Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Villagers: paying unfair refuse collection charges is mandatory. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/villagers-paying-unfair-refuse-collection-charges-mandatory-9713/)

Frank2 09-16-2007 08:05 AM

Villagers: paying unfair refuse collection charges is mandatory.

Does anyone know why the VCCDD-LSSA require Village homeowners to pay for trash collection when the owners are away from the Villages for extended periods?

It seems to me that one should have the option to suspend collection services while away on vacation or showbirding thereby eliminating that monthly charge.

The argument that they need everyone paying to help keep the cost down just doesn't hold water anymore with the large number of homes now.

Let's hear it folks. To pay or not to pay. :dontknow:

noleguy 09-16-2007 10:35 AM

Re: Villagers: paying unfair refuse collection charges is mandatory.

No matter where I have lived in the past, I have always had to pay the monthly trash collection fee whether I was there or not.

chuckster 09-16-2007 10:39 AM

Same here........had to pay whether home or not. Only newspapers and cable TV could be suspended for a set period of time. Never heard of suspending utilities.........

Frank2 09-16-2007 10:52 AM

At another location where I have a home,,,trash collection may be suspended for as little as a week at a time, or longer if requested...AND....the billing is adjusted to reflect only those collections that were made. :bigthumbsup: Billing is on a monthly basis.

Again, the question is: why is this not possible in the Villages? :dontknow:

Frangyomory 09-16-2007 11:06 AM

30+ years in Virginia and we paid for trash removal regardless of whether we had any or not and regardless of whether we were home or not. Just another fact of life.

Indy-Guy 09-16-2007 11:26 AM

Perhaps the trash truck drivers don't have time to look and see if people are putting out trash that haven't paid. I know that no one in The Villages would put trash out and not pay! Maybe the trash truck driver and the guys on the back of the truck need to keep it as simple as possible as they are probably working their way through college.

Frangyomory 09-16-2007 05:00 PM

No one gets away without paying. The bill comes monthly with water bill so you are paying it every month regardless of where you happen to be that month. :dontknow:

The Great Fumar 09-17-2007 12:09 AM

DON'T KNOCK IT, THESE GUYS PICK UP EVERYTHING ENCLUDING OLD TV'S.....NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE DOING THAT.....

Frank2 09-17-2007 05:48 AM

Oshunluva,

I think your response hit the nail on the head. Thank you.

bamafan 09-17-2007 07:13 AM

Closed on my home on August 30th Will not be down with first load of furniture till end of September. On August 31st I called all utilities to make sure billing and everything was correct. North Sumter Utilities said I would get a water, sewer, and trash bill. Water & Sewer I understand cause the sprinklers are running, but I should not have to activate trash pickup till end of Sept. North Sumter did not tell me cost of trash pick up just that my average bill would be around $65 if I was careful FEED THE BEAST

villager99 09-17-2007 10:28 AM

when i was a snowbirder i found the phone, cable etc companies in florida had well established and convenient vacation suspension of services systems. but it would be a logistical nightmare to ask trash collectors to skip houses listed on some ever changing vacation listing.

jjdees 09-17-2007 10:43 AM

I don't have a comment pro or con, but why the talk of the collectors having difficulty? This is about billing, the collectors don't have anything to do with it.

villager99 09-17-2007 11:10 AM

interesting, i hadn't even considered asking a private sumter county company to suspend billing for trash collection on an honor system. that said residence was unoccupied and no trash would be put out for x months.

Frank2 09-17-2007 04:05 PM

This process does not require any input or additional work on the part of the collectors.

The scenario is as follows: a call to the VCCDD-LSSA office indicating I will not be in the Villages for the month of July. End of story.

Obviously there won't be any refuse to pickup and billing suspended for the month of July. ;D

How hard is that?

Villages Kahuna 09-17-2007 04:38 PM

No Different From Any Other Place I've Lived

In fact, I have to pay for both garbage collection and a base water/waste treatment charge for our home in Michigan even though we only occupy it for two months each year.

If one was responsible for contracting for services like garbage collection, water, sewage treatment, etc., someone explain to me how the fees to homeowners could be calculated if some people opted out for the times they weren't in residence? Would you instruct the garbage guys not to pick up when residents requested it? What about shutting off the water and sewage treatment? That too?

Sounds to me like you're proposing an impossible request, from almost anyone's perspective.