Just wondering why Villages doesn't host PGA or LPGA event?

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2015, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts
Default Just wondering why Villages doesn't host PGA or LPGA event?

Maybe I should be careful what I "ask"? I know we have had Senior LPGA event.. Having our courses lined with homes a reason? Just wondering! The last LPGA Coates event was an overwhelming success because of Village participation, why not have an event here!
Old 02-01-2015, 07:33 AM
Veteran member

it's all about $$$$$$ when they had the senior ladies event here there was no way to control the viewers.....unlike Ocala where you only had 1 entrance to enter and purchase tickets here probably 80% or more were just villagers who walked and drove up on the golf carts and watched for free
Old 02-05-2015, 10:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
it's all about $$$$$$ when they had the senior ladies event here there was no way to control the viewers.....unlike Ocala where you only had 1 entrance to enter and purchase tickets here probably 80% or more were just villagers who walked and drove up on the golf carts and watched for free
When Nancy Lopez was here last year, she told me they were never given a reason why the Senior LPGA event did not return here.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:34 AM

Would you want the course closed for a few weeks or longer so that it can be groomed to prime condition for the tournament? I don't think most village golfers would approve of the closure.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

It's usually about sponsorship and the size of the market. What I find strange about this are is that although The Villages is the largest population center between Ocala and Leesburg, Ocala seems to be where businesses choose to locate. I don't know if it's the fact that many businesses don't realize that The Villages is larger than Ocala and Leesburg combined or if it's because I-75 runs right through Ocala.
Ocala just hosted an LPGA event. The senior LPGA doesn't draw galleries, although with the demographics of TV they might. They had an event in Boston and I believe that tickets were free. They raised a lot of money for charity through sponsorship.

Do they still exist?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Be careful what you wish for. Lots of implications over many weeks.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:03 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Be careful what you wish for. Lots of implications over many weeks.
Amen, plus not enough room for hospitality tents.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
It's usually about sponsorship and the size of the market. What I find strange about this are is that although The Villages is the largest population center between Ocala and Leesburg, Ocala seems to be where businesses choose to locate. I don't know if it's the fact that many businesses don't realize that The Villages is larger than Ocala and Leesburg combined or if it's because I-75 runs right through Ocala.
Ocala just hosted an LPGA event. The senior LPGA doesn't draw galleries, although with the demographics of TV they might. They had an event in Boston and I believe that tickets were free. They raised a lot of money for charity through sponsorship.

Do they still exist?
I think the biggest reason businesses don't locate in the Villages is because of the rather homogenous demographic... Just not enough families to support most businesses...

Just my thoughts
Old 02-06-2015, 11:42 AM
Sage

Multiple reasons why an LPGA event probably won't happen here. Course closure (as already stated), parking for a large multi-day crowd, lack of high end hotels for players, sponsors, officials, etc. just to name a few.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBarracks View Post
Would you want the course closed for a few weeks or longer so that it can be groomed to prime condition for the tournament? I don't think most village golfers would approve of the closure.
Uhh! We do have twelve here you know!
Old 02-06-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Multiple reasons why an LPGA event probably won't happen here. Course closure (as already stated), parking for a large multi-day crowd, lack of high end hotels for players, sponsors, officials, etc. just to name a few.
Etc, etc, etc!
Old 02-06-2015, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
I think the biggest reason businesses don't locate in the Villages is because of the rather homogenous demographic... Just not enough families to support most businesses...

Just my thoughts
I agree. It's that in addition to the fact that we're not really near a major highway. Costco and the big box stores want to be near an interstate on/off ramp. Even the big chain stores that we have here and small in comparison to the same stores in other location. We just went to Sam's Club in Ocala a few days ago and I was surprised to see how much bigger it is than the one here. We ended up going there because they had an item that they didn't have at the Lady Lake Sam's.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:29 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I believe memason has captured the main reason. We all have differing views and in mine it The Villages does not seem to operate like a city nor does it feel like a city. The Villages seems more like a Hollywood stage set. I mean I expect that some big wind is going to come along and blow over all the plywood and we are going to find ourselves in gigantic empty field. Hmmm maybe there is a viable science fiction book in that thought. Need to explore it more
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.