Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Storage Space (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/storage-space-9797/)

nanci2539 09-24-2007 09:01 AM

Storage Space

What do folks in TV use for storage space? Obvious is the garage but is it okay to use the attic to store stuff like seasonal items or things you can't part with?

We're taking inventory of our things now and having a full basement with two large storage areas, I wonder what to do with this stuff that's essential but not for everyday living. I sure don't want a garage full of boxes when we move to TV. I thought I read once that using the attic for storage is not a good idea because of the heat

Avista 09-24-2007 09:11 AM

Re: Storage Space

We rented a storage area for our boxes. Brought them home one by one and unpacked what we needed. We now have no more boxes. We did not save anything we didn't need from our larger home. Got rid of a lot before we moved here. Never had more than a couple boxes in our garage. Used it for our car and golf cart from day one. We have nothing upstairs.

golfnut 09-24-2007 02:10 PM

Good job avista, we hope to do the same, anything here in the basement as far as I'm concerned can go to the curb, I'm not interested in bringing a bunch of stuff to FLA that we don't need, I'll send my wife over and you two can talk.

Villages Kahuna 09-24-2007 03:58 PM

If You Haven't Begun To Seriously Dispose of "Stuff"...

...you're already behind schedule. If there is one shortcoming to Villages homes it's the sparcity of storage space. The closets are small; you fill up the garage with vehicles; and that leaves having drop stairs installed to the small and very hot attic above the garage...or commercial self storage.

Commercial self storage isn't cheap. A 5' by 4-1/2' by 10' high climate-controlled space at Fort Knox (a local storage facility) cost $50 a month!

How much do we really need or want all that extra stuff?

swrinfla 09-25-2007 01:38 PM

nanci:

". . .essential, but not for everyday living. . ."

Frankly, I think you must sit down with all that stuff, scrutinize it ruthlessly and come up with the fortitude to get rid of 99% of it!

Before I came down here, I was very reluctant to get rid of this or that - after all, "it" had been a part of "us" for years and years. But, I finally bit the bullet (note, my wife had passed away nearly five years before this change in my lifestyle) and chucked a lot of stuff. Haven't missed any of it! ;D

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that I simply took it out to the curb! Several local charities came and took lots away, for which I got a little bit of tax credit. Other stuff was given away without regard to tax credits, but I knew someone else would enjoy.

The hardest stuff to dispose of is, of course, truly personal things. Happily, our daughters and my in-laws took many of those.

Any way, all of us at TOTV look forward to seeing you 'round The Square!