Golf Gibberish

Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2020, 01:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts
Default Golf Gibberish

I like to watch golf on television. I also like to collect things that the announcers and players have actually said that I consider to be nonsense. Here are some of my favorites.

"When he putts, the ball comes off with a very soft roll".
"He is a good ball striker".
After a third round, one player said, "tomorrow, I am going to play one shot at a time".
"He has very quiet hands".
"He overcooked it".
"That's Phil being Phil".

Can anyone explain what any of these statements mean? Do you have any others?
Old 08-09-2020, 03:45 PM

This really isn’t golf gibberish, but the funniest thing I ever heard an announcer say after bad putt was; “Other than distance and direction, that was a pretty good putt.”

Last edited by MSchad; 08-09-2020 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I like to watch golf on television. I also like to collect things that the announcers and players have actually said that I consider to be nonsense. Here are some of my favorites.

"When he putts, the ball comes off with a very soft roll".
"He is a good ball striker".
After a third round, one player said, "tomorrow, I am going to play one shot at a time".
"He has very quiet hands".
"He overcooked it".
"That's Phil being Phil".

Can anyone explain what any of these statements mean? Do you have any others?
Just today on ESPN, the announcer said "later Dustin Johnson will start the day 1 shot clear of all those that are a shot back" I rewound the DVR to be sure he actually said something that stupid
Old 08-09-2020, 08:37 PM
Veteran member

Actually not gibberish at all, although somewhat idiomatic to the game of golf. Let me give it a try (others more knowledgeable jump in):

"soft roll" means the player did not hit the ball too hard and gave the putt a chance to break

"good ball striker" means the player has the ability to hit the ball and make it do what he wants: fade, draw, go the correct distance

"Play one shot at a time": it's very easy when playing golf, especially in a tournament or other competition, to let your mind get ahead of your game. Playing one shot at a time means you are concentrating on the next shot you have to hit, not on what might happen after that, or what score you need to post

"Quiet hands" refers to a players ability around the green to hit excellent chip shots and bunker shots. It refers to the need to not grasp the club too tightly, among other things

"Overcooked it" hit the ball too hard or too much in the wrong direction (such as too much fade or draw)

"Phil" Phil Mickelson is well known for hitting very creative shots that others might not attempt. So when he hits a shot that seems crazy by the standards of other players, he's just being himself.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:31 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

...let's face it - in ANY sport there's just so much 'new and different' an announcer or color commentator can come up with. I do understand the OP. comment however - and the explanation by the previous post, thx.

On a similar topic - re golf broadcast, one thing I DON'T miss is "IN THE HOLE" yelled by the gallery 72 times per tourney, plus other inane stuff.

I was fortunate to catch Phil Mickleson in the TV booth yesterday after his 3rd round ended. I REALLY enjoyed his take on the action for his 15 minutes or so. Former golf greats seem to be a wonderful fit for knowledgable and interesting commentary - PHIL would be great after his playing days are done.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Let me add another one from yesterday-----"That's the way you win tournaments, by shooting the lowest score" DOH!
Old 08-10-2020, 07:52 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

A lot of airtime to fill.
Would not want the job.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
...let's face it - in ANY sport there's just so much 'new and different' an announcer or color commentator can come up with. I do understand the OP. comment however - and the explanation by the previous post, thx.

On a similar topic - re golf broadcast, one thing I DON'T miss is "IN THE HOLE" yelled by the gallery 72 times per tourney, plus other inane stuff.

I was fortunate to catch Phil Mickleson in the TV booth yesterday after his 3rd round ended. I REALLY enjoyed his take on the action for his 15 minutes or so. Former golf greats seem to be a wonderful fit for knowledgable and interesting commentary - PHIL would be great after his playing days are done.
I sort of miss the " Baba Booey " or " Hit them with the hind " yells from the gallery after tee offs.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:27 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

I also don't miss the loud "IN THE HOLE" shout when a player tees off on a par 5.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I also don't miss the loud "IN THE HOLE" shout when a player tees off on a par 5.
I think you are a member of a very large group.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:47 PM
Veteran member
Default Funny golf announcer comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchad View Post
This really isn’t golf gibberish, but the funniest thing I ever heard an announcer say after bad putt was; “Other than distance and direction, that was a pretty good putt.”
I think one of the funniest things I have heard on a golf broadcast was during a European Tournament broadcast. One of the players was having a terrible round, bad shot after bad shot. Finally, the terribly British woman announcer commented (read with a very proper upper class British accent for full affect) "Well the thing about golf is, you always know that no matter how poorly you are playing, you can always play worse".
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, phil, ball, announcers, tomorrow

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.