Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Baseball - fantastic game.... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/baseball-fantastic-game-9874/)

az2fla 10-02-2007 01:19 AM

Baseball - fantastic game....

Hello Baseball fans,

I'm sure that being on the East Coast not many, if any, stayed up to watch the tiebreaker game between the Rockies and Padres. Well, Major League Baseball will be hard pressed to have a post-season as exciting as this game was. Here were two teams that after 162 game season ended that season with the exact same win-loss record. The tiebreaker game went into the 13th inning tied, of course, at six-six. San Diego scored two runs in the top of the inning and the Rockies came back with three runs to win the game and advance as the wildcard into the National League post-season. It didn't appear that the final Rockie run was legitimate but after having a homerun earlier in the game called a double...well, perhaps, what goes around comes around as they say. Yes, it'll take a lot for the regular playoffs and World Series to be more exciting than this great game.

Taltarzac 10-02-2007 07:38 AM

Re: Baseball - fantastic game....

Quote:

Originally Posted by az2fla
Hello Baseball fans,

I'm sure that being on the East Coast not many, if any, stayed up to watch the tiebreaker game between the Rockies and Padres. Well, Major League Baseball will be hard pressed to have a post-season as exciting as this game was. Here were two teams that after 162 game season ended that season with the exact same win-loss record. The tiebreaker game went into the 13th inning tied, of course, at six-six. San Diego scored two runs in the top of the inning and the Rockies came back with three runs to win the game and advance as the wildcard into the National League post-season. It didn't appear that the final Rockie run was legitimate but after having a homerun earlier in the game called a double...well, perhaps, what goes around comes around as they say. Yes, it'll take a lot for the regular playoffs and World Series to be more exciting than this great game.

I watched the end of that Padres-Rockies game last night. It did not look like the winning runner ever touched home base? Exciting game though!

bogart 10-02-2007 09:47 AM

We're BIG Rockies fans !!! Sure hope we can receive their games in TV when they make it to the World Series.
Glad that there are baseball fans on this forum. We're in Colorado now, leaving the 19th of Oct for TV.

Go Rockies !

az2fla 10-02-2007 10:11 AM

bogart - Have a safe journey from CO to FLA. It was a heck of a game and this team is on a roll having won 14 of it's last 15 games. Both they and the Yankees have the best records in MLB since the end of May. Could it be a Wildcard Series this year??

Taltarzac - I have to agree with you that it sure didn't look like the runner ever touched home plate. However, it surely did look like the "double" by Garrett Atkins hit the wheelchair and shot back onto the field. Looked like a homer to me. None of the Padres protested the safe call at home.

Regardless of all, it was a great 4-plus hours of entertainment and Todd Helton deserves this.

MMC24 10-02-2007 11:56 AM

Quote:

Hello Baseball fans,

Az2Fla:

I think the Yankee-Baltimore game where Mariano gave up a triple to set the stage for the Baltimore win in the 10th which gave the Red Sox the Pennet was quite exciting!! Red Sox celebration after Baltimore's win was GRRRReat!!! I partied too but had to stop short when attempting to pour champagine over my wife's head!!! :dontknow:

az2fla 10-02-2007 12:14 PM

Good one, MMC24 ! Each year it's a battle of the titans and you have to wonder when the tide will turn and the other teams in the division will surpass them. We have a hardy number of lobster roll lovers in our AZ community as well as NY'ers and it can get pretty brutal at this time of year. I can't see The Angels advancing past the Sox and same of The Indians. Probably another East Coast battle. As for the NL, the Rockies are really on a roll...they could tasting that good NY pizza in a few weeks. ;D

And, MMC24, I surely hope that the champagne you tried to pour of The Missus head was french and not the better California-type. Enjoy the post-season.

ZMAN 10-02-2007 12:25 PM

I am glad all of the Rockies fans are looking past the Phillies. It will make it even sweeter once the Rockies can't get past Philadelphia on their way to New York. Go Phillies :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :beer3:

az2fla 10-02-2007 12:34 PM

Hello Zman,

Not a Rockies fan but I can't deny that they're currently the NL team to be reckoned with. They've won 14 of their last 15 games and you shouldn't fight the momentum. Even the fabulous finish that your Phillies had cannot quite compare with the storm coming out of the Rocky Mountains. In any event, NY will take it all this year. We should all have fun discussing the near future via this forum......enjoy a Geno's while you enjoy the post-season. I understand they'll overnight them across the country.....yum! And by the way, I can't remember the name of the other sandwich stand. Can you refresh my memory please?

