Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Renting vs Buying (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/renting-vs-buying-9816/)

nanci2539 09-25-2007 02:06 PM

Renting vs Buying

I just read the thread Higher Priced Homes.

It has me thinking because moving to TV is going to be quite a change for us. Downsizing doesn't bother me because our home now is 4,000 sq feet and I'm ready for a simpler life. We have visited TV 3 times (our third time will be this November). And of course, we got caught up in the wonderful life style.

Our home will go on the market in January and then the plan is to buy a designer home in TV.

BUT, now I'm wondering if we're making a mistake not renting first. For me renting becomes too complicated. I have cats; we'll need to store our belongings, and it just seems like a wasted first step to take. BUT, now that I've read the tread on Higher Priced Homes, I'm wondering if I can adjust to TV lifestyle; I'm wondering if downsizing will be that easy even though I say I want it; I'm wondering if leaving the family and grandkids will be too much; and I'm wondering if visiting is much different than living there!

I'm wondering........

How many have visited and bought without renting and have never regretted their decision. And how many didn't rent and regretted buying without renting first????

mzmom3 09-25-2007 02:23 PM

Re: Renting vs Buying

Did not rent and wish we had. I think a long rental.....a month and/or more would have been a good idea. Actuallly, at least two months. We would have rethought our decision; I'm sure of it.

villages07 09-25-2007 02:23 PM

Rented a designer for month of July, 06 (mostly to see how the Florida summer felt)...and, ended up buying a house on July 7th. No regrets...thoroughly enjoying the people, activities, and climate. We also had a 4,000 sq ft house but only used half of it, so, "downsizing" to 2,000 sq ft was a piece of cake.

Living here for real is as much fun as the preview program.

But, family concerns and some of the other issues you raised might make you a good candidate to rent first...if you have the means, then rent while still owning your house is probably the least risky. Unless, of course, your intent is to sell your big house no matter what. In today's real estate market, you should sell first (which is a challenge in itself) before you buy down here (or anywhere else).

It is a huge decision and I would say that 90+% of the people who make it are happy with their choice; the others had regrets and some move 'back home' or elsewhere.

Good luck to you.

nhsnowbird 09-25-2007 03:10 PM

We are renters and at this particular time, I like it that way. Our plan is for three months in TV this winter. We live in NH and winter is LONG. But NH is where my daughter lives, son is in RI and we can drive down for the day to visit ... very positive reasons for staying in NH. We both love the lifestyle of TV, but I am not ready to give up getting to know my grandchild. I've seen others go to Florida, only to return when one of them gets sick. I like renting for now. Maybe down the road, I'll change my mind.

Pat :)

nanci2539 09-25-2007 03:16 PM

Did not rent and wish we had. I think a long rental.....a month and/or more would have been a good idea. Actually, at least two months. We would have rethought our decision; I'm sure of it

MZMom, can you share why you would have re-thought your decision to buy?

For the other question, it won't be possible for us to keep two homes. The expenses on our home is very high and downsizing here and having two homes doesn't make financial sense.

Plus, the big plus is my husband may still be working next year and he plans to take that to TV. He's in sales so can work out of the home.

Because I just lost my job and my husband's job was downgraded that included a pay cut; the three year plan to move has become a now plan to move. That's why the house is going on the market in January!

Barefoot 09-25-2007 11:00 PM

We rented for four days in March (Lifestyle Preview). That was long enough for us to fall in love. :clap2: Bought in May. Perhaps someday we'll regret it, I sincerely doubt it. My philosophy is "We're old, we don't know how many years we will be blessed with living on this planet. Grab a chunk of happiness while you can." :bigthumbsup:

jjdees 09-26-2007 02:41 PM

Right on Barefoot, enjoy it while you can.

Irish Rover 09-26-2007 03:52 PM

Nanci - we have been renting for the last five years (Jan-Feb). We fell in love with TV the first time we were there but like NHSnowbird we have children and grandchildren that we want to watch frow up. We have a home at Lake of the Ozarks, MO and one in St. Charles, MO both of which we enjoy. We couldn't decude which one we would sell so that we could split time with TV. Our answer has been a two month rental which satifies our urge to be there. However, we will probably go to 3 months in 2009. Good luck.

Indy-Guy 09-26-2007 04:19 PM

We sold our home in Indianapolis this last November and moved to The Villages full time. My wife took a job here and will work for several more years. At that time our plans are to rent a place back in Indiana during the summer either 2 or three months. Our thought is that we can rent during the summer in Indiana for money than we can rent in The Villages at prime time. The more tme I spend here I know that I would rather be in The Villages more than Indiana.

Our daughter is a teacher in Indiana and said that if we wanted to come back this summer that she knows 2 teachers that will be traveling during the summer and wanted to know if we would house sit while they were gone. We couldn't do that this year but it sure is a thought for when my wife retires.