Old 12-22-2022, 10:13 AM

DILLIGAS.....I get it
Old 12-22-2022, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
Friendly reminder-

The PGA is a not for profit tax exempt organization that doesn't pay a dime in taxes yet they hand out billions to multi-millionaires who hit a little white ball.

It's the biggest scam going.
Unlike the multi-millionaires who get paid to throw a ball through a hoop, or hit a ball over a fence, or run a ball over a goal line, or worse yet pump out ghetto rap?
Old 12-22-2022, 10:26 PM
Veteran member

NBA was never tax-exempt and MLB gave up it's tax exemption in 2007 and the NFL gave up its tax exemption in 2015.

It's time the multi-billion dollar moral high ground PGA gave up their tax exemption.
Old 12-23-2022, 06:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
NBA was never tax-exempt and MLB gave up it's tax exemption in 2007 and the NFL gave up its tax exemption in 2015.

It's time the multi-billion dollar moral high ground PGA gave up their tax exemption.
So, the question is whether the PGA makes a taxable profit????? Unless we hear from their accountant, none of us knows. Remember, all those "billions" are won by players who pay tax. The rest is given to charity or covers administrative costs. There are no shareholders and no team owners like those other leagues.
Old 12-23-2022, 06:57 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Good for Augusta. I personally want to see ALL of the best players in the world at The Masters (and the other 3 majors) - regardless of which tour they call home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
That was a no brainer.

The test will come the next year, when LIV Players don't have high enough OWGR Ranking to Qualify.
Since The Masters is an 'invitational,' they don't have to abide by the OWGR and I predict that some LIV players (especially previous champions) will continue to be invited for years to come...even if LIV is still around.
Old 12-23-2022, 08:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,032 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
So, the question is whether the PGA makes a taxable profit????? Unless we hear from their accountant, none of us knows. Remember, all those "billions" are won by players who pay tax. The rest is given to charity or covers administrative costs. There are no shareholders and no team owners like those other leagues.
The PGA Tour had slightly more than a Billion Dollars "in reserve" at the start of this year. The current number sits at over $800,000,000.

"The rest is given to charity or to cover administrative costs"? The Commissioner (who's obviously way over his head) is paid $9,000,000/year. How many "non-profits" pay someone close to $10M to run the place?

As PGA Execs Collect Millions, Critics Question Its Nonprofit Status – InsideSources
Old 12-23-2022, 09:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
They’re now guaranteeing 500k to every player per year and it was discovered they were sitting on a billion in reserve.

Jay Monahan is flying around on a tax-exempt private jet to do personal errands. C’mon man. They’re making a mockery out of everyday tax-paying folks.

Furthermore plenty of tax paying corporations, companies and sports organizations donate to charity and good causes.

It's time the PGA gets off the government teat.
Old 12-23-2022, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

On another golf note, Gary Player is now suing his grandson Damian for selling his memorabilia, including his 1974 masters trophy for over $500.000, he’s already suing his son marc for same thing and the other son Wayne is already barred from the masters for promoting golf balls during a private ceremony at Augusta , it proves the old saying you don’t get to pick your family
Old 12-23-2022, 10:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
The PGA Tour had slightly more than a Billion Dollars "in reserve" at the start of this year. The current number sits at over $800,000,000.

"The rest is given to charity or to cover administrative costs"? The Commissioner (who's obviously way over his head) is paid $9,000,000/year. How many "non-profits" pay someone close to $10M to run the place?

As PGA Execs Collect Millions, Critics Question Its Nonprofit Status – InsideSources
Many of them pay way more, eg: The United Way
Old 12-23-2022, 10:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
They’re now guaranteeing 500k to every player per year and it was discovered they were sitting on a billion in reserve.

Jay Monahan is flying around on a tax-exempt private jet to do personal errands. C’mon man. They’re making a mockery out of everyday tax-paying folks.

Furthermore plenty of tax paying corporations, companies and sports organizations donate to charity and good causes.

It's time the PGA gets off the government teat.
And so does the chairman of just about every so-called non-profit charity. But even worse, even more hypocritical is Leonardo DiCaprio, UN Ambassador against global warming flying private jets to climate conferences and using a Saudi Prince's 250-foot yacht pumping out diesel at 3 mpg.
Old 12-23-2022, 10:54 AM
Platinum member

LIV offered a new model for players. They were able to sign a few players by throwing incredible sums of money. The PGA responded by throwing incredible sums of money to keep players in the fold. The PGA has essentially created a tour within a tour by catering to the top 20, whoever that might be. The PGA tour is now a case of the “haves” and “have nots”. If I was a mid-level player in the PGA, I would certainly give the LIV tour a hard look if offered. I will be rooting for a LIV player to win the Masters just to shut up a few of the more vocal PGA players. LIV and let LIV is my motto.
Old 12-23-2022, 10:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
LIV offered a new model for players. They were able to sign a few players by throwing incredible sums of money. The PGA responded by throwing incredible sums of money to keep players in the fold. The PGA has essentially created a tour within a tour by catering to the top 20, whoever that might be. The PGA tour is now a case of the “haves” and “have nots”. If I was a mid-level player in the PGA, I would certainly give the LIV tour a hard look if offered. I will be rooting for a LIV player to win the Masters just to shut up a few of the more vocal PGA players. LIV and let LIV is my motto.
The LIV players invited to the Masters are all former champions and players still in the top 100 of OWRL----all capable of winning. So if a LIV player wins, it proves nothing and won't shut anyone up.
Old 12-23-2022, 05:45 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,032 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Many of them pay way more, eg: The United Way
The CEO & President of United Way is Angela Williams. Her Base Pay is $600,000/Year.

The previous President of United Way, made approximately $1,600,000. That's a long way from $9,000,000.
Old 12-24-2022, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Friendly reminder-

The PGA is a not for profit tax exempt organization that doesn't pay a dime in taxes yet they hand out billions to multi-millionaires who hit a little white ball.

It's the biggest scam going.
Unlike other athletes, the players on the PGA Tour only get paid if they play well. Tom Brady is still getting paid tens of millions while playing poorly. Golf tennis and bowling are the only sports that I can think of where the players are paid based solely on their performance.

Also, The PGA Tour gave over $3 billion to charities in 2021 and that number will increase in 2022.

They pay no taxes because as you stated, they are not for profit. All the money they collect is spent on expenses or donated to charities. Yes, they pay out millions to their players. They do that in order to attract the best players in the world in order to keep up interest in their product so that they can continue to give $BILLIONS to charity.

By the way, those millionaire players pay taxes on the money that they win so I wouldn't worry about Uncle Sam getting his cut and most of the elite players have set up charitable foundations. You only have to look as far as Orlando to see the Arnold Palmer and Winnie Palmer hospitals. In The Jack Nicklaus hospital for children is in Columbus Ohio.

Click here to read about The Tiger Woods Foundation and all that they do to help children.About - TGR Foundation, A Tiger Woods Charity
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-24-2022, 12:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Nice insightful post and dead accurate the PGA has become about the top 20, really the top 10.
Closed Thread

Tags
masters, liv, augusta, national, ban

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.