Does anyone else hate the new Fed Ex Cup Scoring Rule

Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2019, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Does anyone else hate the new Fed Ex Cup Scoring Rule

So now, if you win the Tour Championship, you win the FedEx Cup no matter what. Additionally, they give a crazy number of FedEx cup points for the playoff events.

My understanding was that the FedEx Cup was supposed to be a season long race. Now, you can be leading the points by a mile and not play well in two tournaments and you almost no chance to win the $15 million.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:46 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Don't care for it.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
So now, if you win the Tour Championship, you win the FedEx Cup no matter what. Additionally, they give a crazy number of FedEx cup points for the playoff events.

My understanding was that the FedEx Cup was supposed to be a season long race. Now, you can be leading the points by a mile and not play well in two tournaments and you almost no chance to win the $15 million.
I’m not sure there’s a really good, satisfying way to end the season long Cup chase and a tournament called the Tour Championship at the same time.

My jury is still out on the current system...work all season long to just get small advantage on the last weekend? Meh.

But I do like it better than last year. Somebody gets a trophy for winning the Tour Championship and somebody else gets a trophy for winning the FedEx Cup? Nahhh. Just like the PGA, I didn’t like it a bit.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 08-24-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,334 Times in 5,066 Posts

Apparently, the Tour Championship is not a real tournament because one player starts out with a 10 stroke lead. Is that correct? But, I think they wanted to get away from constantly trying to explain the complicated FedEx point math. I love math, but maybe the accountants were charging too much.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

Not much different in most sports. When you get to the playoffs you play well or your out. An 8 and 8 team could beat a 16 an 0 team in the NFL playoffs. If the 150th Player in the FedEx’s 1st of 3 tournaments won he would vault into the top 30 easily, so 3 tournament good play out of any of the top 150 could make them a winner. Most other sport playoffs you loose one and done. For me so far I like the new FedEx format.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,134 Times in 826 Posts

My only criticism would be that they are playing this final event on a course that the best players in the world are struggling to get a few shots under par after 2 rounds. So really, no chance for real movement or to make up a several stroke lead given at the start. If they continue with this format it might be worthwhile to decrease the advantage given the leaders coming into the final event.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,506 Times in 677 Posts

I'm not sure there is any format, for a year-long "season race,"...that would satisfy everyone.

At least now, we don't have the constant, confusing, math gymnastics and hole-by-hole updates...to figure out where everyone stands.

As to whether the starting scores assigned are fair, can (and will be) argued, folks should remember that while other sports do have a 'one and done' format the highest rated usually plays the lowest rated to start...so very low chances of the lower ranked teams ever winning the tournament.

At least this way, someone who plays 4 great rounds...still has a chance to win it all.

And more importantly, at least to me, is that I at least know where everyone stands...on every hole.

I can see some possible fine-tuning in coming years, but I personally have no problem...with the current overall premise.

I like the idea that whomever wins the tournament...also wins the Fed-Ex cup.

The potential of two winners, at the same tournament...always seemed weird to me.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:02 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I didn't like it before and don't like it now. Not sure what the best way to do it would be, but starting out 10 strokes ahead seems like way to many. The goal is to determine who the best player for that year is and reward them for that consistent great play. Think about a player who won 7 or 8 tournaments in a given year but came in last in the other 20. And a player who came in the top ten in every tournament and in 2nd place for half of them but never won. How do you measure the success of each of these players and get them on equal footing to start a tournament to determine the best of the best? Maybe match play or playoff teams? I don't know the answer but there has to be a better way than they are doing now.

They lost me as a viewer as I lost interest until they figure this out.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:08 AM
Sage

I think one of the goals for the FedEx cup is to encourage the best players to play in more tournaments during the year, and for them to continue to show up for tournaments after the majors are over for the year. In that respect, I think the FedEx cup has been successful.

Also, note that the top player doesn't actually have a 10 stroke lead over the entire field. There are only 30 players, and he only has a 10 stroke advantage over a few of the players at the bottom. His lead over the second place guy was only 2 strokes.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 08-25-2019 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

The best should win period.. I hate wild cards, teams that have a mediocre season get lucky any beat the team that had a stellar season
It's all about the Benjamin's
Old 08-25-2019, 05:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,262 Times in 800 Posts

I liked it better than trying to figure out points. My thought on improvement would be to award the same number of points for each tournament throughout the year. Never mind giving more points for majors. This in encouraging golfers to pick which events to play in. You want to win big bucks play them all. Make the purse for majors be the substantial difference from the other tournaments.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I liked it better than trying to figure out points. My thought on improvement would be to award the same number of points for each tournament throughout the year. Never mind giving more points for majors. This in encouraging golfers to pick which events to play in. You want to win big bucks play them all. Make the purse for majors be the substantial difference from the other tournaments.
I agree that, if you awarded the same number of points for each tournament, it may be a fairer system. But, the problem is that the final playoff would be boring, and probably not raise the big bucks. If you don't raise the extra FedEx money with advertising, spectator interest, and additional tournaments, you can't pay out extra money to the winners. So, it would kind of defeat the purpose. You can't just pay more money unless you generate it.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:46 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,090 Times in 1,325 Posts

Unreal amount of money.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Here is how the top 30 fared.

You can see how many went up or down compared to ranking and finish.

Stat – FedExCup Standings

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2019, 07:33 AM
Gold member

At least they figured out a way to end up with one winner. It worked really well this year, as the cream definitely rose to the top. McElroy, Koepka and Thomas rose to the top, which is the way it should be. We'll see if it continues to work this well.
Closed Thread

Tags
cup, fedex, win, points, season

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.