The Masters

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2019, 02:07 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Over the years I have watched as Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus both have witnessed what a great talent Tiger has been and recognized his charities. I will take their assessment of Tigers character and golf talent over the questionable opinion of a few angry old men in The Villages Florida.
Learn to Love rather than Hate.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Love him or hate him, he was the man on the day.
......and don't tell me that was not the most nailbiting, exiting, "OMG." Masters of all time.
Absolutely loved it!
Old 04-15-2019, 05:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
Over the years I have watched as Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus both have witnessed what a great talent Tiger has been and recognized his charities.

I will take their assessment of Tigers character and golf talent over the questionable opinion of a few angry old men in The Villages Florida.

Learn to Love rather than Hate.
Yep...
Old 04-15-2019, 08:04 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Physically strong, mentally tough. One great golfer!
Old 04-15-2019, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Physically strong, mentally tough. One great golfer!
Good assessment.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:18 AM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

A guy bet 85 grand on Tiger and won 1.19 million
Old 04-15-2019, 12:01 PM
Sage

One quick thing, then I'll let this thread run its course...

Lots of talk about the "haters". I know they're out there. But there are also those who simply are not Tiger fans. Yes...I consider myself one of them. Maybe it is partly because of some of his history. But whatever the reason, not all the folks who aren't Tiger fans are "haters".

Think of any top tier PGA pro. There will be folks who simply are not fans of that particular pro. Many are that way with Tiger. But they don't hate him. I feel like some of you on this and other threads react to any sort of not-Tiger-fan post like the poster is a "hater". It's almost like you 'hate' the poster.

My two cents.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
The "field" beat themselves like always.
Steve
And many times that's how you win a major. You don't beat yourself while everyone else makes mistakes. To me, the best shot he hit was the nine iron on twelve to the middle of the green. Had Molinari hit that same shoe, he might have won the tournament.

It reminds me of when Sergio went at the flag on 17 in the Players a few years ago. It was one of the dumbest shots I've ever seen. All he had to do was to hit it in the middle of the green and make par and win the tournament. Even bogey gave him a chance.

Mickelson on the eighteenth hole at Winged Foot in The US Open was also an example of an incredibly stupid shot as was his miraculous shot on #13 from the trees at the Masters a few years ago. In that case, he pulled off the shot and won the tournament, but it was an unnecessary risk and could have cost him the tournament.

Tiger doesn't make mistakes like that, neither is Jack. That is why they won so many majors. That's really what separates them from all of their competition.

Other players hit it better than Tiger did yesterday. Other players hit ore greens, other players made more putts. All that is important but not as important was what Tiger did. He made the fewest mistakes.

In the end, the person that takes the fewest number of shots wins the tournaments. Tiger took the fewest mistakes and took the fewest number of shots.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:05 PM
Sage

Tiger's greatest advantage has never been his prodigious length, shot-making with irons, short game skills or his putting.

Nope, it's always been his...superior mental strength.

And at the age of 43, with all of the personal and physical issues he's been through...I posit that he may even be mentally stronger than ever.

While he doesn't completely intimidate other golfers physically the way he used to, there's a whole bunch of 'young guns,' who have more physical ability than he does now that are finally catching a glimpse...of what it must have been like to go up against him in his prime.

Just the number of the best players in the world that hung around to congratulate him, before he went in to sign his card...speaks volumes of the respect he still commands.

So for those who dislike so much the attention given him, and of whom a lot are probably jealous of his superior mental strength, I suggest that maybe for a while (like 5+ more years? lol)...you find another sport to watch.

Because it's gonna be a long time, and you're going to be really unhappy, before that deserved attention...ever relents.

Another thought just struck me.

He's now the only one who has a chance this year, at the admittedly almost impossible to attain...'Calendar Year Grand Slam.'
Old 04-15-2019, 04:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
One quick thing, then I'll let this thread run its course...

Lots of talk about the "haters". I know they're out there. But there are also those who simply are not Tiger fans. Yes...I consider myself one of them. Maybe it is partly because of some of his history. But whatever the reason, not all the folks who aren't Tiger fans are "haters".

