Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Water Treatment Plant - Sewer Plant? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/water-treatment-plant-sewer-plant-9580/)

ewstanley 09-04-2007 07:04 PM

Water Treatment Plant - Sewer Plant?

Hi,
We are planning on moving to TV in a year or two. We have our house on the market but things are slow here in Michigan.
I was reading some posts about purchasing houses and have a couple of questions.
I would like to avoid an area busy road and would like to avoid a sewer or water treatment plant.
What part of TV is near the water treatment plant and what are the problems associated with living near the plant.
Is there an odor?
I have never lived near a water treatment plant so I am not certain what to expect.
Thanks,
Art & Liz

:)

PJ 09-04-2007 09:01 PM

Re: Water Treatment Plant - Sewer Plant?

I've lived here in TV near Spanish Springs for about a year and a half, have been all around TV, and haven't smelled any sewage treatment odors ever. There are several water towers, but I don't know where the treatment is done. Maybe there's someone who can enlighten us on this.

I doubt you'll have a problem with smelling it.

Good luck with your move!

chuckinca 09-04-2007 11:11 PM

Looks to be a sewage plant off of El Camino near the RV storage yard.

JohnZ 09-05-2007 08:25 AM

There are several treatment plants on the north side (n. of CR466). They are very well hidden by trees, landscapping and altered topography....but the clarifiers of one is visible from The Glenview golf course. The plant's employs primary and secondary clarifiers that are enclosed so odor is not an issue. I don't think TV builds homes close to these plants anyway but close is a relative term of course. I believe CH2M Hill is the environmental engineering firm that the TV uses to support waste water treatment infrastructure. And Farner and Barley is the civil engineering firm used by TV for other CE design work. They can tell you exactly where the existing plants are located and or where future plants will be located.

JohnZ 09-05-2007 11:10 AM

An addendum to my previous post.....my spiffy spouse played golf a while back at a course south of CR466 and she does recall a strong malordorous scent wafting in the air which she attributes to a wastewater treatment facility. It was either that or someones been feeding the buffalo hard boiled eggs and beer.

golfnut 09-05-2007 12:29 PM

Yes, there is a treatment facility south of 466, actually it is quite a ways south, I just don't remember where, I do remember that it was not that well hidden from the eye or the nose.

villages07 09-05-2007 01:17 PM

There is one on 2-3 hole of Bacall Golf Course...in Largo neighborhood -- it can get pungent when the wind blows the right way

; There is also a new one on Morse far south towards Havana Golf course....not too close to any homes (yet) but still more construction to go down there.

ewstanley 09-05-2007 05:00 PM

Thanks to all for your input!!!! :bigthumbsup:

villager99 09-05-2007 05:14 PM

the treatment plant on el camino across from santo domingo was an odor problem a few years ago but i think they redid pipes etc and it's now odor free at least from the golf cart trail.i think when you pick out your home or lot it's wise to gather all available info re current and planned future shopping areas regarding traffic.
i know folks who are very surprised and displeased by the southern trace and walmart traffic going past their homes. it was a quiet street 5 years ago. when they bought.

golfnut 09-05-2007 08:04 PM

What street are you referring to v99?

JohnZ 09-05-2007 08:55 PM

I'm with golfnut on this. What street?

golfnut 09-12-2007 07:02 AM

villager99, what street were you referring to?

starflyte1 08-27-2008 06:36 PM

V99 mentioned that the treatment plant at El Camino across from Santa Domingo had been "reworked" so that odor was no longer a problem. Does anyone have an update on this?

Would you buy in that area?

Thanks,
Pat

jadebox 08-27-2008 06:44 PM

I have posted this before but will answer agin so bare with me. I live in Alhambra right next to the plant but my house is up t the end near Savanna Center. We have never detected any odors. At least, not in the 2 years we have lived here.

jeffy 08-27-2008 11:03 PM

I believe some peoples sense of smell must be better than others. I can tell you that at least 50% of the time that the wife and I pass the sewage plant on El Camino near Alahambra and the one on Buena Vista near Liberty Park / Bacall holes 2-3 we look at each other and go euhhhhhh. This is either in golf cart or car with windows down.

We have never noticed the smell at any other parts of the villages.

jeffy