Lexi Thompson Assessed 4 Stroke Penalty, Loses Championship in Playoff!

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2017, 12:01 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I would hope the proper authorities would investigate credible complaints of possible violations but I still don't think the sport should have input from armchair referees.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Many of the arguments here miss the big point. It is almost statistically impossible to replace a round ball on exactly the same spot from which it was removed. That being the case , how far is allowable? The only way to fully eliminate the issue is to not allow any touching of the ball once it has been put in play off the tee. without a penalty stroke or so.
In general, you are correct, but, in this particular case, the violation is very clear. Watch the video.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:07 PM
Sage

Phil Mickelson, in an attempt to defend Lexi Thompson, said that he knows guys on the tour who are loose with marking their ball, and who intentionally move the ball out of an impression or closer to the hole to gain an advantage. Also, Jack Nicklaus made similar comments, and said that it was handled in the locker room in his playing days. He also said that he didn't think she did it on purpose, but went on to give a detailed explanation about how cheating was handled when he played golf. If these guys think they are doing Lexi Thompson a favor, they need to think again. They made a good living playing golf, but would never make it as defense attorneys.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 04-05-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
In general, you are correct, but, in this particular case, the violation is very clear. Watch the video.
Did-- point is since no one can replace exactly, what is the allowable margin. ???
Old 04-05-2017, 03:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Did-- point is since no one can replace exactly, what is the allowable margin. ???
In the rules, there is no allowable margin. But, having played competitive golf, this was not a proper marking and replacing of the ball. So far, I haven't heard any professional golfer or rules expert claim that it was. The best that they have said is that she made a mistake. To her credit, even she didn't claim that it was proper.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I watched the broadcast on Sunday when the ruling was made and they replayed the events of the day before. The emailer said he noticed that when Lexi marked her ball the coin was not visible, but when she replaced the ball the coin was visible.

For those who play golf, you know sometimes you'll mark your ball at an angle to keep the coin or marker out of another players line, such as Lexi was probably doing this time. The marker was placed at angle away from the camera, thus hiding the coin. When she placed the ball back, she put it directly in front of the coin, so the coin and the ball were both visible at the same time. The total distance was probably 1" at the most, more likely 1/2" she gained by placing her ball back incorrectly, all of this is about a putt of about 1 foot. In our games, it's what we call a gimme.

If they want a rules change, don't penalize a player 2 strokes for signing an incorrect score card. Because when they signed the card, it wasn't incorrect, that didn't happen until a day later when she was assessed the 2 shot penalty.

Had this happen last year, she wouldn't of even been playing on day 4. The old rule was if you signed an incorrect score card, you are disqualified completely. Booted, kicked out of the tournament. She actually came out ahead, in the eyes of some people.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I watched the broadcast on Sunday when the ruling was made and they replayed the events of the day before. The emailer said he noticed that when Lexi marked her ball the coin was not visible, but when she replaced the ball the coin was visible.

For those who play golf, you know sometimes you'll mark your ball at an angle to keep the coin or marker out of another players line, such as Lexi was probably doing this time. The marker was placed at angle away from the camera, thus hiding the coin. When she placed the ball back, she put it directly in front of the coin, so the coin and the ball were both visible at the same time. The total distance was probably 1" at the most, more likely 1/2" she gained by placing her ball back incorrectly, all of this is about a putt of about 1 foot. In our games, it's what we call a gimme.

If they want a rules change, don't penalize a player 2 strokes for signing an incorrect score card. Because when they signed the card, it wasn't incorrect, that didn't happen until a day later when she was assessed the 2 shot penalty.

Had this happen last year, she wouldn't of even been playing on day 4. The old rule was if you signed an incorrect score card, you are disqualified completely. Booted, kicked out of the tournament. She actually came out ahead, in the eyes of some people.
Ok, what you described is a 2 stroke penalty because she did not replace the ball in the exact spot, according to the rules of golf. I have seen a lot of good golfers miss very short putts, especially if the ball is in a spike mark. That is why there is no such thing as a gimme in pro golf. Did you see Ernie Els on the first hole of last year's Masters? If you don't penalize a golfer for signing an incorrect score card, you may as well not have them sign it at all. Why do we want to downgrade golf to the level of other sports where anything goes as long as the referee doesn't see it?
Old 04-05-2017, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Ok, what you described is a 2 stroke penalty because she did not replace the ball in the exact spot, according to the rules of golf. I have seen a lot of good golfers miss very short putts, especially if the ball is in a spike mark. That is why there is no such thing as a gimme in pro golf. Did you see Ernie Els on the first hole of last year's Masters? If you don't penalize a golfer for signing an incorrect score card, you may as well not have them sign it at all. Why do we want to downgrade golf to the level of other sports where anything goes as long as the referee doesn't see it?
Retired guy, take a breath, I said "in our game", you know the game we play here in TV. I didn't say the PGA should hand out gimmes. What Ernie Els did last year was a once in a career type event. Lexi's score card wasn't incorrect until the next day when she was assessed a penalty, I think they are incorrect in adding an additional penalty of top of the original penalty. If she didn't realize that she had marked the ball a 1/2" different, how can she penalize herself. If she had realized the fact, then she would of probably put the ball where it was originally 1/2" different. If a ball is in a spike mark, then mark your ball, remark the coin laterally, fix the spike mark, then move the coin back. Did you ever see anyone putt out of their own pitchmark? No.

