Lexi Thompson Assessed 4 Stroke Penalty, Loses Championship in Playoff!

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2017, 09:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,681 Times in 5,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I respectfully disagree. First of all, golf is very popular. The difference with golf and team sports is that the players don't represent a city or region so most spectators, although they might like a particular player, really don't have a dog in the hunt.

I firmly believe that if So Yeon Ryu had a four stroke lead with a few holes remaining and was assessed a four stroke penalty because of an incident that occurred the day before there would still be plenty of discussion about it.
Isn't that speculation, without any evidence?

Last edited by retiredguy123; 04-03-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:22 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Bad for game. Time to stop viewers ability to challenge. If LPGA didn't assess by end of round, it should be over.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
Bad for game. Time to stop viewers ability to challenge. If LPGA didn't assess by end of round, it should be over.
I agree that they should put some limits on this as they are probably a lot of people looking for errors or intentional infractions by golfers while they are playing.

One inch off and she loses $150,000 according to Orlando CBS sports reporter Jamie Seh. Doubt it that was intentional.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Actually, how it was detected does not matter.

Once the officials are made aware of a violation, they have a responsibility to the rest of the field to investigate it and if there is a violation, to correctly apply the rules regardless of the source of the information.

There's a big difference between watching a television program and wire tapping. Golfers playing in a tournament are in the public domain. Reporting their actions is way different than wire tapping a private phone line. If you saw a bank being robbed and reported it to the police, would you be violating the bank robber's rights? Should the police consider that they didn't see the event themselves?

If you know that someone was cheating on their income tax and reported it to the IRS shouldn't the IRS investigate or should they do nothing because of how it was detected.?

In this particular case, under the current rules, the ruling was 100% correct. Once the officials have the information regardless of how it was obtained they must act according to the rules.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:49 AM
Gold member

How about flying "infraction drones" over each group to monitor play?? Soon they will allow robots to play on tour that are programmed to not make infractions. Possibly gps in the ball to trigger an alarm if it is not replaced in the exact same spot. Let the player, playing partners, caddies, and tournament officials officiate because the leaps in technology will continually interfere unfairly unless every player is monitored equally, so the field is protected fairly.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:04 AM
Sage

Saw an interesting, but unlikely, point of view on another board. What if the emailer was a fan of another golfer and purposely waited til the next day to send the email so that there would also be the signing incorrect scorecard penalty in addition to the wrong place penalty?

Best solution is still to keep the competition between golfers and the committee and its officials. Spectators have no business other than watching.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I do see a small hole or mark on the video. But, what is really interesting on the video is that she picks up the ball and immediately replaces it without cleaning it or lining up the ball markings with the hole. These are the typical reasons why a player will mark the ball in the first place. So, it begs the question, why did she even mark the ball if she were not trying to improve her lie?
I thought that was strange as well. But you can't assume from that that it was intentional. A lot of players will mark every time out of habit. She might have marked and then realized it was unnecessary. As has been pointed out, many players line up the brand name before they putt and she may have been doing that as well. It might have been a nervous reaction.

I need a lot more than that to call it intentional. I guess if you reviewed a lot of video of her actions on short putts and found that either she did or didn't do that a lot it might settle the question.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Saw an interesting, but unlikely, point of view on another board. What if the emailer was a fan of another golfer and purposely waited til the next day to send the email so that there would also be the signing incorrect scorecard penalty in addition to the wrong place penalty?

Best solution is still to keep the competition between golfers and the committee and its officials. Spectators have no business other than watching.
That's OK, but what about flagrant intentional violations that are reported after the fact? Should officials ignore those as well?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Isn't that speculation, without any evidence?
That's why I began my sentence with "I believe". I did not state it as fact, only what I think may have occurred.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I agree that they should put some limits on this as they are probably a lot of people looking for errors or intentional infractions by golfers while they are playing.

One inch off and she loses $150,000 according to Orlando CBS sports reporter Jamie Seh. Doubt it that was intentional.
I'm really surprised that people keep talking about the money. I can assure you that the $150,000 difference in prize money meant nothing to her compare to the prestige of winning that event and everything that goes with it.

In the long run it may have a bit to do with money because the more major championships you win, the more your name is worth in terms of endorsements in the future.

Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer made much more after their playing careers were over because of their accomplishments on the golf course. An extra $1000,000 by finishing second in a US Open back in the day meant nothing compared to the future income that wining the event might bring.

But it's more about prestige and legacy at that level.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post

It's entirely possible but are the officials supposed to ignore the information they have. What if a person in second place poisoned the leaders breakfast that morning causing her to contract food poisoning? If that's found out even weeks after the tournament, don't you think that the winner might be stripped of her title?

Of course she would probably be banned from all future competition and also see some jail time, but can the committee ignore information that is presented to them or that they learn about through factors outside of the event?

Old 04-04-2017, 01:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

I can only imagine the uproar if the same thing happens this Sunday at The Masters...
Old 04-04-2017, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,681 Times in 5,231 Posts

Quote:
That's why I began my sentence with "I believe". I did not state it as fact, only what I think may have occurred.
In your previous post, you said that she "might" have marked the ball and then realized that it was unnecessary. Isn't that the same kind of speculation that I made when I said her playing partners "may" have seen it? I think you are picking nits.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:18 AM
Gold member

Quote:
That's OK, but what about flagrant intentional violations that are reported after the fact? Should officials ignore those as well?
If it was an obvious intentionally flagrant violation then they can fine, take away the win or position they finished at, take away points (such as Fed X), or even suspend them. Many unintentional violations go by unnoticed weekly as the cameras can't be everywhere To spot and penalize after the fact is not good for golf.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Many of the arguments here miss the big point. It is almost statistically impossible to replace a round ball on exactly the same spot from which it was removed. That being the case , how far is allowable? The only way to fully eliminate the issue is to not allow any touching of the ball once it has been put in play off the tee. without a penalty stroke or so.

Tags
lexi, penalty, thompson, received, stroke

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.