Mickelson and the U.S. Open

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2019, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I've been around a lot of tour players in my life and I have to say that Phil Mickelson is one of the nicest people that I've ever met.

That being said, as a golfer, he's just dumb. Sorry, but there is no other way to put it. He makes many bad decisions on the golf course. Some of them work out in his favor and some of them don't. Looking at Phil's record and realizing that he played through the prime of the Tiger Woods era, it's truly remarkable. If not for Tiger he would have been the best player in the world in many years.

But if had made better decisions on the golf course his record would have been even better and would have included at least one US Open and possibly a few more.

The final hole at Winged Foot in 2006 was the worst decision making I have ever witnessed on a golf course. He made some pretty dumb plays on 16 and 17 as well, but there were several bad choices on the 18th. First was the driver off the tee. The most important thing on that hole was to get the ball on the fairway. A 3 wood or long iron would have been the correct play. Then one he got lucky and got a great bounce off the hospitality tent, he got even dumber in trying to play a shot to the green through a tree. Phil has one of the best short games in history and needs to learn to depend on it more. The play should have been to punch something low up in front of the green again, getting it on some short grass. From there he would have had a very good chance of getting it up and down for a win. At worst, he would have made bogey and tied.

An example of a dumb shot that worked out was the one from behind the tree on the thirteenth hole of The Masters. He pulled off the shot and made birdie, But he would have had an excellent chance to make birdie if he has punched it out down the fairway to a good number. Again, although he has a truly great short game, he didn't trust it. The shot worked out but if it hadn't it could have been a disaster.

He made some bad decisions on the final few holes at Pinehurst as well. but they didn't stand out like Winged Foot and Augusta.

And these are just the shots that we know about because they came a crucial times in majors. He's made many dumb shots in early rounds of other tournaments to shoot himself out of contention early.

Like I said, Phil is one of the nicest and most talented guys on tour but he needs to make better decisions.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:32 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I've been around a lot of tour players in my life and I have to say that Phil Mickelson is one of the nicest people that I've ever met.

That being said, as a golfer, he's just dumb. Sorry, but there is no other way to put it. He makes many bad decisions on the golf course. Some of them work out in his favor and some of them don't. Looking at Phil's record and realizing that he played through the prime of the Tiger Woods era, it's truly remarkable. If not for Tiger he would have been the best player in the world in many years.

But if had made better decisions on the golf course his record would have been even better and would have included at least one US Open and possibly a few more.

The final hole at Winged Foot in 2006 was the worst decision making I have ever witnessed on a golf course. He made some pretty dumb plays on 16 and 17 as well, but there were several bad choices on the 18th. First was the driver off the tee. The most important thing on that hole was to get the ball on the fairway. A 3 wood or long iron would have been the correct play. Then one he got lucky and got a great bounce off the hospitality tent, he got even dumber in trying to play a shot to the green through a tree. Phil has one of the best short games in history and needs to learn to depend on it more. The play should have been to punch something low up in front of the green again, getting it on some short grass. From there he would have had a very good chance of getting it up and down for a win. At worst, he would have made bogey and tied.

An example of a dumb shot that worked out was the one from behind the tree on the thirteenth hole of The Masters. He pulled off the shot and made birdie, But he would have had an excellent chance to make birdie if he has punched it out down the fairway to a good number. Again, although he has a truly great short game, he didn't trust it. The shot worked out but if it hadn't it could have been a disaster.

He made some bad decisions on the final few holes at Pinehurst as well. but they didn't stand out like Winged Foot and Augusta.

And these are just the shots that we know about because they came a crucial times in majors. He's made many dumb shots in early rounds of other tournaments to shoot himself out of contention early.

Like I said, Phil is one of the nicest and most talented guys on tour but he needs to make better decisions.
I'm sure his age isn't helping matters either. I've always enjoy watching him play.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

Phil turned 49 while I was reading this post. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2019, 09:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

What an amazing putt to finish the Open! If I could putt like Woodland, I would die happy. ;-)

We sat on the side of the fairway relatively close to the 18th green. Couldn’t *buy*a seat in the bleachers. If one were claustrophobic, you would run screaming. Just packed, of course.

A few notes about this.
1) I still like Mickelson, and am not a good enough golfer to judge whether someone makes bad decisions. I enjoy watching professionals, and hope to glean some good techniques from watching.
2) This was our fourth US Open, and every one I’ve been to have been consistently well-run, with everything you could think you need has been provided. The pre-Open info on the website was useful, and included the style purse you could or couldn’t carry, no lawn chairs with arms, among other things.
3) The parking area was based on the California State University-Monterey Bay. Acres and acres of parking, with a plethora of porta potties available prior to the 30 minute bus ride to Gate 1 at Pebble Beach. The buses were ready to go. No waiting; there were buses lined up with volunteers counting people. When that max number was reached, they transitioned the line to the next bus waiting. Just amazing.
4) I would guess thousands of volunteers helped make the event successful, including middle school children from Carmel Middle School.
5) We met amazingly nice people from all over the country interested in one thing: good golf.
6) I don’t know if there is an official attendance count, but one number I heard was 42,000.

We’re flying home tomorrow (Monday). We regret we didn’t extend our stay to drive up the coast and do some tourist stuff, but maybe next time.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
What an amazing putt to finish the Open! If I could putt like Woodland, I would die happy. ;-)

We sat on the side of the fairway relatively close to the 18th green. Couldn’t *buy*a seat in the bleachers. If one were claustrophobic, you would run screaming. Just packed, of course.

A few notes about this.
1) I still like Mickelson, and am not a good enough golfer to judge whether someone makes bad decisions. I enjoy watching professionals, and hope to glean some good techniques from watching.
2) This was our fourth US Open, and every one I’ve been to have been consistently well-run, with everything you could think you need has been provided. The pre-Open info on the website was useful, and included the style purse you could or couldn’t carry, no lawn chairs with arms, among other things.
3) The parking area was based on the California State University-Monterey Bay. Acres and acres of parking, with a plethora of porta potties available prior to the 30 minute bus ride to Gate 1 at Pebble Beach. The buses were ready to go. No waiting; there were buses lined up with volunteers counting people. When that max number was reached, they transitioned the line to the next bus waiting. Just amazing.
4) I would guess thousands of volunteers helped make the event successful, including middle school children from Carmel Middle School.
5) We met amazingly nice people from all over the country interested in one thing: good golf.
6) I don’t know if there is an official attendance count, but one number I heard was 42,000.

We’re flying home tomorrow (Monday). We regret we didn’t extend our stay to drive up the coast and do some tourist stuff, but maybe next time.
Appreciate the first-hand observations.

It was an exciting tournament without eve being there in person.

After hearing about some of Woodland and his wife's personal challenges and that he is so well liked by other tour players...it's definitely a 'feel-good' win.

Have a safe trip home.
Closed Thread

Tags
open, u.s, mickelsons, pebble, win

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.