Think of any top tier PGA pro. There will be folks who simply are not fans of that particular pro. Many are that way with Tiger. But they don't hate him. I feel like some of you on this and other threads react to any sort of not-Tiger-fan post like the poster is a "hater". It's almost like you 'hate' the poster.

My two cents.
I don't disagree however, not being a fan is one thing, taking personal shots at the guy or not recognizing his talent or giving credit for his win to his competition's inadequacies is another. To me, those are haters. There are many sports stars I don't embrace, but I do recognize their talents and appreciate what they contribute to their sport.

Berks County Pennsylvania

Last edited by JoMar; 04-15-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:28 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Not liking a professional athlete is one thing but not appreciating the talent, trying to denigrate a win, rejoicing when that athlete is in pain is another. I always rooted for Lance Armstrong to lose but always congratulated his wins to his fans.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-16-2019, 12:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Not liking a professional athlete is one thing but not appreciating the talent, trying to denigrate a win, rejoicing when that athlete is in pain is another. I always rooted for Lance Armstrong to lose but always congratulated his wins to his fans.
Excellent post and points...as usual.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:40 PM
Sage

Here's an interesting opinion piece, on the current state and possible future...of the game so many of us love.

I really hope...the prediction is wrong.

Future of Golf. (poke here)
Quote:

For Matt Powell, VP and senior industry adviser at The NPD Group Inc., a monumental moment for a golf legend does not an industrywide rebound make.

“There are a lot of systemic headwinds for golf that are just not going away — in particular: Millennials are not picking up the game as quickly as Boomers are aging out of it,” explained Powell. “The game needs young people to be playing it to reverse its fortunes. I don’t think a 43-year-old guy winning a golf tournament is going to inspire young people to get out and pick up the game.’

Despite the inspiring message, Poser and Powell are both doubtful that Woods’ win will significantly resonate with teen males — the cohort on whom the future of the sport largely rests.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

See, they even look to Tiger to attract "teen males." Tiger is old enough to be a teen male's father, not a peer. If they want to attract teen males, they need to look closer to teen males' ages. Like Xander Schauffele, who is only 25 years old. Why doesn't his contribution and excellent show at the Masters Tournament not count? Why does the future of golf rest largely on a middle-aged man, when there are many younger men already carrying the game?

I think the media does the sport a HUGE disservice by focusing on a single player to rest the entire future of the sport on. No matter how good Tiger is, he is not the beginning nor the end of golf. They need to branch out and share the spotlight with some of the other fine players, in particular the younger ones, if they intend to use the media to attract new blood to the game.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
See, they even look to Tiger to attract "teen males." Tiger is old enough to be a teen male's father, not a peer. If they want to attract teen males, they need to look closer to teen males' ages. Like Xander Schauffele, who is only 25 years old. Why doesn't his contribution and excellent show at the Masters Tournament not count? Why does the future of golf rest largely on a middle-aged man, when there are many younger men already carrying the game?

I think the media does the sport a HUGE disservice by focusing on a single player to rest the entire future of the sport on. No matter how good Tiger is, he is not the beginning nor the end of golf. They need to branch out and share the spotlight with some of the other fine players, in particular the younger ones, if they intend to use the media to attract new blood to the game.
The loss of new players isn't new....and has been occurring during the years that Tiger wasn't at the top of the page, when the younger players (who entered the game watching Tiger, have a huge amount of respect for him and owe all the big purses they play for these days too him) were winning the majors. The players you think are important to the game....well, really haven't and aren't going to attract younger players. Attendance and TV ratings go up when Tiger plays (even when he was hurt), just as they did when Palmer and Nicklaus played. We want to watch the best in one of the few individual sports games (tennis and bowling included) and we choose who we believe that is. Based on attendance and TV ratings, there are many like us who choose Tiger and the media knows that and gives the majority what they are looking for. That doesn't mean we don't appreciate Xander Schauffele, DeChambeau, Koepka and many others, but they don't come close to bringing out emotion in spectators that Tiger does. Even today, when Nicklaus hits a lousy ceremonial tee shot, he brings out emotion and a desire for golfers (even your guys) to see him and watch.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
weather, masters, potential, major, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.