Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Burglar Robbing People (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/burglar-robbing-people-9930/)

Indy-Guy 10-05-2007 10:22 PM

Burglar Robbing People

Play news Video

http://www.wftv.com/video/14272226/index.html

Talk Host 10-06-2007 05:45 AM

Re: Burglar Robbing People

That's pretty scary.

I wondere how many people in the Villages have a fire arm in the house.

nitehawk 10-06-2007 06:07 AM

I do not have one - but am considering getting one. Just wondering what is the procedure. Do you have to take a safety course or just purchase a fire arm.

nanci2539 10-06-2007 07:32 AM

I don't think I would go that route. Particularly not being experienced. A large dog would do a better job!

Gee, I haven't moved to TV yet and this has me thinking. Of course, no place is safe but these robbers seem pretty brazen to rob during the day when people are at home.

rdkent 10-06-2007 07:45 AM

I believe in self protection and have firearms myself, BUT keep in mind:
-If you don't have the training you're more likely to hurt yourself than the burglar
-You have to be willing to use it if you're going to threaten with it. Most people without military or police training aren't really ready to use a weapon against someone.
-The way this guy operates you would have to have the weapon on you or beside you at all times. Highly unlikely.

I'd go for the alarm system.

bamafan 10-06-2007 08:16 AM

Seems to me that one of the best ways to stop a lot of this is to go to a truly gated community. All vendors would have to be screened and given ID's before they could have access. There are a lot of questionable persons just running the streets of TV. There also needs to be some controls placed on solicitation. A gun is not always the answer, as stated most people when confronted with a situtation will react in an undesirable manner, however it does cure the receivedism rate.
Alarm systems are only as good as the response to them. If the bad guys know that the response is going to be slow then they do not have a lot to lose. They will however alert and sometimes annoy your neighbors with the siren going off. Oh and has the Daily Sun mentioned any of the break ins?

English Ivy 10-06-2007 09:19 AM

The following article was in yesterday's Daily Sun:

Sumter burglary suspects sought
By KATIE TAMMEN, DAILY SUN

BUSHNELL — Sheriff’s investigators are turning to the public for help in capturing a person believed to be responsible for at least 13 reported burglaries in Sumter County between Aug. 31 and Oct. 3.

On Thursday, sheriff’s officials released suspect and vehicle descriptions, and indicated the burglar may have had two accomplices, in hopes it would help lead to clues to solving the

burglaries.

According to Sheriff Bill Farmer, those 13 burglaries occurred in the north end of Sumter County. Four of them occurred in the Sumter County portion of The Villages, as previously reported in The Villages Daily Sun. Six of the 13 burglaries happened in the Parkwood Community of Wildwood, including two Wednesday night, said Wildwood Police Capt. Edward Reeser. Three burglaries also were investigated in Continental Country Club in Sumter County, east of Wildwood on State Road 44, said Sumter County Sheriff’s Capt. Gary Brannen.

Authorities are searching for a 6-foot, 1-inch, clean-shaven black male who weighs between 180 and 200 pounds.

The suspect is believed to drive a red pickup with a black utility cover, Farmer said in a press conference Thursday afternoon.

Authorities believe the suspect enters homes through unlocked windows and doors and is “in and out really quick,” Farmer said.

“This is a burglar who will enter a home when people are home,” he said.

Most of the burglaries have occurred in the early evening and the suspect usually takes small items such as a purse or wallet, Farmer said.

While there haven’t yet been encounters between homeowners and the suspect, Farmer warned residents not to confront the suspect if they see him, but to leave their home immediately and call 911.

Law enforcement officers believe the suspect drives through neighborhoods during the day before breaking in that night, Farmer said.

This suspect, Brannen said, does not seem to care if he is seen, so residents who spot a person who fits the suspect’s description either cruising the street during the day or walking down the street at night should contact law enforcement immediately.

Authorities also are looking for two females who may be accomplices to the suspect, Farmer said.

These two women have used the credit cards stolen at the homes at fast food restaurants, gas stations and convenience stores between Sumter County and Gainesville, he said.

“What we really want to do is identify the females,” Brannen said. “It’s really in the community’s hands right now. Somebody knows who they are.”

Brannen also encouraged residents to take proactive measures to safeguard their homes against these burglaries, including locking all doors, installing security systems and motion-sensor lights.

Anyone with information in this case should contact the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office at 793-0222 or Crimeline at (800) 423-TIPS.

Katie Tammen is a writer with the Daily Sun. She can be reached at 753 -1119, ext. 9264, or katie.tammen@thevillagesmedia.com.

pili 10-06-2007 01:46 PM

I wouldn't buy a gun not knowing how to use one. I think everyone should be more vigilant, keep doors locked, and watch out for strangers. I saw the video from the news and the guy seems to have a lot of nerve just walking in homes. I also saw news indicating that there was a woman accomplice. The woman had ran some highly bills using a stolen credit card.
Ladies, keep your purses hidden and not in plain view. Hopefully, he'll be caught soon. I think TV is too large to be a gated community.

RCT 10-06-2007 01:59 PM

Seem to me that it would be so cost prohibitive for total gated. Imagine the cost of upkeep, if TV was solely responsible for roads?? what kind of fees would there be then?!?!?! I have looked at crime stats, and, as long as what is being reported is correct, is a very safe place still.

bestmickey 10-06-2007 07:06 PM

As I noted in a post some time ago, Knowledge is Power. If I currently lived in The Villages, I'd be loudly complaining to the developer, the local police and the local press (specifically The Villages Daily Sun) that they MUST have immediate reporting of all such crimes.

The fact that more than one month passed before they publicized the crimes is absurd!
If the crimes had been publicized immediately, it may have saved others from being victimized.

zcaveman 10-06-2007 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestmickey
As I noted in a post some time ago, Knowledge is Power. If I currently lived in The Villages, I'd be loudly complaining to the developer, the local police and the local press (specifically The Villages Daily Sun) that they MUST have immediate reporting of all such crimes.

The fact that more than one month passed before they publicized the crimes is absurd!
If the crimes had been publicized immediately, it may have saved others from being victimized.

What makes you think that we haven't complained?

On a rare occasion there will be an article in the Daily Sun. There are more articles in the Star Banner (Ocala newspaper that covers the Villages). We are told to keep the doors, garages and windows shut and locked. We are told to report any supicious person on the streets.

These burglars come in when residents are taking showers or watching TV in the next room. As long as someone can walk through an unmanned gate, we are vulnerable.

We are being warned!! We have to be proactive also!!

bestmickey 10-06-2007 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcaveman
We are being warned!! We have to be proactive also!!

Amen to that!

zcaveman 10-06-2007 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oshunluva
How are these people unlocking your doors? windows, etc?

They are not doing that. People are leaving their windows open to get the breeze and the burglars are cutting out the screens and coming in through the OPEN windows - or open garage doors.

The Great Fumar 10-07-2007 09:14 PM

Seems to me burglars are really taking a chance with as many veterans as there are in tv....many of us have fire arms in our homes and would not hesitate to use them...

tbsoccer 10-07-2007 10:24 PM

You don't necessarily need a big dog. Just one that barks when anyone come to the house or in the yard. Burglars aren't looking for a confrontation. So if a dog is barking when they approach a home, they will take the path of least resistance and go somewhere else. (At least it's a good theory.)