Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   AMELIA'S in the Waterfront Inn (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/amelias-waterfront-inn-9882/)

jtdraig 10-02-2007 05:04 PM

AMELIA'S in the Waterfront Inn

My wife and I had dinner during the soft opening at Amelia's at the Waterfront Inn. The food was spectacular. I had a tenderloin that was incredible, done perfectly to order, and just was exquisite. The she-crab soup was the best I have ever had. My wife had a steak salad which was also perfect. The bill for both of us without drinks: $32.00. Once the word gets out, this place will be hard to get into.

The ambiance was OK. The view was beautiful but the dining room is plain; the tables for two are too small; and, it will be noisy.

Overall...don't miss it.

JUREK 10-02-2007 05:11 PM

Re: AMELIA'S in the Waterfront Inn

When is the official or grand opening of Amelias ??
We will be down for month of October in 3 days. :dontknow: :dontknow:

Irish Rover 10-04-2007 06:02 PM

Itdrag - you lived in a few towns that had large printing facilities. Were you a printer or in graphic arts by any chance?

mrskkb 10-11-2007 12:16 PM

Has anyone else been to Amelia's?

The menu looks great.

joanmcdonald 10-15-2007 07:09 AM

We went to Amelia's October 4th. The food was very good and the prices were reasonable. However, we were very disappointed in the size of the restaurant. The table for two (which is what they mostly have)is very small. We ordered a salad with our meal and there wasn't enough room to hold all the plates. They moved us to a bigger table. Not our choosing, we didn't complain about it but the waitress felt we were too crowded and moved us. The size and atmosphere left something to be desired.

mrskkb 10-22-2007 12:12 PM

Went there yesterday with some friends.

Food was wonderful.

She crab soup was out of this world. Just like Savannah, Ga.

I had the Tenderloin. Cooked perfect.

I like the fact that it is small and cozy. More intimate dining and excellent

food and service.

Will be going back for sure.

jtdraig 10-27-2007 02:59 PM

Irish, I was with IBM for 37 years...which accounts for most of those places. You are correct that the printing industry was in many of them!!

swrinfla 10-27-2007 05:40 PM

I don't imagine that many of us eat breakfast out, normally, but I thought it worth reporting here that I did just that for a couple of mornings this past week. I had guests in town (unable to stay in my house due to allergic reactions to The Cat) who really enjoyed their stay at The Waterfront Inn.
However, I think the staff in Amelia's needs to take a close look at their morning service. While the very small breakfast buffet served up nice fresh fruits and decently done bacon and sausage, and a couple of egg-based casseroles (and to-order scrambled eggs were available), it took too long to clear a table, to bring coffee and/or juice.
I acknowledge that Friday morning they were perhaps overwhelmed - there was a large crowd of Italians, here for some sort of conference - but a well-staffed in-hotel restaurant should never be overwhelmed!
With time, I'm sure things will improve!

jtdraig 10-27-2007 05:43 PM

This seems to be a problem whenever a restaurant opens here...You'd think they would all be smarter....

LovinItAtTheVillages 11-15-2007 04:57 AM

My husband and I are planning to have Thanksgiving Dinner at Amelia's
The buffet sounded nice..$25 a person...
and we are hoping it is good

samhass 11-23-2007 07:11 PM

Our ladies group had a luncheon at the Waterfront. It was so bad that the manager had
letters hand delivered to our homes expressing regret over the luncheon. They gave us coupons for a couple of drinks or appetizers. Unfortunately, over 60 women left the place feeling very underwhelmed.

carole131 12-26-2007 07:36 PM

Dinner at Amelia's on Thanksgiving was most disappointing. What is it with that loud, garish wallpaper in the lobby? Our party of 7 was ushered into the restaurant in good time, but the place was overcrowded to the point that those seating on the "outside" (not at the banquette) were constantly jostled by the wait staff & other diners as they moved about. The food, except for the salad & its dressing, was dull. Deli turkey breast & what appeared to be canned ham? Servers reached across us to retrieve plates. So noisy with that overcrowding that we couldn't carry on a decent conversation. Too ambitious an effort for a room that should be used for breakfast or lunch, not a nice, calm dinner. None of us plans to return.

samhass 12-26-2007 09:08 PM

We returned to Amelia's to give it another chance. To our surprise, the food was excellent.
The crab cake appetizer consisted of two nice sized crab cakes and a small serving of cole slaw. It was delicious. We shall return.