Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   SNAKES AND BUGS..... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/snakes-bugs-9555/)

ditzyfitzy 09-03-2007 07:18 AM

SNAKES AND BUGS.....

Hi-
Hate to be a big baby----but, I'm coming down there to rent for two months in November/Dec. Someone told me that I am going to HATE it there--because there are all kinds of snakes and that large bugs get in the homes. Do snakes and large bugs get in the homes? (I can't have Sweetie Pie being eaten by a snake!)
Thanks,
Lynn & Sweetie Pie

REDCART 09-03-2007 07:33 AM

Re: SNAKES AND BUGS.....

DF, We've owned since Dec '05, and except for a bout of millipedes which they say were migrating through TV in the fall last year, bugs haven't been as annoying as you'd expect in a sub-tropical environment. The millipedes were everywhere and did get to my wife but it didn't last long. My folks lived in Ft. Lauderdale for thirty years and we saw more bugs there than in TV. We haven't been snake hunting but we've yet to see one and we've done the usual weeding. Geckos and frogs, occasionally.

RayB 09-03-2007 10:26 AM

I have lived in Florida for twenty five years and have never been bothered by snakes and bugs. Yes, we do have snakes and bugs but I don't believe they are any worse than other areas in the Southeast. Guess I am used to it. I will say it is imperative to have a pest control service for your home. That does the trick both inside and around the outside. Snakes are around but most are harmless - but you never know. If you do not bother them, they do not bother you. If you enjoy a walk in nature at one of our beautiful state parks then yes you will see our natural habitat in large quantities. I volunteer at the Silver River State Park Museum and Environmental Center and it is possible to see bears, deer, snakes, gopher tortuses , Florida cougars, wild boar, raccoons, armadillos, wild turkeys, alligators, etc. etc. That State Park is just twenty miles north of The Villages. Lake Griffith State Park is just one mile south of TV - north of Leesburg on Hwy 27.

JohnZ 09-03-2007 10:49 AM

Ditzy....you are worrying....waaaay to much. The Villages is not located in a remote tropical rain forrest in Costa Rica....although that'd be pretty cool. We're in CENTRAL FLORIDA. Snakes and bugs getting in the houses are NOT a problem. Snakes and bugs outside the house are NOT a problem. Except for the traffic and topograhy, living in Atlanta is not that much different. Feel better?

ditzyfitzy 09-03-2007 11:08 AM

Thanks, John Z............It makes me feel a LITTLE better--except I'm in OHIO--not Atlanta!
Okay--no snakes in the house, right?
Lynn

JohnZ 09-03-2007 11:12 AM

Right. It's just like living in OH except for the winter weather.

Taltarzac 09-03-2007 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Right. It's just like living in OH except for the winter weather.

Another thing the Villages have in common with Ohio. --there are a lot of Ohio State University football and basketball as well as other sport fans of the Buckeyes here in the Villages. I sometimes think there are more Buckeye fans here than Gator (U of FL) fans.

Go, Gophers. Still feel silly saying that even though I graduated from the U of MN in 1989.

Minnesota sure had bigger mosquitoes than around here.

Avista 09-03-2007 06:25 PM

I used to live in Ohio and we found a snake in our house a couple of times. Never has happened in Florida (lived here 25 years) however.

ditzyfitzy 09-03-2007 06:30 PM

Amazing and good to know!
;D
Lynn

garsha 09-03-2007 07:22 PM

Don't live in TV yet, but bought a house. I live in central CA in the country now, just waiting to sell our house. Everyone I talk to talks like an authority about the SIZE and number of bugs in FL and of course they are sure you will be eaten by an alligator or one of the thousands of huge snakes. And if the bugs, alligators, or snakes don't get you the horrible weather will. I visited TV 7 times last year. I am convinced the people that are talking to me went somewhere else in FL, not TV. I believe it really helps to have a town, mostly over 55 that care about the community and spray. My brother was convinced that the sprayers are hooked to the back of the mowers when he saw there were very few bugs. I have been there during the spring and fall when the "love bugs" visit for 2 or so weeks. They don't bite just mess up the car. I don't think the bugs will bother you.

ditzyfitzy 09-03-2007 07:44 PM

Thanks for all of the good info---
Good to know that there aren't many bugs, snakes, etc....but, wonder how toxic the air might be from all of the spraying!
Does anyone know if they have a "natural" lawn treatment and spraying options and do they work?
My little Yorkie has been living with cancer for three years now--I've never had to have my lawn treated; thank goodness--living in Ohio it makes no difference. They also don't spray for bugs....

I would NEVER do anything to purposefully put a dog in possible risk of getting cancer again...it has been a huge ordeal....

Lynn

Barefoot 09-03-2007 10:05 PM

DF: I also worry about toxic sprays because I have two dogs and we back on a golf course. BUt I am assured that TV is ecologically friendly, and that the sprays aren't toxic. Nevertheless, I plan to keep my dogs far away from any sprayed area for at least 24 hours.

The Great Fumar 09-03-2007 10:56 PM

DF
YOUR WORRIES ARE GROUNDLESS...TRUST ME WHEN I TELL YOU THAT THEIR ARE A LOT MORE DOGS DOWN HERE THAN SNAKES AND BUGS..

Taltarzac 09-04-2007 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the great fumar
DF
YOUR WORRIES ARE GROUNDLESS...TRUST ME WHEN I TELL YOU THAT THEIR ARE A LOT MORE DOGS DOWN HERE THAN SNAKES AND BUGS..

The Villages' dogs though are usually on leashes, in gold carts, or at the dog parks. Sometimes they are off leash.

The love bugs ARE a problem in Florida but they do not bite just make a real mess out of vehicles two times a year. They must keep the snakes, brids and lizards quite occupied while they are here.