Best Player to have never.....

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2017, 11:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Best Player to have never.....

There always seems to be the question of who's the best player in the world to have never won a major.
Sergio was probably the guy until last April.

But I got to thinking, who is the best player in history to have never won a major.

The first person that comes to my mind is Colin Montgomery. He was so close in so many majors and won a bazillion tournaments worldwide and topped the European Order of Merit many times. My only hesitation is that he really didn't play the US PGA tour a whole lot so he really wasn't playing against the best in the world.

Anyone else have an opinion?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
There always seems to be the question of who's the best player in the world to have never won a major.
Sergio was probably the guy until last April.

But I got to thinking, who is the best player in history to have never won a major.

The first person that comes to my mind is Colin Montgomery. He was so close in so many majors and won a bazillion tournaments worldwide and topped the European Order of Merit many times. My only hesitation is that he really didn't play the US PGA tour a whole lot so he really wasn't playing against the best in the world.

Anyone else have an opinion?
Lee Westwood, Matt Kuchar and Steve Stricker
Old 06-17-2017, 11:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Lee Westwood, Matt Kuchar and Steve Stricker
Certainly, those, along with Rickie Fowler are some of the best current players to have never won a major.

I was thinking about going back in history and trying to come up with the all-time best to have never won one.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:51 AM
Sage

Google is an amazing tool. Look what I found.

All-Time Best Without A Major | GOLF.com

Old 06-17-2017, 08:11 PM
Platinum member

I remember when Tom Kite was the all time money leader and had no majors. He finally won the US Open in the early 90s.

Another was Corey Pavin. Turned pro in 1982 and finally won a major in 1995.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:27 PM
Sage

Looking at the list - I pick Doug Sanders.

I was going to say Bob Goalby but checked and he won the 1968 Masters.

In the 1961 PGA Championship at Olympia Fields, Ill I was a forecaddie on the 4th hole which was lined with trees on both sides and a 6' chain link fenced OB in the left. A player teed off and drove into the trees on the right where I and the fans were standing. I yelled fore and most people ducked. A few minutes later a player came into the group of fans and said to one of the fans "how's it going dad" to which the reply was "not good son you just broke my watch". The player was Bob Goalby as reported in the Chicago newspapers the next day. I caddied at Olympia Fields and other Chicago south suburban country clubs my last two years of high school.

Happy Fathers Day to all!

'
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)

Last edited by chuckinca; 06-17-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I remember when Tom Kite was the all time money leader and had no majors. He finally won the US Open in the early 90s.

Another was Corey Pavin. Turned pro in 1982 and finally won a major in 1995.
All-time leading money winner is an irrelevant statistic. Unless you adjust for inflation and even with that, the purses are so much bigger today. My first serious teacher was a guy named Paul Runyan. He was the leading money winner the first year that stats were kept. He won about $6800.
I have a friend who played on tour for eleven years. Although he had one win, he was considered to be a journeyman player. But he won more money in his career than Ben Hogan.

You can take money stats and toss them out the window.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
All-time leading money winner is an irrelevant statistic. Unless you adjust for inflation and even with that, the purses are so much bigger today. My first serious teacher was a guy named Paul Runyan. He was the leading money winner the first year that stats were kept. He won about $6800.
I have a friend who played on tour for eleven years. Although he had one win, he was considered to be a journeyman player. But he won more money in his career than Ben Hogan.

You can take money stats and toss them out the window.
Kite was the first in Tour history to reach $6 million, $7 million, $8 million, and $9 million in career earnings, and that is an irrelevant statistic?
Old 06-18-2017, 05:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Kite was the first in Tour history to reach $6 million, $7 million, $8 million, and $9 million in career earnings, and that is an irrelevant statistic?
Yes. Purses have grown exponentially beginning back te 80s. A friend of mine won the 1974 Kemper Open. It was one of the highest purses of the era. His first place prize money was $50,0000. How many tournaments would a player have had to win in 1974 to get to $6 million? In 1988, Curtis Strange was the first player to win $1 million in a year. And if I'm not mistaken he had to win the big season-endingTour Championship which almost doubled his earnings for the year. Today a player wins a minor event and wins more than anyone before 1988 won in an entire season. But even that million dollars was deceptive when you consider that half of it came from one tournament.

Money winnings are irrelevant unless they are adjusted and I don't know how they even can be adjusted for today's tour.

Again, my friend, Bob Menne, 1974 Kemper Open Champion won more money in his career than Ben Hogan. Where would you rank Bob Menne compared to Ben Hogan.

Greg Chalmers has won more than double what Jack Nicklaus won in his career.

If you look at the list of most money won in a career, the top 59 are current players. Jack Nicklaus, the greatest golfer in history is number 261 on that list.

Career earnings are a meaningless statistic.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:12 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Yes. Purses have grown exponentially beginning back te 80s. A friend of mine won the 1974 Kemper Open. It was one of the highest purses of the era. His first place prize money was $50,0000. How many tournaments would a player have had to win in 1974 to get to $6 million? In 1988, Curtis Strange was the first player to win $1 million in a year. And if I'm not mistaken he had to win the big season-endingTour Championship which almost doubled his earnings for the year. Today a player wins a minor event and wins more than anyone before 1988 won in an entire season. But even that million dollars was deceptive when you consider that half of it came from one tournament.

Money winnings are irrelevant unless they are adjusted and I don't know how they even can be adjusted for today's tour.

Again, my friend, Bob Menne, 1974 Kemper Open Champion won more money in his career than Ben Hogan. Where would you rank Bob Menne compared to Ben Hogan.

Greg Chalmers has won more than double what Jack Nicklaus won in his career.

If you look at the list of most money won in a career, the top 59 are current players. Jack Nicklaus, the greatest golfer in history is number 261 on that list.

Career earnings are a meaningless statistic.
I am only comparing Kite to his contemporaries who all had a shot at the same purses he did. He was winning more tournaments than they and was at that time the best player without a major. His major came in his 17th win.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:54 PM
Sage

Different discussion. We're discussing all time. Yes, money lists are relevant when comparing players of the same era but are meaningless when discussing the best of all time.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:41 PM
Platinum member

What was the most unlikely major win?
I vote for Orville Moody. His only regular tour win in 266 starts was the US Open.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
What was the most unlikely major win?
I vote for Orville Moody. His only regular tour win in 266 starts was the US Open.
That's a good one. I'd add Lucas Glover, Steve Jones, Jack Fleck, Ed Furgol and Dick Mayer and Michael Campbell to that list.

But in my opinion, the most unlikely champion would probably be Francis Ouimet

Old 06-18-2017, 06:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
That's a good one. I'd add Lucas Glover, Steve Jones, Jack Fleck, Ed Furgol and Dick Mayer and Michael Campbell to that list.

But in my opinion, the most unlikely champion would probably be Francis Ouimet
Steve Jones could have had a much more impressive career if he had never ridden dirt bikes. I expected much more out of Michael Campbell. He had the tools. I was at the 1995 Open Championship at St Andrews, and John Daly winning was a big surprise. I also went to the 94 Open at Turnberry and watched Jesper Parnevik's course management error cost him a playoff spot. I was pulling for him to win.

Tags
won, player, world, major, merit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.