Basically this is what happened. If the hole is at the 3 O'clock position, the marker is slightly off angle. When placing the ball back on the putting surface in front of the marker, would probably shorten the 12" putt by 1/4" to 1/2" inch.

The Villages Florida
Old 04-05-2017, 06:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Retired guy, take a breath, I said "in our game", you know the game we play here in TV. I didn't say the PGA should hand out gimmes. What Ernie Els did last year was a once in a career type event. Lexi's score card wasn't incorrect until the next day when she was assessed a penalty, I think they are incorrect in adding an additional penalty of top of the original penalty. If she didn't realize that she had marked the ball a 1/2" different, how can she penalize herself. If she had realized the fact, then she would of probably put the ball where it was originally 1/2" different. If a ball is in a spike mark, then mark your ball, remark the coin laterally, fix the spike mark, then move the coin back. Did you ever see anyone putt out of their own pitchmark? No.

Basically this is what happened. If the hole is at the 3 O'clock position, the marker is slightly off angle. When placing the ball back on the putting surface in front of the marker, would probably shorten the 12" putt by 1/4" to 1/2" inch.

The Villages Florida
Ok, I'll take a breath. I understand and can agree with your position about the penalty for the scorecard. But, you are not allowed to repair spike marks, only ball marks. If your ball is in a spike mark, you are required to putt it from that spike mark, which can cause you to miss a short putt. If you read Phil Mickelson's comments, there are pro golfers who deliberately move their ball out of spike marks by improperly marking and replacing their ball. When I look at the video, it appears to me that the ball was in a spike mark before it was marked, but not when it was replaced. But, even if it wasn't, it is still a 2 stroke penalty. Now, I will take a breath and have a drink.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 04-05-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:51 PM
Sage

I have no problem with the penalty for playing from the wrong place. My beef is with the timing. I understand the committee is in a tough spot, i.e., they can't ignore a violation so a call-in or email can't be dismissed. However, like the requirement to file a claim or having to correct an error before teeing off on the next hole, there should be a cutoff point after which the round is official. That could be the start of the next round, or the publishing of pairings for the next round. Any violations brought to the committee after that do not change the scores. The player should be informed and warned. And monitored.

Consider that this player entered the last round of a major believing she had the lead and planned a strategy commensurate with that position. Fellow competitors, trailing, developed a strategy to make up the difference which may have involved more risky play. Consider that risky play may result in errors taking the player out of contention. Then, 2/3 through the round, it's all turned around. Player behind is now in the lead and vice versa. To me, the competition has been adulterated.

With what I suggest, both players enter the final round knowing exactly where they stand and can plan accordingly. And outside input is still considered albeit with a time limit.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
I do see a small hole or mark on the video. But, what is really interesting on the video is that she picks up the ball and immediately replaces it without cleaning it or lining up the ball markings with the hole. These are the typical reasons why a player will mark the ball in the first place. So, it begs the question, why did she even mark the ball if she were not trying to improve her lie?
Trying to figure out a reasonable explanation of why she picked it up from the side (instead of from behind where she could accurately 'line it up'), then didn't clean it and clearly set it right back down immediately, closer to her...is what I'm struggling with also.

I really like Lexi and have been a huge fan of hers, but watching the video more than 20 times I can't help but conclude...that she was trying to avoid something she saw in her original line.

I really don't want to believe she was trying to cheat...but her actions were pretty strange in that instance.

As to calling the penalty so late, something definitely needs to be done...I'm just not sure what.

Since not all golfers have cameras trained on their every move/shot...it is not really a level playing field in situations like this.

The only good news is that at least she wasn't totally disqualified for signing an incorrect scorecard...since that rule was changed in 2016.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:52 AM
Veteran member

Reading these comments and all the drama associated with " Lexi Gate " I am so Happy that I do not play golf.

It won't surprise me one bit that a collection will start any day now for a " Lexi Memorial Plaque "...in her Adoring Honor....sniffle....sniffle.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I feel really bad about what happened to Lexi Thompson, but I don't believe that the tournament committee had any option other then to do what they did. All players and all penalties must be treat equally in order to protect the field. Once a player is allowed to replace a ball an eighth of an inch out of position then a player will claim that a half inch out is only a bit more. At what point do they declare it to be a penalty.

I hope that Lexi gets over this because it could really damage her career if she allows it to affect her.

One thing that she could do is to make light of it and capitalize on a great marketing opportunity. She should license and sell the Lexi Thompson official ball marker. She'd make a bit of money and maybe help herself through this tough time.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:16 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Marketing her marker a "cool" idea. However, I doubt she needs the money but anything to take her mind off of what happen,

Tags
lexi, penalty, thompson, received, stroke

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.