Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Your opinion..Do we need our own Villages Post Office (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/your-opinion-do-we-need-our-own-villages-post-office-9675/)

Hancle704 09-12-2007 06:41 PM

Your opinion..Do we need our own Villages Post Office

Today's Daily Sun reports that the Sumter County Commissioners are speaking out and communicating this idea to our Senators and Congressmen that TV needs it's very own Post Office and one would assume, our own ZIP Code. What do you folks think?

I'm in favor, but more than a post office, I'd like to see mail delivery to a box at the end of my driveway. Would take a few mail trucks to make deliveries, but think about the reduction in vehicular traffic, overall energy conservation and reduction in emissions if Villagers would not drive as many cars, golf carts etc. 6 days a week to pick up the mail.

We pay the same postage rates as do the folks along CR 466 who have their mail delivered to their mailboxes at end of their driveways why should we not have the same service from USPS? :dontknow:

blueeagle65 09-12-2007 06:57 PM

Re: Your opinion..Do we need our own Villages Post Office

The Lady Lake Post Office doesn't appear to be able to serve TV as it should. I have had a letter postmarked from Jacksonville, FL not appear in my box here till 9 days later! I also receive expired notices from department stores and others on a regular basis. If I have something of importance I take it to the P.O. at Oxford for expedited (normal) handling. I am in favor of anything that'll improve our postal service.

golfnut 09-12-2007 07:58 PM

I think the post office is going away, I get most statements and pay bills electronically, don't have a lot of use for post office and see it dimishing in the future.

cleanwater 09-12-2007 08:33 PM

Nice to have stuff. I'd like to see home deliveries reduced to 3x per week instead of 6x per week and taxes reduced proportionately. Asking for more services means more costs somewhere. No thanks. Post office service is second rate here but it's going the way of horses anyway. I'd like to see more internet competition and lower prices.

bamafan 09-12-2007 09:00 PM

I agree the Post Office is dying. I am still using 37 cent stamps adding 2 cent stamps to add up to 41 cents. Most everything is going to e-mail. I refuse to get my statements and bills electronically. What if my computer is down for a while. At the very least when I get a paper bill I can go back in time and write a real check and still mail it. Provided there is still a PO

Talk Host 09-12-2007 09:14 PM

Because of some of our business enterprises, I am frequently send overnight express packages. The postal carriers will not bring them to my house. They put a notice in my box and I have to drive to Lady Lake the next day to get the packages. At least if there was an office in the Villaes, I could go there.

golfnut 09-12-2007 09:17 PM

talkhost, we are you, thought you were traveling???

zcaveman 09-12-2007 09:56 PM

I am a Blockbuster DVD rental person. If I put a DVD in the mail on Monday morning, I get a notice on Tuesday morning that they received the DVD in Daytona. On Wednesday I have my next DVD. I cannot beat that turnaround with a stick. I use more stamps at Christmas than I use the entire year. I pay all my bills via the internet or via electronic funds transfer. I hand my check to the lawn mower guy. If I have a special need I go up to the PO in Summerfield off of 301.

I have an electric cart to go to the Mail stop. I could walk since it is close but the back says no.

They made it so easy to get your mail I don't see the problem.

villager99 09-12-2007 11:39 PM

i admit i'm confused. until recently anything needing recipient signature was available for pickup at the villages post office on the historic side. which was golf cart accessible. i haven't checked to see if the facility is completely closed but ...
it's only siince spring of this year that items are being held at the lady lake post office outside tv property.
i've been fortunate to be home for the few such items the carrier has brought to my house this year but if i wasn't i assume i could call lady lake and request redelivery.

Villages Kahuna 09-13-2007 12:04 AM

Absolutely...But It's A Political Thing

It makes no sense that Lady Lake has two USPS offices with a population of less than 12,000 people while TV has none with more than six times as many residents and growing.

I'd sure like to see one--one of their "larger" models (with about 5-6 counter positions and maybe 2 self-serve mailing stations). A location on 466 near Southern Trace would be centrally located for TV. Or maybe on some of the vacant land near the Sumter County Annex at 466 and Morse. The only problem with that location might be too much additional traffic.

Avista 09-13-2007 06:07 AM

I think our mail service is quite good. For one thing our mail is much safer in the Mail Bank by the pool, than if delivered to our home. Before we moved here our mail was delivered right to our home. When we were gone for a day or 2, I worried about it being out there. For longer periods, we stopped our mail, but that got to be a pain too.

We live near 466A and have 2 postoffices not too far from our house. One is in Oxford and to get to the other,I go south and turn left on 466A and drive right by it. That being said, we have been here since Feb and have never gone into the post office. I get my stamps at the mail bank. I have a little postal scale at home for my small packages and haven't mailed anything large lately.

I do get a little irritated when I am buying something to be mailed and the person asks my address. I say "The Villages" and they answer, "Do you mean Lady Lake"? I always say ,"NO, I MEAN THE VILLAGES!" That is just an irritant.

Our mail delivery has been good. As mentioned above, I have a movie delivery service (Netflix). They too get the movie I send back in a day or 2--depending what time of day I mail it. I have a new movie very quickly.

Talk Host 09-13-2007 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfnut
talkhost, we are you, thought you were traveling???

I am. Currently sitting in the Hotel Don Fernado De Taos in Taos, NM. Leaving in a few minutes for Sedona, Arizona. I too am a TOTV junkie and have to keep up with what's going on 'round here. Using my laptop and Sloooooowwwwww dial up connection. Man AOL bites.
;D
JLK

LG 09-13-2007 06:53 AM

Re: Absolutely...But It's A Political Thing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna
It makes no sense that Lady Lake has two USPS offices with a population of less than 12,000 people while TV has none with more than six times as many residents and growing.

I'd sure like to see one--one of their "larger" models (with about 5-6 counter positions and maybe 2 self-serve mailing stations). A location on 466 near Southern Trace would be centrally located for TV. Or maybe on some of the vacant land near the Sumter County Annex at 466 and Morse. The only problem with that location might be too much additional traffic.

Actually there is one about a block north of 466 on CR301 on the left.. New and Very Nice.. Has all the things you just wished for

mrskkb 09-13-2007 02:46 PM

The one on 301 is old.

Has been there for a long time.

I had gone to the beautiful new one in Lady Lake off of CR25 once

Excellent service.

Lady who took care of my transaction mentioned that the USPS

is thinking about building a new on 466.

That was about 5 months ago.

Cliff 09-13-2007 03:27 PM

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with those people who say that mail service in the Villages is very good. My opinion is that it is very bad. So far (6 years) I have had three envelopes with very large payments (my checks) to local businesses that have been lost in the mail and required a stop payment on the checks. I also frequently get mail which was deposited in the postal service up to two weeks before I received them. No excuse for that. I agree with another poster who said that they get flyers for sales which had expired up to a week before they received the flyer. If you wait on payments, immediately investigate direct deposit. It is the only way to be assured that you get your money on time.