Last Year at Firestone

Closed Thread
Old 08-05-2018, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Last Year at Firestone

I don't like what the PGA Tour has been doing over the past several years.

It seems that they are ending their contracts with many of the old storied courses in order to bring more tournaments to the TPC courses that they own. In some cases, the tour or TPC has bought some of the old courses like The Greenbriar and re-branded it with the TPC moniker.

Now, they won't be playing Firestone again. They're moving the WGC event to the TPC course in Memphis.

The TPC courses all have the same look and most have very little history. I love it when the tour goes to the courses that I've been watching for over 50 years. I expect we'll soon see the last tournaments at Pebble Beach, Riviera, Harbor Town and Bay Hill unless the owners of those courses decide to sell them to the PGA Tour.

I don't blame the tour for wanting to control everything and be as profitable as possible, but they should have some concern for the history and traditions of the game.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Money sometimes keeps things afloat I say, realistically.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

PGA Tour to move WGC-Bridgestone Invitational to Memphis

Quote:
Bridgestone’s CEO cited the cost of sponsorship as the reason the company could no longer sponsor the event. PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan declared that without Bridgestone, little could be done to keep the tournament in Northeast Ohio.

Facts matter.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:54 PM
Veteran member
Default Last year

Even worse, many of the TPC layouts can't compare with the classic courses the PGA is leaving, and the pros don't like them.

Boogie, are you sure about Greenbrier? Greenbrier resort has five courses on the property. The PGA plays Old White. Did they buy that one? It's a piece of history.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

I am watching the Bridgestone, and the course is just plain boring. Most of the holes are straight with no water hazards or other challenges for the players. I think most people want to watch golf on a more interesting course, and a lot of people think golf is boring to watch anyway. I don't know if that has any effect on where tournaments are played.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I am watching the Bridgestone, and the course is just plain boring...
I’m guessing you haven’t played Firestone.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

No, I haven't, but I like to watch golf on TV. And, this tournament is nowhere near as interesting to watch as The Players Championship or The Masters.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Sorry to see it going to Memphis, but FedEx is probably envoking the "golden rule"; those with the gold make the rules.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
...this tournament is nowhere near as interesting to watch as The Players Championship or The Masters.
No argument there. But for me it’s not a knock on Firestone.

I mean after all...we’re talking about the Masters here!! 🤓 No other tournament is as interesting to watch!!
Old 08-10-2018, 04:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Even worse, many of the TPC layouts can't compare with the classic courses the PGA is leaving, and the pros don't like them.

Boogie, are you sure about Greenbrier? Greenbrier resort has five courses on the property. The PGA plays Old White. Did they buy that one? It's a piece of history.
I'm not sure, but I recall it being called the TPC Greenbriar.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
No, I haven't, but I like to watch golf on TV. And, this tournament is nowhere near as interesting to watch as The Players Championship or The Masters.
I certainly agree about Augusta National and TPC Sawgrass. The problem with Firestone is not the golf course but the fact that the ball is going so far these days. Watching tournaments on that course for the past 50 years it was always great to see the best in the world struggle on a course that was so long. The 16th hole has always been untouchable, but now players go at it on a regular basis.

I've been thinking that the PGA Championship at Bellerive is a major mistake. It is a boring course. There is just nothing exciting about it. The fairways are too wide and the greens are too big. In addition, it sounds like the greens are in terrible condition. Tne under is leading after two rounds. It just feels like another weekly tour event in spite of the announcers constantly pumping it up.

I would like to see the PGA do something to make this championship unique and special. It just doesn't have the feel of a major and to play it on a boring golf course makes it even worse.

Maybe they should go back to match play or play it on a PGA owned course. Maybe bring it Florida permanently so that it has it's own feel and look. Or bring it to someplace like ITT Golf Club in Massachusetts, the longest golf course in the world.

The other three majors have their own unique characteristics. The Masters is obviously played on that great course every year. We get to know all the holes and we have seen how many different things can happen on that back nine on Sunday.

The US Open usually has narrow fairways, long rough and firm fast greens.

The Open Championship is unique because of the great rota of links courses.

But the PGA has no defining feature. I think that it's to the point where a lot of players feel that The Players Championship is more important than the PGA.

I don't have an answer, but they really need to do something to keep people glued to the televisions.

Closed Thread

Tags
courses, tour, tpc, pga, tournaments

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.