Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Right turn on a red light in FL? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/right-turn-red-light-fl-9785/)

beady 09-23-2007 10:34 AM

Right turn on a red light in FL?

While in TV earlier in the month we noticed an inconsistancy in traffic turning right on a red light. Up here in the "live free or die" state of New Hampshire it is legal to turn right on a red light unless posted. What is the law in Florida?

Avista 09-23-2007 10:47 AM

Re: Right turn on a red light in FL?

Same here!

Hancle704 09-23-2007 11:43 AM

You may have observed that many drivers in Florida and especially TV, don't bother coming to a full stop at the red light before making the right turn. Same thing at STOP signs. Some folks don't believe these rules apply to Seniors and workmen driving pick ups. If you see a car with a directional signal blinking, it might mean nothing more than it was delivered from the dealer with the signal on. ;D

beady 09-23-2007 12:51 PM

Hmmmm! must be universal! Stop signs are decorations :cop: :cop:

Taltarzac 09-23-2007 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beady
While in TV earlier in the month we noticed an inconsistancy in traffic turning right on a red light. Up here in the "live free or die" state of New Hampshire it is legal to turn right on a red light unless posted. What is the law in Florida?

You have to follow certain procedures though-- http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/laws.html Check the FL's Driver Handbook. http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/handbooks/English/

rsetterlund 09-23-2007 04:10 PM

Beady,

Send me an email and let me know where in New Hampshire you are. We have a three season camp in Gilford, NH.

It would be great to get together and talk about TV. We are planning on moving down in 2 t0 3 years, so we are trying to learn all that we can.

Bob and Lois

DDoug 09-23-2007 05:16 PM

Traffic laws of the rest of the world do not apply in The Villages. Just watch how the folks drive golf cart or car watch out for the circles. God help you.

zcaveman 09-23-2007 09:06 PM

You make it seem like TV is a lawless area when it comes to driving. Personally, I think the lawbreakers are in the minority. As long as you drive defensively, you are safe. And that is any where.

Taltarzac 09-23-2007 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcaveman
You make it seem like TV is a lawless area when it comes to driving. Personally, I think the lawbreakers are in the minority. As long as you drive defensively, you are safe. And that is any where.

Agree about the Villages and driving. You certainly have to look out for tourists who tend to get lost in TV as well as some workers who seem to have their own set of rules as far as traffic is concerned. People follow the laws of the road probably better in TV than in some cities. The golf carters can be another story as well as cars on golf cart paths. Still have not figured out why I see a road vehicle on a golf cart path but have seen a number of these.

MMC24 09-24-2007 08:10 AM

Oh, I was under the impression that the STOP sign is an abbreviation for Squeal-Tires-On-Pavement. Didn't know you actually had to Stop!! Wow these Florida law are crazy. :dontknow:

Frank2 09-27-2007 12:38 PM

....and I always thought the STOP sign was merely a suggestion. :dontknow:

Hancle704 09-27-2007 04:43 PM

These scofflaws really are a minority of the drivers and we can thank God for that. The latest scarey ones seen are those who think they can make a left turn on a red light. In a short time I've seen it downtown at the light by the Bistro and more recently at Rio Grande and Morse Blvd. There are also some who drive golf carts clockwise around the Morse Blvd Circle (roundabout) Maybe they are from The UK :dontknow:

nitehawk 09-28-2007 07:26 AM

With such a great intrest in the drive in at the polo field -- maybe we could have golf cart race or a demolition derby - once a year - there would have to different classes of carts - like the few that go 20 mph and then the rest that go anywhere from 20mph and up to supersonic - maybe even a class for the Cooper Mimi car - which will soon be on our golf cart paths with a golf bag attachment on the trunk Just kidding