golf rule change??

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2020, 11:38 AM
Veteran member
Default golf rule change??

I thought a while back that an infraction was given to a golfer because someone called it in and then the announcers kept talking about it... I then thought that the rule was changed so that the player or players in the group had to see it there self and no more slo-mo replays?? like what happened with Jon Rahm yesterday
Old 07-20-2020, 11:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

I don't know what the rules are regarding infractions on television. My opinion is, no golfer should be penalized by anything shown or discussed during a broadcast. Not all golf shots are shown by all golfers, and certainly close ups and slow motion replays are reserved for the leaders. If the tournament officials are really concerned with fairness and accuracy, I suggest they review third round footage of Tony Final who did the exact same thing as Rahm, but conveniently wasn't noticed by the television crew. Under the same "rules", Finau should have been penalized, then disqualified for signing an incorrect score card. I say leave these matters up to the players and the official with each group.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

I watched the broadcast. The TV announcers did not initially notice the ball movement. Apparently some official was watching and saw the movement. They then notified the announcers that the situation was being reviewed. Don't blame the announcers.

The rule is IMO foolish. But you have all kinds of golf rules that depend on the golfer self reporting. I understand why the PGA saw the movement as a violation of its very picky rule. I have no idea if Rahm was aware at the time. He was much more careful the second time he lowered his club into position.

My recollection is that violations will not be taken from viewers who see things on TV. This violation was from a golf official who saw it. I do wonder if the same penalty would have been imposed if it would have changed the outcome of the event.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:56 PM
Gold member

The rule says the infraction must be able to be seen by the “Naked Eye”. Watching the close-up of Rahm’s ball movement, was not that any human naked eye that could have seen the infraction, unless that person had the eyes of a bald eagle.Yes technology showed the infraction, but certainly not visible to the naked eye. The other major issue I have is rules are in place to “Protect the Field”, but in reality do not protect the entire field. When TV coverage is limited to mostly the tournament leaders and covers only a small percentage of potential infractions then the field is being unfairly compromised. With the big $$$$$, FED EX standings, and rankings (world and others), riding on every shot made, fairly protecting the entire field is necessary and not being accomplished at this time on the PGA Tour.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I watched the broadcast. The TV announcers did not initially notice the ball movement. Apparently some official was watching and saw the movement. They then notified the announcers that the situation was being reviewed. Don't blame the announcers.

The rule is IMO foolish. But you have all kinds of golf rules that depend on the golfer self reporting. I understand why the PGA saw the movement as a violation of its very picky rule. I have no idea if Rahm was aware at the time. He was much more careful the second time he lowered his club into position.

My recollection is that violations will not be taken from viewers who see things on TV. This violation was from a golf official who saw it. I do wonder if the same penalty would have been imposed if it would have changed the outcome of the event.

I just re-watched the broadcast and there was NO rules official near him the only people near the green were both golfers, caddies, and TV workers ... there were 2 people who may have been officials 1 sitting 30 yds away on his cart and the other way over on the other side of the bunker, his caddie was about 10" away and the ball was so deep in the rough that unless you were standing directly over it would be impossible to see...
Old 07-20-2020, 09:11 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
I just re-watched the broadcast and there was NO rules official near him the only people near the green were both golfers, caddies, and TV workers ... there were 2 people who may have been officials 1 sitting 30 yds away on his cart and the other way over on the other side of the bunker, his caddie was about 10" away and the ball was so deep in the rough that unless you were standing directly over it would be impossible to see...
I believe the rules official was watching a replay on a monitor, not close enough to Rahm to see him address the ball, when they noticed it and investigated further. This is a tough one, because once it has been seen it can't be unseen. At the same time, not everyone has the same attention on them and so that's why calling our own fouls is necessary and what makes the game so great. I just really hope that Rahm didn't notice the ball had moved, but chose not to call the penalty on himself. Things like that will forever follow you, just ask Vijay Singh.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:03 PM

Rahm was pretty aggressively shoving the grass down behind his ball and improving his lie all day on chips out of the rough. It's legal as long as his ball doesn't move. He did finally move his ball. He's taking the chance, he should be penalized when it backfires. However, I do agree that unless someone can see it with the naked eye, you have to let it go.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:36 AM

Brings to mind one of the closing scenes in ****** Vance, where Juna calls this same penalty on himself. If it ocellated no penalty, if “different” a penalty.
As to tamping the grass down, it is a penalty if you improve your swing line in front or behind the ball. Out of a hazard you may lightly ground the club at address.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:40 AM

Stupid rules and obnoxious officials are one of the factors that keep people from taking up golf.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet2020 View Post
Rahm was pretty aggressively shoving the grass down behind his ball and improving his lie all day on chips out of the rough. It's legal as long as his ball doesn't move. He did finally move his ball. He's taking the chance, he should be penalized when it backfires. However, I do agree that unless someone can see it with the naked eye, you have to let it go.

I agree... but i thought that they had changed the rule that a penalty would not be imposed if not caught with the naked eye??
apparently not?
Old 07-21-2020, 06:25 AM
Default Completely agree with you on this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I don't know what the rules are regarding infractions on television. My opinion is, no golfer should be penalized by anything shown or discussed during a broadcast. Not all golf shots are shown by all golfers, and certainly close ups and slow motion replays are reserved for the leaders. If the tournament officials are really concerned with fairness and accuracy, I suggest they review third round footage of Tony Final who did the exact same thing as Rahm, but conveniently wasn't noticed by the television crew. Under the same "rules", Finau should have been penalized, then disqualified for signing an incorrect score card. I say leave these matters up to the players and the official with each group.
You are exactly correct. Does this happen in baseball, basketball or football were a caller or tv crew can call in and penalize a player?
Old 07-21-2020, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post

If an official saw the movement with his naked eye and then reported it to the PGA Tour staff, that would explain the ruling.

The new rules basically state that the violation has to be observed in person without the assistance of a high def camera.

Once the on site official reports it, then the Tour would be following the rule to use video footage to check on it.

For what it's worth, I noticed it on the live broadcast and wondered what might come of it.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:29 AM

In fact the cameraman captured but it was Nick Faldo one of the announcers was the one who pointed it out.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:43 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,773 Times in 3,641 Posts

Nothing new..........Craig Stadler 30 years ago.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel 1952 View Post
You are exactly correct. Does this happen in baseball, basketball or football were a caller or tv crew can call in and penalize a player?
No, but I think that all fans in the football stadium should be required to be perfectly quiet while a play is being run.
Closed Thread

Tags
rule, thought, golf, slo-mo, replays

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.