Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Cleveland Indians (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/cleveland-indians-9869/)

DDoug 10-01-2007 06:09 PM

Cleveland Indians

Is there anywhere to watch the Tribe thursday night where we won't be out of place.

tony 10-01-2007 06:11 PM

Re: Cleveland Indians

In Cleveland? ::)

JohnN 10-01-2007 07:57 PM

Uh, I think the tribe was 0-6 vs. the Yanks during the season, so I'll keep my expectations low.
However, anybody but the yankees is always my team. good luck

zcaveman 10-01-2007 08:39 PM

Yankees all the way!! First Cleveland then the Sox then the World Series title!!

However that is just me. I know that there are enough (NY) Yankee haters down here that you will comfortable anywhere.

jjdees 10-01-2007 09:20 PM

Go Tribe!!!!!!!!

az2fla 10-01-2007 09:34 PM

jjdees

I have to admit that the Tribe has the better pitching staff. The pitchers for the Yanks have been less than effective for the most part. However, if Carmona can't take them in the second game, the Indians will be watching the remainder of the post-season on their televisions. Those power hitters from The Bronx are tough and, as good as Indian pitching is, they were no match during the season against The Bombers. Hope it goes 5 games, though.

Good luck to your team.

jjdees 10-02-2007 04:36 PM

az2fla, I was rooting for the tribe in 1995 when they played the Braves in the series. We lived in Atlanta and it was a split family, my wife and daughters rooting for the Braves, me and my son for the Indians. I'd like to see them go all the way. It would be the first time since 1948 and that by the way was against the Braves, Boston that is. I was a little kid in Cleveland during that time.

az2fla 10-02-2007 05:55 PM

jjdees:

Boston also had the Red Sox in town and just as the New Yorkers of today hope for a "Subway Series" the beantown fans wanted a "MTA Series" but that was not to be. I seem to recall from seeing baseball history programs that Lou Boudeau was the player-manager of that Indians team. A great shortstop who has been overshadowed in baseball history by a Yank named "Scooter". I can't remember the name of the pitcher who suffered a near fatal blow to the head while batting. It ended his career as I recall. Since I was only one-year old at the time, these observations are strictly from television shows. You, however, had the pleasure of experiencing it in Cleveland, itself. Yeah, it would be GREAT for baseball to have a Indians/Cubbies World Series matchup.

What a fun time to be a baseball fan!!!

DDoug 10-02-2007 07:20 PM

You cant kick a true Cleveland fan no matter what they never turn their back on the home team. Others will get in aother boat to save themselves,not us loyal to the end through you know what and high water.

jjdees 10-02-2007 09:19 PM

I remember the incident clearly, can still picture the hit. Herb Score was hit by Gil McDougal of the Yankees in 1957.

az2fla 10-02-2007 11:36 PM

No, jjdees, that's not the incident I was referring to. I decided to research it on the net and the pitcher who got hammered in 1948 was Don Black. In the previous year he had the distinction of pitching the American League's first no-hitter under the lights. But tne following year (1948) he sustained a cerebral hemorrhage while batting in a game. It was, according to the doctors at the time, a near fatal blow and ended his career.

The Herb Score incident occurred, as you said, in 1957 when he was actually on the mound and hit by a line drive.

Three games on TBS on Wednesday.....enjoy.

jjdees 10-03-2007 04:42 PM

I don't remember that one. Maybe I was too young. (I was) Looking forward to the games.