Are Lydia Ko's Best Days Behind Her?

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2019, 01:02 PM
Platinum member
Default Are Lydia Ko's Best Days Behind Her?

If you compare Lydia Ko's Stats from 2014-2016 to her from 2017-2019, it does not look like the same player.

The Villages Florida

Full story:

TONY'S LPGA REPORT
Old 05-11-2019, 01:55 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Surely you jest...she's how old? She's only 22. Aren't you jumping the gun by about 15/20 years....
Old 05-12-2019, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

The problem that Lydia is going to have is that she is so short off the tee. She's always depending on her putter and when it was spectacular she could win in spite of her lack of distance. When her putting went to only very good she's had a hard time competing against women that are hitting 60-70 yards past her.

Any time a player depends too much on one part of his or her game, they might have tremendous success for a short period of time, but usually fade. I think that we're seeing the same thing on the men's side with Jordan Speith. His putting has to be far better than anyone else in order for him to win. His ball striking is mediocre. He's not as short, relative to his competition as Lydia is, but he needs his putting to be spectacular in order to win.

I do think that Lydia looks great after the weight loss. I don't know if that affected her distance or weight los, but if I were her coach, I suggest that she start spending a lot of time in the gym.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:50 AM
Gold member

In 2016 she fired both her swing coach and caddie and changed club manufacturers from Callaway to PXG. Any one of those changes could cause any pro golfer major problems. Per Wikipedia, since firing swing coach David Leadbetter who had coached her to 17 LPGA wins, 2 majors and a number 1 world ranking, she has won one golf tournament, no major golf championships, and her world ranking has dropped to 14. Tiger Woods made similar changes over his career and was able to come back, so I hope Lydia can do the same. But it's a steep hill to climb.
Closed Thread

Tags
kos, lydia, www.tonyslpgareport.com, story, full

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.