Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   TOXIC AIR QUALITY??? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/toxic-air-quality-9567/)

ditzyfitzy 09-03-2007 07:48 PM

TOXIC AIR QUALITY???

Hi-
Sorry to be a nervous nelly---but, earlier today I posted about someone telling me that there were tons of bugs and snakes in The Villages and that they came in the houses. People have been nice enough to assure me that they do plenty of spraying around there....so that this isn't the case.

Now my question is----is all of the spraying that they do non-toxic? I have a little five pound Yorkie that has been living with cancer for the last three years---I would hate to ever put another pet in a circumstance where they would be breathing in toxic bug spray indoors OR outdoors.

Do they have service that uses non-toxic products--and do they work?
Thanks,
Lynn & Sweetie Pie

Hancle704 09-04-2007 09:29 PM

Re: TOXIC AIR QUALITY???

There is lots of spraying everywhere in Florida. The homeowner handles their own home and property. Most home services will tell you to let your dog out before they spray lawn. our service tells us to wait an hour after until the spray on and the lawn dries. I think there might be a danger if pet gets this stuff on their paws. Since you get to pick your home insect control service, you may want to discuss this up front with them.

Another issue is mosquito control handled by the various counties in which TV lies. Without this service we would see mosquito's become an intolerable nuisance and possibly a real danger to man and beast. There have been outbreaks of Equine Encephalitis in Central FL and when we have the rain and weather conditions the mosquito's have to be controlled. This is done by trucks traveling through residential areas and spraying at night and occasional spraying by aircraft in the mosquito breeding areas.

Hancle704 09-04-2007 09:51 PM

Re: TOXIC AIR QUALITY???

Another issue about toxic air quality has to do with open burning. Unless there is a ban on open burning because of fire danger, it is permitted in FL. There have been many times when the smoke from open burning as trees and brush is cut and burned with smoke lingering over parts of TV for hours. Several years ago the extensive forest fires in So. Georgia and No. Florida created awful smoke conditions in TV and all of central FL for weeks.

While the American Lung Association has spoken out about second hand smoke from tobacco and laws have been enacted that prohibit smoking in many public places, they refuse to take a position against open burning. I know many folks who suffer from COPD who wont go outdoors when the smoke from open burning hits TV.