Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   tornado question (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/tornado-question-9770/)

frankr 09-22-2007 06:08 AM

tornado question

Has the apparent increase in tornado's and the hurricane threat had any affect on the insurance rates down there. Also where there are no basements are there any places to escape to, such as the rec centers
if you have advance warning.

Thanks

Taltarzac 09-22-2007 07:35 AM

Re: tornado question

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankr
Has the apparent increase in tornado's and the hurricane threat had any affect on the insurance rates down there. Also where there are no basements are there any places to escape to, such as the rec centers
if you have advance warning.

Thanks

I do not know about the insurance question. The February 2, 2007 tornado hit one of the recreation centers in the Villages very hard. Would not want to be in one of these in a twister or hurricane or even a high straight line wind. There are several shelters in TV but you would need some time to get to them. Not enough time really to get to them in the case of a tornado. The authorities did not give enough warning to really practically move a lot of people to them a few days ago when a system hit the Villages nor on February 2, 2007. These shelters would work if and when a hurricane headed to the Villages unless you had a system that wobbled a great deal.

Avista 09-22-2007 08:34 AM

Our plan is to go into our walkin closet. This is located in our master bath (also without windows). When we had our tornado warning a couple of nights ago, we had our flashlights and battery radio (includes weather frequency) and a couple of places to sit ready to go.

Everyone has to think of where the safest place is in ones house. You want an inner room with no windows.

villages07 09-22-2007 08:51 AM

Avista...just make sure your MBR closet doesn't have an attic access door....I heard in the 2/2 tornado that some houses the access door (and clothes, etc) sucked right out of the closet into the attic/roof. In my Lantana model we do have an access door in the ceiling..so, MBR closet is out as a shelter. Only other room is the 2nd bath that is interior with no windows.

Barefoot 09-22-2007 12:20 PM

Good information! Never thought about interior closets as a solution. Is there a warning siren in TV?
We were told by "The Developer" that the February tornado was the only one in 40 years that affected Lady Lake. True or false?

Re insurance, we were told by our Insurance Company prior to purchase that stucco/block was safer than frame and less expensive to insure (also less likely to have termites). Don't know if that is true, but we bought a stucco Villa. I'm sure everything in the path of a tornado is devastated, regardless of construction.

villages07 09-22-2007 01:22 PM

barefoot...no sirens, hence the push for people to buy the weather alert radios; they do work; also, our resident TV meteorologists get on the radio and provide localized updates when there are threats.

I also heard the Feb tornado was the first to touch down in the Villages; we had another scare the other night but nothing touched down here.

Several block homes were destroyed in the 2/2 tornado...took a direct hit, but, overall they fared better than the frame houses.