Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Lake Sumter Web cam is back (and then down again). (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/lake-sumter-web-cam-back-then-down-again-9467/)

Russ_Boston 08-28-2007 08:41 AM

Lake Sumter Web cam is back (and then down again).

Just an FYI that the Lake Sumter web cam is back in operation.
http://www.thevillages.com/lifestyle/cam_lsl.asp

larrydube 08-28-2007 09:22 AM

Re: Lake Sumter Web cam is back

Finally, It has been down for 5-6 weeks. The only way I can get my villages daily fix is to look at these cams. I have been emailing them every week asking about the "technical difficulty".

jjdees 08-28-2007 09:30 AM

I just tried it and got the following message. Any idea why?

"The ActiveX Camera Control, which enables you to view live image streams in Microsoft Internet Explorer, could not be registered on your computer".

rsetterlund 08-28-2007 09:40 AM

Are there other web cams? What are the URLs?

Russ_Boston 08-28-2007 10:34 AM

You must have Active X blocked. Go to tools/options and turn on Active X if you wish.

golfnut 08-28-2007 10:47 AM

Thanks for the info, I was wondering if we were ever going to get it back.

F16 1UB 08-28-2007 12:11 PM

bout time

larrydube 08-28-2007 01:48 PM

It may not be that your activex controls are blocked. If you haven't used this new camera before you actually have to download new software. This new software takes pictures much faster and gives the viewer less of the jerky motion than the old software.

When you get that message see if your popup blocker is highlighted at the top of your screen. If it is click on that area and it will ask you if you want to download the activx control. Say yes and it will automatically download. Once the download is complete you should be able to view the picture. If you didn't know, they also have a camera in Spanish Springs. It is located on top of the building that used to house the Italian restaurant.

When we were down last time we had a conversation with our kids while they were on the net. They could see us moving and watch the goings on also.

jjdees 08-28-2007 02:56 PM

Enabling ActiveX didn't help. I disabled it and tried your suggestion Larry and it downloaded the ActiveX program. It's now working. Should I be concerned about having ActiveX loaded? There were several internet warnings popping up while I went through the process.

larrydube 08-28-2007 03:02 PM

Hey Russ,

Not really. This is a software program that they now use so you get the smoother flow. Watch the cam in Sumter around 5PM when people are there for the 2 for 1 oops I mean for the nightly entertainment. They move in a much smoother manner. You have ActiveX controls already running. When you used this to respond to me some of the characters are moving and the <-M button is moving. The reason they are doing this is because ActiveX controls are built into this webpage.

On another note are you from the Boston area?

larrydube 08-28-2007 03:04 PM

Hey jjdees... sorry about calling you russ. I read the wrong name... Glad to be of help.

Russ_Boston 08-28-2007 03:24 PM

I live in Norton MA. I hope to be down in TV before TOO long but it will still be a couple of years at best.

I think you are right about not being Active X. My bad but i'm glad it's working for everyone now.

I had no issues so i wasn't sure.

darbyduff 08-28-2007 07:39 PM

THAT IS SOOOOO NOT FAIR!!! :(

I just went on the sight to look at the camera footage and everyone is partying without me!! >:(

Barefoot 08-28-2007 11:10 PM

I got the same message that ActivX Camera Control couldn't be registered on my computer ... I'm glad someone else had the same problem and asked for help! I followed the instructions (thank you, thank you) and down loaded ActivX Control .... but there is no sound!! Is there supposed to be sound? I thought there would be music and laughter and rocking on!!

Oh, I just noticed, it is after midnight, could that be why? Or do I have do something to turn on sound?

Thanks all you computer wizards.

Russ_Boston 08-29-2007 07:22 AM

I don't think there is any sound with those webcams.