golf rule change??

Old 07-21-2020, 07:51 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel 1952 View Post
You are exactly correct. Does this happen in baseball, basketball or football were a caller or tv crew can call in and penalize a player?

Apples & Oranges.

Baseball, Basketball, Football player TRY to get away with stuff. Golf is self-policing and a game of honor.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet2020 View Post
Rahm was pretty aggressively shoving the grass down behind his ball and improving his lie all day on chips out of the rough. It's legal as long as his ball doesn't move. He did finally move his ball. He's taking the chance, he should be penalized when it backfires. However, I do agree that unless someone can see it with the naked eye, you have to let it go.
I agree. When I saw him pressing down the grass behind the ball, I couldn't believe that he was being so careless. That is exactly the type of lie where this sort of thing can happen.

I don't know if the rules official was on site or watching on a monitor, but I noticed the ball move in the live broadcast. I was surprised that the announcers didn't mention it but maybe the felt that under the new rule that had best be quiet.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:38 AM

"I have no idea if Rahm was aware at the time. He was much more careful the second time he lowered his club into position."

I find it extremely hard to accept that Rahm didn't see the ball move. He may have thought it oscillated however, at that point he should have called in a rules official.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:46 AM

"I have no idea if Rahm was aware at the time. He was much more careful the second time he lowered his club into position."

I find it extremely hard to accept that Rahm didn't see the ball move. He may have thought it oscillated however, at that point he should have called in a rules official.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

A caddy on the tour once revealed that some golfers, when they have a bad lie, will ask the caddy for a No. 3 wood, with no intention to use it. They just want to place the club behind the ball and push down the grass to improve their lie. Then, they will switch clubs to make the shot.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:10 PM
Location: We live in Conroe, Tx, 30 miles north of Houston, Tx.

I thought that was a bogus call. It look to me that it could of been on the verge of settling on its own since the grass was to freaking high and thick.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

I have played with retired professions and active professionals in several sports. I can say with certainty, that all professionals know where the grey areas are in the rules. Do some push the limits? yes, do some cheat, yes, which is why there are rules officials, referees, umpires, and judges. But not everyone cheats. Phil Nickleson stopped a moving putt in the most egregious and flagrant cheating attempt in golf in the US Open on Long Island. In soccer, the old saying is you had to be ahead by two goals to be comfortable, one for the opponent, and one for the referee. In golf, its one shot for the opponent and two shots for the rules officials. And just remember, a golf ball oscillating doesn't matter on amateur day unless there is money or a trophy on the line.

sportsguy

Old 07-22-2020, 06:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
I have played with retired professions and active professionals in several sports. I can say with certainty, that all professionals know where the grey areas are in the rules. Do some push the limits? yes, do some cheat, yes, which is why there are rules officials, referees, umpires, and judges. But not everyone cheats. Phil Nickleson stopped a moving putt in the most egregious and flagrant cheating attempt in golf in the US Open on Long Island. In soccer, the old saying is you had to be ahead by two goals to be comfortable, one for the opponent, and one for the referee. In golf, its one shot for the opponent and two shots for the rules officials. And just remember, a golf ball oscillating doesn't matter on amateur day unless there is money or a trophy on the line.

sportsguy

I don't consider what Phil Mickelson did as cheating... yes he broke a rule but it was very blatant and done out of frustration he didn't try to hide it... now patrick reed in the bunker swiping away sand 3 times in his practice back swings with his club, I believe he cheated..

Old 07-22-2020, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
I don't consider what Phil Mickelson did as cheating... yes he broke a rule but it was very blatant and done out of frustration he didn't try to hide it... now patrick reed in the bunker swiping away sand 3 times in his practice back swings with his club, I believe he cheated..
I agree. Phil was trying to make a statement and called the penalty on himself.

Reed's continuous denial, even after seeing the video evidence has lowered my opinion of him.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I agree. Phil was trying to make a statement and called the penalty on himself.

Reed's continuous denial, even after seeing the video evidence has lowered my opinion of him.
I have the same feeling about Lexi Thompson in the 2017 ANA tournament. She was given a 4 stroke penalty for moving the ball on the green when a viewer called in to report it. But, a rule change prevented her from being disqualified from the tournament. I guess, under the new rule, she wouldn't have even been penalized. Why mark the ball from the side other than to move it? She didn't even clean it. Here is a video.

Lexi Thompson 2017 4-stroke penalty - YouTube

Old 07-22-2020, 09:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

Reed, Lexi, etc is the reason why there are referees, judges, umpires, etc. As a former soccer referee, intent is a judgement about a player's motivation. Really doesn't matter, did a rules infraction occur, referees, judges, umpires are there for a purpose. Golf is the only sport i know of where the player has a responsibility for infractions, but there are still rules officials so really doesn't matter if a player didn't call it on himself. Also doesn't matter if the participant thinks it was a foul or not, official calls it, its a penalty, flag, stroke, whatever, and the player lives with it. Different points of view as always.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:46 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have the same feeling about Lexi Thompson in the 2017 ANA tournament. She was given a 4 stroke penalty for moving the ball on the green when a viewer called in to report it. But, a rule change prevented her from being disqualified from the tournament. I guess, under the new rule, she wouldn't have even been penalized. Why mark the ball from the side other than to move it? She didn't even clean it. Here is a video.

Lexi Thompson 2017 4-stroke penalty - YouTube
Lexi was my favorite women's player prior to this incident, but other than to move the ball over (away from a spike or other mark?), without even cleaning it, for a one foot putt, can't help but make me think that she knew what she was doing and did it on purpose.

Tags
rule, thought, golf, slo-mo, replays

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.