moving to The Villages, we lived in another deed restricted community. We were surprised at the number of people who moved in without reading the covenants and then ended up complaining. It would seem prudent to read the covenants first and then decide if this is something you can live with before signing a contract. If you can't live with the covenants, buy someplace else.

mejahu 08-25-2007 07:25 AM

Re: Deed Restricted Communities

:agree: It's my understanding that this information is presented at the last minute, instead of when it should be, early on. Living in a non-restricted community, I would have to be convinced I wouldn't have a problem with the restrictions. Most of the newer communities seem to have put this concept into practice. Seeing the decline of our regular neighborhoods, I try to understand why it's considered necessary. I think it tends to get out of hand when it covers anything and everything. Then it feels like a place to visit but you don't own anything!

Avista 08-25-2007 07:50 AM

We got one from our sales rep early on in our looking. Note the covenants are different for each Village.

mejahu 08-25-2007 08:46 AM

I did notice that. Since the information isn't especially a selling point, I don't suppose it's possible to get it in advance without insisting. I noticed a lot of discussion was generated when the rumor about not allowing dogs came up. But rules can change and what then? I really like the information that comes from this site. It's very helpful. Guess it's apparent I'd be looking for less rules rather than more rules. :)

Avista 08-25-2007 09:10 AM

On the contrary, I think deed restrictions ARE a selling point. Look how nice our neighborhoods look. We have always felt deed restrictions protect our property values.

mejahu 08-25-2007 09:36 AM

It's comparatively recently that rules became necessary to get people to do what they should be doing anyway - using common sense. ??? Different strokes for different folks! Not sure I'll be convinced on this one. Maybe I belong on the outback - No Rules, Just Right! :joke:

kar guy 08-25-2007 09:44 AM

WE ARE BUYING IN TV BECAUSE OF THE RESTRICTIONS. I AM NOW AT A PLACE WHERE FEW RESTRICTIONS ARE ENFORCED AND WOW DOES IT LOOK BAD. KEEP THE RESTRICTIONS AND WE WILL KEEP IT NEAT. TAKE CARE . THE KAR GUY

jjdees 08-25-2007 10:33 AM

Covenants are for the protection of our neighborhoods. Our sub in north Atlanta is a small (32) custom home community and because of weak covenants, we have 2 problem houses that are killing the marketability and home value for the rest of us. Both homes are at the entrance and are very visible when entering the sub. Both have junk all over the yards. One has large rugs draped over the deck rails, trash on the driveway, cars parked on the lawn. The other had 3 lawn tractors, 2 lawn mowers, ladders, a soccer goal, a large garbage can, and miscellaneous other junk on the driveway permanently. The sub is very comparable to a premier neighborhood in the villages. If we had stronger more specific covenants, this wouldn't be occurring. I for one am very supportive of strong covenants. I don't agree with those that go overboard like you can't keep your garage open unless a car is entering or leaving etc. but those that protect our investments are well worth the trouble.

darbyduff 08-25-2007 02:25 PM

I couldn't agree more with the covenants. :agree:

We have a very strict Deed Restricted community here in Colorado and we have only 1 rental unit in our community.They believe that NO PARKING -FIRE LANE in front of their home is their own personal parking space. Then we have the neighbors to the left. They are always running late so instead of parking in their garage (jam packed with ??????) they park kiddie corner across their side walk! We have written letters, warnings, fined them but nothing works. We are only a 22 unit community so if we were to follow through with our threats, we would have the cars towed...but no one has the :edit: to do it! It really brings us all down (and these are $200,000 plus townhomes)

Down in TV we're all on the same page!!!! If you want to see individuality in the homes, come on inside!!! There is plenty of room indoors for those pink flamingos etc!!!! ;D ;D ;D

BUC 08-25-2007 04:11 PM

Freedom is not free! I think that if people use the logic that they have trashy yards and property would not be a problem. It was posted earlier that the restriction change and get worse on a regular basis. I belonged to a country club, it was wonderful the golf course was in excellent condition, a bunch of good people there, you could always get a game up, the bar, the dining room all excellent. Then a bunch of "Blue Hairs" took control and everything started going downhill, at first just a couple small changes and restriction, now no one belongs there except for the Blue Hairs. We should have stopped this before it was to late but we didn't. The same thing seems to be happening at the TV. Stand up for your rights. I'm not saying to be messy or have your property in bad repair. Just demand your property rights on the property that you have paid for. A permium price I might add. Some people should just mind there own business and worry about the property they bought. Don't let the "Blue Hairs "control your lives.

villages07 08-25-2007 04:30 PM

Sorry Buc, I must respectfully disagree. If someone expects and requires total freedom to do with their property as they please, then they should buy and live in an area with no deed restrictions. Like it or not, deed restrictions are part of the overall lifestyle in TV and I daresay the VAST majority of residents agree with them. This being a FREE democracy, the majority rules. I'll ignore the BLUE HAIR comments for now. Hope you find somewhere that meets your needs.

RayB 08-25-2007 05:49 PM

Having lived over 23 years in Florida and having purchased three homes during that time, I can assure people new to Florida there are no upscale communities in Florida without deed restrictions. It is just a fact: The tighter and more comprehensive the covenents the better the community appearance and the higher the property values. This was necessary in Florida because before these restrictions we would make the greatest investment of our lives in a nice home only to see property values deteriorate because someone in the neighborhood decides to excersize his or her property rights to do whatever they want.

I never buy a home in Florida without asking for a copy of the deed restrictions or covernance well ahead of the closing date so I can study and understand all restrictions before the date of signing. It is the law the developer must provide these restrictions ahead of time if they are requested. If I do not like what I see, I don't close. If someone does not understand or read the restrictions ahead of the closing date or during the closing then it is their fault when they find something they do not like. And finally, if someone does not like deed restrictions then why did they buy in The Villages? Go someplace else. I guarantee you will not find a upscale development in Florida without them.

BHIGH36 08-25-2007 06:59 PM

My wife and I visited The Villages for a week at the beginning of this month and really liked it. The agent we were with passed over the question of deed restrictions / covenants rather quickly - even when we pressed a little. We're not opposed to them but would like more info. Any suggestions as to how get more info?

Thanks all & hope to join you soon

Avista 08-25-2007 07:09 PM

Have you decided which village you are interested? That may be the problem. Each village has its own deed restrictions. The villages south of 466 are stricter than the villages north of 466. Villas have different restrictions than other homes. Once you decide on a village, hopefully your rep will be more coopertive. They MUST let you read these. I wonder if they are on the internet.

Avista 08-25-2007 07:17 PM

BHIGH36, Here you go:
http://www.districtgov.org/slcdd/deedrestrict.asp

This link does not work by clicking. You will probably have to copy/paste

Scroll down. It is a summary and note they refer you to your specific neighborhood. Also note, it is Sumter County.