Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   the Ex-Lopey Legacy (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/ex-lopey-legacy-9710/)

gingersmom 09-15-2007 07:43 PM

the Ex-Lopey Legacy

I heard today that Nancy Lopez has taken her name off the golf course and resturant and even sold her house here. Seems for the last 2 years, Lopez has been complaining about the poor shape of the course and other maintenance items. Too bade, guess the PTB will have to change the commercials with her in it now.

rballruss 09-15-2007 08:49 PM

Re: the Ex-Lopey Legacy

Wow!!!! That's a new one! Or is this a rumor? She doesn't own her home here. It is owned by TV! This I happen to know for a fact. But, hadn't heard about the course.

jjdees 09-16-2007 09:12 AM

Russ, She doesn't own the home? The CD and the commercials sure would lead you to believe she did. Slick marketing. I played Lopez a while back and was surprised at the condition. We have a worse drought in Georgia and it's been with us for years but the courses look a lot better.

Frangyomory 09-16-2007 05:05 PM

Nancy Lopez has been coming here for years and always stays in the home they say is "her home in the Villages". She has an AIM tournament here each year and she and her husband both stay before, through and after the tournament.

I have heard nothing about a change in the name etc. and my husband played at Lopez today.

For a fact, none of the restaurants in the "country clubs" are owned by the Villages anymore. They are all privately owned having been sold by the developer over the years. A guy from Maryland bought Tierra del Sol a year or so ago. Orange Blossom is also owned by a former manager of a Village run place.

I will believe Nancy has requested her name be removed from the course when I see it in print. Her name was bought and paid for just as Arnold Palmers was and he never owned a home here. These folks sell their names for a lot of money and as far as I know, Palmer came back only last year for the Shoot your Age tournament along with GaryPlayer.

Guys, it's all about the money!!! Get real!!! :edit:

chuckinca 09-16-2007 05:15 PM

Belated Happy Birthday to Franny (still a cutie from 13 to 39 +/-)

Frangyomory 09-16-2007 05:17 PM

Thanks Chuckinca! Didn't realize that I had posted a caption. Actually that photo was taken in July on my 64th birthday....only a mere 51 years since the other photo had been taken!!!!! :redface:

jjdees 09-16-2007 05:24 PM

Fran, I believe I have a picture of a relative or friend that looks just like your childhood picture. Happy Birthday! As far as Nancy Lopez is concerned, after my earlier post, it occurred to me that I hadn't seen a Villages commercial for some time, and I thought it's probably because they're not getting much return on the advertising bucks. Most new buyers have a house to sell first, so no sale on the current, home, no new home in TV. Anyhow, today, I'm watching Tiger clean up the course and lo and behold a new Villages commercial with Nancy and Arnie starring in it, just like old times.

eujaynia 09-16-2007 05:32 PM

We saw TV commercial, too, jj ... we see them all the time. Go Tiger! ;D

JohnZ 09-16-2007 06:32 PM

Exactly where did you here than Nancy Lopez is taking her name off of the course and restaurant?

gingersmom 09-16-2007 07:35 PM

Hi guys, I heard it from a guy who'se frfiends lives next door to the home shared by Nancy and Ray. But wsho knows, probably just a rumour.

The Great Fumar 09-17-2007 12:03 AM

ITS JUST A RUMOR , NANCY'S NAME AND THAT OF HER KIDS HAS ALL BEEN BOUGHT AND PAID FOR AS IS THE NAME ON THE RESTUARANT, SHE HAS NO SAY IN THE CONDITION OF THE COURSE......SHE HAS A TOURNAMENT AGREEMENT AND SHE ALSO HOLDS SEMINARS HERE...PLUS SHE JUST HAPPENS TO BE ONE OF THE NEATEST PERSONS YOU'LL EVER WANT TO MEET ....WHEN THEY ARE HERE RAY KNIGHT GIVE BATTING LESSONS AND PLAYS BALL WITH THE GUYS ...THEY MAY BE CELEBS BUT THERE NICE PEOPLE.......

rballruss 09-17-2007 07:48 AM

Well said, Fumar! I've taken her 3-day golf clinic and have nothing but the highest regard for her. (Even though she laughed at me when I said I was going to play on the Senior Pro Tour in 5 years.) HA!

Russ_Boston 09-17-2007 12:47 PM

One of my fears about moving to TV would be meeting Nancy and Ray. I'm sure that they are great people but I'm a Red Sox fan and i still remember 1986 like it was yesterday. Any you know who scored the winning run in that (in)famous 6th game - yep Ray Knight!

SteveFromNY 09-17-2007 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ_Boston
One of my fears about moving to TV would be meeting Nancy and Ray. I'm sure that they are great people but I'm a Red Sox fan and i still remember 1986 like it was yesterday. Any you know who scored the winning run in that (in)famous 6th game - yep Ray Knight!

I thought Bill Buckner scored that run..... ;D

Villages Kahuna 09-17-2007 04:28 PM

Hard To Understand That Course Condition Is Different From...

...any and all of the other Villages golf courses. Greens keeping and maintenance is done by the same contract firm on all the courses. If Lopez Legacy isn't up to par, what about all the rest? I sure haven't heard any complaints.

I can say this with absolute certainty...my neighbor is the Director of Golf at Lopez Legacy and if long hours and lots of effort are any measure, I'd find it hard to believe that Lopez Legacy is coming up short. I've never seen anyone work any harder or exhibit more concern.

By the way, Nancy Lopez's golf schools always sell out early and get rave reviews for the personal attention she gives the students. If she's somehow gotten upset about something here in TV, it sure didn't reflect in her attitude and interest exhibited in her school this spring.