Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   I think we should change the name of Morse Circle to....... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/i-think-we-should-change-name-morse-circle-9988/)

Talk Host 10-10-2007 04:26 PM

I think we should change the name of Morse Circle to.......

Kamikaze Circle! :yikes:

It is a real challenge every time I drive through there. If golf carts aren't crossing in front of you, traffic is failing to yield into the circle and nobody uses turn signals. Last week, my wife made a full panic stop when a golf cart crossed in front of her. Today, I darn near sprained my neck trying to watch what everybody was doing. While I was, a golf cart sped across El Camino and the guy didn't look either way.....he just went across. :yikes: I don't think it is that bad anywhere else in the Villages.

Yes, I think Kamikaze Circle is a good name.

(I edited this to conform to the reminder that I received below)

villager99 10-10-2007 04:32 PM

Re: I think we should change the name of Morris Circle to.......

i concur. as a golf cart only driver i use back roads and tunnels to avoid morse circle whenever i can. takes me longer but i really don't want to find out what happens when a car and golf cart collide.

Hancle704 10-10-2007 06:19 PM

Believe you meant Morse Circle. Whatever happened to the re-painting of lanes to conform to new standards? I mean the earlier video that appeared on TOTV was a clear presentation about how roundabouts should be marked and negotiated.

I saved the link because I thought it was good and could set the standard for TV.
Here it is: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/eesc/CAE/des.../mpg_index.htm

With all of the hot patch being applied on Morse and The Circle, how about Pot Hole Blvd and Travel At Your Own Risk Circle. :cop:

Taltarzac 10-12-2007 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hancle704
Believe you meant Morse Circle. Whatever happened to the re-painting of lanes to conform to new standards? I mean the earlier video that appeared on TOTV was a clear presentation about how roundabouts should be marked and negotiated.

I saved the link because I thought it was good and could set the standard for TV.
Here it is: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/eesc/CAE/des.../mpg_index.htm

With all of the hot patch being applied on Morse and The Circle, how about Pot Hole Blvd and Travel At Your Own Risk Circle. :cop:

Perhaps, Chaos Circle?

I drive US 19 at times and am actually more nervous around Morse Circle than on US 19. The reason is that there are cautious people often on 19. Not so much on Morse Circle.

US 19 has a section that not too long ago was the most dangerous road in the US--

"Florida
According to a Dateline NBC study, part of US 19 in Florida is the most dangerous road in the United States. A Florida Highway Patrol test period beginning in 1998 and ending in 2003, as mandated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, showed the stretch of US 19 from Pasco County to Pinellas County to average approximately 52 deaths a year, or 262 deaths in the 5 year duration of the study. 100 of these deaths were pedestrian related making US 19 the #1 worst road to walk on in these two counties.[3]"

They have bumper stickers that read something like "I survived US 19". I have driven by some truly horrendous wrecks on US 19 during the 9 years I lived in Pinellas County (1996-2005).

Maybe, we should get these kind of bumper stickers that say "I survived Morse Circle"?

eujaynia 10-13-2007 12:39 PM

Re: I think we should change the name of Morse Circle to.......

Hancle704-- thank you for the video. It was very informative, and I also found out I'm doing 'some' round-abouting wrong.

Rebekah (eujaynia)

Taltarzac 10-13-2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eujaynia
Hancle704-- thank you for the video. It was very informative, and I also found out I'm doing 'some' round-abouting wrong.

Rebekah (eujaynia)

Yes Hancle704. Good video. I think that I have been contributing to the chaos on Morse Circle. Did not know that you use the outer circle for either leaving at the 3 or 12 o'clock positions and inner circle for the 9 or 6 o'clock positions. I always worry about what the person in the inner lane is going to do.

captain1202 10-13-2007 07:47 PM

I feel vindicated with the video. During a recent visit I was "scolded" by our resident friends for not staying in the right lane all the way around. Here in New England where "rotary traffic circles" as they are known here are fairly commonplace, the correct way to negotiate them is as described in the video. Also, the incoming traffic should yield (not stop) to traffic in the circle. The idea is to keep traffic moving smoothly.

When we get to TV I'll help lead the reform movement ;D :cop:

zcaveman 10-13-2007 08:13 PM

AND if you stay in the right hand lane all the way through the circle things will go smoothly. These are very tight roundabouts on the north side and there is no hurry since you are only going a short distance. WHAT IS THE RUSH!!