Taltarzac 10-02-2007 12:42 PM

Quote:

Taltarzac - I have to agree with you that it sure didn't look like the runner ever touched home plate. However, it surely did look like the "double" by Garrett Atkins hit the wheelchair and shot back onto the field. Looked like a homer to me. None of the Padres protested the safe call at home.

Regardless of all, it was a great 4-plus hours of entertainment and Todd Helton deserves this.

Could not really tell what that ball did. :dontknow:

az2fla 10-02-2007 12:54 PM

Yeah Taltarzac it was very hard to tell. I base my opinion on having been in that left-field section of Coors Field on more than one occasion. I've seen more than a few balls hit those chairs (sometimes with occupants) and pinball back onto the field. I think the ball would not have taken such a redirection as it did if it had hit the yellow padding at the top of the wall. But as you stated it was difficult to determine. Even if a replay was permitted as in NFL, no conclusive evidence would have allowed a change in the umpire's call.

Taltarzac 10-02-2007 03:07 PM

Quote:

Yeah Taltarzac it was very hard to tell. I base my opinion on having been in that left-field section of Coors Field on more than one occasion. I've seen more than a few balls hit those chairs (sometimes with occupants) and pinball back onto the field. I think the ball would not have taken such a redirection as it did if it had hit the yellow padding at the top of the wall. But as you stated it was difficult to determine. Even if a replay was permitted as in NFL, no conclusive evidence would have allowed a change in the umpire's call.

May get a thread ticket from the topic police. I lived in Denver too from the Summer of 1983 through 1984 while getting a Masters at DU. They did not have a baseball team in the majors when I was there. Probably would have gone to one if they had. Do not miss the snow all that much from Denver but still miss the Rocky Mountains. :(

az2fla 10-02-2007 03:17 PM

Taltarzac

Well, Howdy Neighbor. We, too, lived in Denver in the 80's and got a BIG kick out of going to Mile High Stadium to watch the Zephyrs. I can still remember the laugh I got when during one of the games the Mariachi Band and dancers from Casa Bonita Restaurant decided to do their thing ON TOP OF THE OPPOSING TEAM'S DUGOUT. You may recall that the dugouts at Mile High Stadium were metal and the sound was quite loud. Using a coupon from the Entertainment book, we could take a family of 4 to the game and sit about 10 rows behind the home team dugout for the huge price of $10. Yes, the tickets were five bucks apiece and with the coupon it was a buy one/get one deal. Although having MLB has been great for the City and entire region, for that matter, I missed the low cost entertainment that "triple-A" baseball gave us. The same thing about the International Hockey League Denver Grizzlies leaving in order for the Avs of the NHL to come into town.

MMC24 10-02-2007 09:29 PM

Quote:

Good one, MMC24 ! Each year it's a battle of the titans and you have to wonder when the tide will turn and the other teams in the division will surpass them. We have a hardy number of lobster roll lovers in our AZ community as well as NY'ers and it can get pretty brutal at this time of year. I can't see The Angels advancing past the Sox and same of The Indians. Probably another East Coast battle. As for the NL, the Rockies are really on a roll...they could tasting that good NY pizza in a few weeks. ;D

And, MMC24, I surely hope that the champagne you tried to pour of The Missus head was french and not the better California-type. Enjoy the post-season.

az2fla:

Nope it was the cheap french kind. Instead of pouring it over her head I drank it and woke up with the worst headache the next morning. . . So much for buying cheap should have purchased the more expensive California brand :bigthumbsup:

az2fla 10-02-2007 11:27 PM

Well MMC24 you may be enjoying more champagne soon. How about champagne with a lobster roll and a skybar for dessert? Isn't it funny how Johnny Damon suddenly became "corporate" once he joined the pinstripes? He went from looking like a homeless guy to front cover of GQ. Good luck to your team but it won't be easy.