The Masters

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2019, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Exclamation The Masters

If the weekend continues the excitement of the first two days...hang on to the edge of your seats!

The number of top-ranked players near the top and in the running...is unprecedented.

Unless someone gets red hot and totally runs away and hides, or the weather allows some 'mudder's' (typically Europeans who are more used to playing in bad weather) to make some big moves...this could be the most magical Masters EVER!

It even has the potential, of being the best major tournament...in all of golf history.

I've personally stocked up on snacks, hit the DVR record button (to skip the few commercials)...and can't wait to watch.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

So far it's one of the best. Five tied for first and four just a shot behind. There are close to forty players that have a chance to win.

One thing that I learned about the Masters. In most cases, the winning score will be within 3 of the 36 hole lead and the winner will not be the 36 hole leader. But I don't know if that will apply this year with this insane leaderboard.

The thing is that with the soft conditions, it's very possible for someone to go real low. I wouldn't be surprised to be a 63 or even lower today. If someone that's even par goes that low, he'll be in the mix.

This is the most wide open major that I can recall. Should be a great weekend.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:16 AM
Sage

A somewhat unrelated question I've been thinking about. When Jack and Gary can no longer be the honorary starters, who will be next.

My guess is Tom Watson, Ben Crenshaw and Raymond Floyd.

Any other ideas?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
A somewhat unrelated question I've been thinking about. When Jack and Gary can no longer be the honorary starters, who will be next.

Any other ideas?
I vote for Watson, Crenshaw and Faldo.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:44 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

Any other ideas?

Bill Murray
Old 04-13-2019, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I vote for Watson, Crenshaw and Faldo.
I might add Fred Couples to the list.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2019, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I found Tiger's comment interesting when asked what he expects for Saturday. He said that the course is usually set up to spread the field on Saturday and that's what he expects. Should be a good day today and tomorrow (if it doesn't get rained out). Nice thing about being retired...we can cancel tee times on Monday if the move they final round.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-13-2019, 11:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I found Tiger's comment interesting when asked what he expects for Saturday. He said that the course is usually set up to spread the field on Saturday and that's what he expects. Should be a good day today and tomorrow (if it doesn't get rained out). Nice thing about being retired...we can cancel tee times on Monday if the move they final round.
Yeah, I've also been thinking that a Monday finish...is very possible.

Given the very scary forecasts for a possible massive amount of tornadoes in Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia...I just hope folks stay safe.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Masters First Day of Spring in my book
Old 04-13-2019, 12:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
I agree but with the soft conditions, I don't think that there is a lot to do to control scoring. Usually the course dictates what kind of shot must be hit but with the greens so soft, players will have the option to hit the shot that they want.

Unless the weather report changes dramatically, I think that a Monday finish is a done deal.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:11 PM
Sage

Thinking of the bad weather forecast...just reminded me of a funny story.

A buddy of mine, who was dating a woman from Amelia Island about 20 years ago, got into a conversation about golf with her.

She mentioned, in no uncertain terms, how 'dumb & ridiculous' she thought golf was.

Him being an avid golfer, decided at that point it probably wasn't going to work between them in the long run...but didn't give up trying to 'sell' the game to her.

Her response was that she had went to the Masters one rainy year and detested walking up and down all of the hills...constantly slogging through the mud.

Making the obvious assumption, his first question was... "what practice day did you attend?"

Her answer was, "it was on Sunday...not a practice day."

At this point, my buddy is drooling with a dropped jaw, asked her if she knew how hard it was to get a Sunday ticket and how in the world did someone that didn't even like golf...go to it in the first place?

She then tells him, "I didn't have much choice, my brother had recently married one of Hootie Johnson's daughters...and the entire wedding party was pretty much obligated to attend!"

I told my buddy he should try to contact the daughter (IIRC-her brother was divorced from her by that time)...and see if maybe something might work out from there.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:24 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

2014 took the Masters off my bucket list as my wife and I got to see all four days of the tournament. Bubba Watson won his second green jacket. It’s some kind of special place.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
2014 took the Masters off my bucket list as my wife and I got to see all four days of the tournament. Bubba Watson won his second green jacket. It’s some kind of special place.

Very SCHWEET!

Color me envious, as it's still...on my bucket list.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
It's a good thing that The Masters is not being played at The Villages this year, because Tiger Woods would have been turned away for not having a collar on his shirt.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Still on my bucket list

My husband was fortunate enough to play Augusta National with fellow country club member that was a member of Augusta National also, that player, Billy Joe Patton. Probably no one on this site remembers him but he was a famous amateur in 1957 that had a good chance to win the Masters.
My ole boy shot 79. He said it was the most beautiful course he's ever played. He took me to several practice days and it was wonderful!
Closed Thread

Tags
weather, masters, potential, major, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.