Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Palm Trees ? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/palm-trees-9738/)

dadspet 09-18-2007 01:07 PM

Palm Trees ?

???Can anyone tell me about how much it cost to plant a plam tree? Any recommendations on type of palm tree to plant?

The Great Fumar 09-18-2007 03:25 PM

Re: Palm Trees ?

I was told only Queen Palms can take the weather here....you can find them on sale often for 499.00 for three of them....(12 to 14 ft) and they will plant them.............What ever you do , don't try to plant them yourself as they weight a ton even though they don't look it.....take it from a guy who learned his lesson in spades...........

Frangyomory 09-18-2007 05:38 PM

Based on who you use they can run as low as $275 up to $1,000. You need to get cost estimates from a few places because there are a few who think we all live the millionaire lifestyle for real!!!

golfnut 09-18-2007 07:55 PM

I bought a queen palm from Home Depot 1 1/2 years ago for $40, it was 3 feet tall when I got it, now it's 9 feet tall after 2 summers. If you're not in a hurry for a large tree this is an alternative.

bamafan 09-18-2007 08:56 PM

Golfnut, Queenies do grow fast. We did not get any with our landscaping package and dearly want some. We were thinking of buying small as we had read that they are fast growers. Glad to hear it. We found some that were about 5 to 6 feet at Lowes for around $100. What kind of care if any do you have to give them?

zcaveman 09-18-2007 08:57 PM

Washingtonions thrive as well as well as the European Fan Palm. I paid $110 each for 2 5" Washingtonian and $95 for a 3" Fan palm back in 2001. The Washingtonians are now 8' tall and the fan palm is 6' tall and 6' in circumference. Beautiful filler palm.

Visit several tree farms and get an idea of what they have and what grows well. Stay away from the roebelenii (sic) as they hate cold weather. Also check the various neighborhoods and see what their landscaping looks like. A trip around the internet does not hurt either.

The Palm People - http://www.botanics.com/default.htm

Palm tree Care: http://www.palm-tree.net/

dwebb 09-19-2007 07:12 AM

::)I might be the only one that thinks a palm tree isn't a good tree to plant!

We had five at our previous Florida home and while I like the looks, they are a big pain in the rear when they get tall enough to need a ladder to trim them. The seed pods alone could kill you when their cut off. And if you don't cut down the pods the seeds make a big mess on the ground.

Take a closer look and see if you think your able to do the trimming or pay to have it done. The do grow fast!

Frangyomory 09-19-2007 11:08 AM

also, palm trees seem to breed PALMATO bugs so if you plant, do not plan close to your home.

zcaveman 09-19-2007 12:09 PM

Palmetto bugs have nothing to do with palm trees. They like moist, damp areas (like under your shrubs and in your mulch). I lived in Florida many years and never had palm trees. Just throw off a tarp or lift up some old logs and watch them scurry. Fortunately in the Villages, we don't cover things with tarp and build up logsand lumber. I can't wait until I clean out the plants around my lamp post. Probably a host of them. I will just put on my stomping shoes and start cleaning. My wife will use the Raid spray. Slow death.

Barefoot 09-19-2007 10:11 PM

DWebb .. good info about trimming palm trees; never occured to me. We newbies have such a lot to learn!! :o

dadspet 09-20-2007 12:39 PM

[quote][We had five at our previous Florida home and while I like the looks, they are a big pain in the rear when they get tall enough to need a ladder to trim them. The seed pods alone could kill you when their cut off. And if you don't cut down the pods the seeds make a big mess on the ground.
/quote]

Interesting! Didn't think they took maintenance. Last thing I want as a snowbird is more maintenance. Are there any varieties that don't require maintenance / trimming and seed pods that fall?

villager99 09-20-2007 12:57 PM

are stories about snakes loving palm trees as in correct as the connection with palmetto bugs?
i love seeing palms in my neighbors yards but wouldn't want the chore of having my own.

samhass 09-20-2007 03:37 PM

I love the palms. Heck, I take as much maintenance as they do.....and we're worth it!

zcaveman 09-20-2007 10:12 PM

If you start with small ones (4-6 feet) and let them grow it will be a while before you need a ladder. If you buy the 15-20 footers like some people, you need a ladder to start. Also with the 15-20 footers, If they are not anchored or braced properly a good wind will knock them over.

gfmucci 02-15-2008 01:17 AM

Palmetto bugs (roaches) and Palm Trees

I lived in South Florida for 40 years (Ft. Lauderdale), and the Coconut Palms there definitely harbored roaches - could be why these bugs are also known a Palmetto bugs). However, I've lived in the Florida Panhandle for 8 years and have had Palmetto Palms (the State tree) and have not noticed a single roach, only a few birds nests. We've had lots of lizards (Geckos) around our yard, which I love because they eat other bugs - perhaps that's why we've had no roaches.

The Palmetto Palms required pruning an average of twice a year to keep them looking well maintained. During the period when they were 8 to 10 feet tall, I could prune them without a ladder with long handled loppers. For the last three years, though, I had to use a ladder, and last fall, just before we sold our house, I paid someone to prune the five of them for $75. I thought that was well worth it. They were about 15' to 20' tall at that point.

I imagine in central Florida, Queen Palms grow even faster.