Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   It's a nice place (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/its-nice-place-98579/)

gamby 12-19-2013 02:40 AM

It's a nice place

I think everyone makes way to much about the Snow and cold; Sure It's really nice here but so was it in CT, I traveled all over the north east and It's just beautiful. Florida has it's own beauty and there are trade offs.
I gave up the snow and cold which I never minded to move here ;

The trades are the Hurricanes, sink holes, Tornado's, and heat. If it's cold outside you turn up the heat and stay inside in the north, If it's hot here you stay inside and turn on the air.

The people here are just as nice as in New England.
OH ! I think crime here is much higher, not in the villages but Florida in general.
The truth is , I like both places ; In general the cost is about half to live here .

DonH57 12-19-2013 10:11 AM

There certainly are trade offs for everywhere you can possibly move I believe. I used to have to work in the snow, cold, heat, rain. I could'nt count how many times I'd set a ladder to a flat roof and use a snow shovel just to get to the piece of equipment I was to work on. This was our first summer here and it wasn't that bad. I just try to enjoy each day's weather since I have no control over it. I do love the sunshine and wamth here for sure.

BobnBev 12-19-2013 03:46 PM

Where in CT, Gamby?

DianeM 12-19-2013 03:54 PM

I'm with you. The northeast is gorgeous and you can't beat the foliage of autumn. The best part of Florida is the cost of living here. It's way less expensive.

KayakerNC 12-19-2013 04:05 PM

How many people have heart attacks shoveling snow?
How many slip and fall on the ice and break a hip?
No thanks.
I miss the ice-fishing, but a Michigan winter would probably kill me now. :cold:

John_W 12-19-2013 05:34 PM

I just got back from playing 18 holes at Mallory today in shorts and a short sleeve golf shirt. Yesterday I played pickleball for an hour and a half at Colony and most Saturdays I play softball unless like now, we're between seasons until January. If all you want to do is stay inside and turn up the heat, then you're right you can do that anywhere.

CFrance 12-19-2013 05:55 PM

You can turn up the heat in Michigan, but you can't make the sun come out.

Cisco Kid 12-19-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 798358)
You can turn up the heat in Michigan, but you can't make the sun come out.

When the gloom sets in, that is the worst.

ggomba1 12-19-2013 06:31 PM

You can always turn up the heat and stay indoors, but constant gray skies and cold days and nights in Pa. Is what I left behind!

lovsthosebigdogs 12-19-2013 06:32 PM

This is my last northern winter then we'll be frogs in just a few more months. I'm so sick of snow and it isn't even officially winter yet. There ARE pretty places here and that's why I have a few pictures. That's all I need while I'm enjoying Florida and The Villages. Bring it on!!

CFrance 12-19-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggomba1 (Post 798369)
You can always turn up the heat and stay indoors, but constant gray skies and cold days and nights in Pa. Is what I left behind!

'zactly. Months of gray really got me down.

Steve & Deanna 12-19-2013 07:50 PM

We just have to be strong through the 'slipping and sliding' forecast for the rest of this week in VT and then right after Christmas, it's Hello Villages for a long, long time.

Matzy 12-19-2013 08:06 PM

Well, what might happen when it is really snowing? Just watch that, and you have an answer for that question.

Click here >>: The People vs Winter -

If you can't open it, let me know.
Thanks

gamby 12-20-2013 01:50 AM

I'm from Southbury CT halfway between Waterbury and Danbury, via Rte. 84
Born in Bridgeport CT. and spent my youth there. We moved here 18 months ago and plan on staying .
I wish I could use some of the things available here but I'm disabled
I do have a hard time adjusting ; We lived in the same house in Connecticut for 42 years so you can imagine the shock my brain is in.

P.S. The heart attack mentioned above by( KayakerNC ) - It was going to happen anyway , (It wasn't the snow or the exercise that caused the disease).

Well, I hope you all have a great Holiday "I wouldn't go north though It's snowing and cold there this week. :):)"

2BNTV 12-20-2013 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamby (Post 798498)
I'm from Southbury CT halfway between Waterbury and Danbury, via Rte. 84
Born in Bridgeport CT. and spent my youth there. We moved here 18 months ago and plan on staying .
I wish I could use some of the things available here but I'm disabled on oxygen 24/7
It took over a year to walk again after coming out of a long coma. I do get around but
I'm very limited. The villages are very comfortable for this reason.

I do have a hard time adjusting ; We lived in the same house in Connecticut for 42 years so you can imagine the shock my brain is in.

P.S. The heart attack mentioned above by( KayakerNC ) - It was going to happen anyway , (It wasn't the snow or the exercise that caused the disease).

Well, I hope you all have a great Holiday "I wouldn't go north though It's snowing and cold there this week. :):)"

Sorry to hear about your medical limitations and sincerely hope, you get better.

I just typed a long post about this subject and lost it, when I hit the wrong key. :(

I lived in Bridgeport, CT for 28 years and all I can say is that "CT, is a good state to be from?". Higher taxes, crime, etc. Voted, worst state to be retired in. Although, I enjoy the change of seasons, the winters are unacceptable, to my bones. Last winter with Sandy, and the three and a half feet of snow in one continous snowfall, was more than enough for me. Besides, most of my immediate family, has moved to Florida.

Basically, I will choose living in TV, because 98% of the ttime, one is in shorts and sandals, going around doing things, they really enjoy, in much warmer and beutiful weather. More fun in the sun for me.