The Open

Closed Thread
Old 07-16-2022, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPartisan View Post
I am sure none of you on this board ever changed jobs for more money purely out of loyalty. LIV is just another tour with a different format. Did you all have the same problem when they started the Sr Tour. LIV appears to be for player (still professional golfers) that aren't as sharp as they were in their prime. Why not LIV?

Could not have said it better
Old 07-16-2022, 07:05 AM

Quote:
I am sure none of you on this board ever changed jobs for more money purely out of loyalty. LIV is just another tour with a different format. Did you all have the same problem when they started the Sr Tour. LIV appears to be for player (still professional golfers) that aren't as sharp as they were in their prime. Why not LIV?
If I were the PGA, I would say you can play but in order to be a member of the PGA you have to commit to at least 15 PGA tournaments a year, you receive no world golf ranking points in LVI tournaments as you are only playing three rounds, you cannot play in the PGA championship, and you do not qualify for the Fed Ex Cup. That may be enough to sway some not to go. I certainly understand guys like Mickelson going because he is no longer competitive, but guys like Dustin Johnson, and DeChambeau are still so what’s their reasoning.
Old 07-16-2022, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I am very informed and stated my thoughts an opinion unlike your brief insult. Say what you mean by your non comment.
Great replay.....
Old 07-16-2022, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhancock View Post
Personally, I have no problem w/any golfer joining the LIV. This is not like baseball, where you sign a 5 year, 30 million contract to play. In golf, if you don't make cuts or whatever, you don't make any money. So if they want to go for the money, so be it.
In some way I agree, but if you are not good enough to make any cuts you probably should not be on the PGA tour, and I doubt you would keep your card status very long.
Old 07-16-2022, 07:48 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

If the PGA Tour continues to try and exclude LIV players, I predict a very interesting lawsuit soon. It will be interesting to watch the Tour try to justify both their US monopoly AND non-profit status, while grossing about $1.5B and netting over $70M per year. Particularly, while paying their commissioner almost $9M per year and their payments to charities (excluding the entities putting on the tournaments contributions) being pretty chintzy percentage wise.

As PGA Execs Collect Millions, Critics Question Its Nonprofit Status – InsideSources
Old 07-16-2022, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

If the Saudis pull the plug they'll come crawling back.
Old 07-16-2022, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

When a player qualifies for the PGA tour, he signs an agreement with several stipulations one of which is to not play in competing events. Players may ask for and will often be granted permission to play in a few competing events during the year. A player from Italy, for example might be granted permission to play in the Italian Open even though it is played at the same time as a PGA Tour event. Every player agrees to these terms so it is not surprising that some players have resigned their PGA Tour membership or that the tour is suspending those who have violated their agreement.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-16-2022, 06:48 PM
Platinum member
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Apple View Post
There are no cuts in LIV golf. You show up, you get paid.

Yep, LIV is just like 3 practice rounds of golf. No incentive to win. They get no extra money for the positions where they finish...

Old 07-17-2022, 06:31 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,200 Times in 327 Posts

Well back to the actual thread topic.

Rory sure looks primed to take the Cup. Makes me pleased for many reasons. He finally has put it all together so far, both mentally and physically. The Old course fits him well. And being the Top player advocate for PGA players it would stick a finger in the LIV guys. I’d think that that motivates him a bit as well.

IMO he is certainly deserving and the local fans support is surely there.

Round 4 will be exciting. Go Rory!
Old 07-17-2022, 09:52 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post

Yep, LIV is just like 3 practice rounds of golf. No incentive to win. They get no extra money for the positions where they finish...

In the Portland event, the difference between first and last place was right at $3,800,000.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:22 PM
Veteran member

What a fantastic Open tournament. Cam Smith was gutsy and a #1 putter.

But, during a news conference after he won, a reporter asked him about LIV and rumors that he will be moving too. Cam was mad and never addressed it. Good for him really, esp right at that time of high emotions. But…. Oh oh…
Old 07-18-2022, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I was really disappointed in Rory’s game plan. He seemed to be playing safe, defensive golf. Everyone knew that someone and possibly many we’re going to go low. Rory looked like he thought that a mediocre round would seal the win for him. As it turned out there were a lot of low rounds. Rory, Hovland and SW Kim we’re the only ones in the top 20 to not break 70. Rory missed a lot of putts that barely made it to the hole. If he had hit a few of those with a bit more speed he would have made a few and possibly won or forced a playoff. I take nothing away from what Cam Smith did. Shooting 64 in the final round was amazing. It put a lot of pressure on Rory but Rory didn’t respond.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-18-2022, 10:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I was really disappointed in Rory’s game plan. He seemed to be playing safe, defensive golf. Everyone knew that someone and possibly many we’re going to go low. Rory looked like he thought that a mediocre round would seal the win for him. As it turned out there were a lot of low rounds. Rory, Hovland and SW Kim we’re the only ones in the top 20 to not break 70. Rory missed a lot of putts that barely made it to the hole. If he had hit a few of those with a bit more speed he would have made a few and possibly won or forced a playoff. I take nothing away from what Cam Smith did. Shooting 64 in the final round was amazing. It put a lot of pressure on Rory but Rory didn’t respond.
And if Cam Smith does jump to LIV that will surely be a stick in Rory’s eye. And make his tepid round 4 even more disappointing. I for one got quite tired of the Rory Media show after Tiger went out. Media always seems to promote one big story and it was Rory to a deserved victory.

Yes sure looks as if Rory was defensive and not wanting to endure bad shots into the heavy rough or pot bunkers. Played it quite safe and no great breaks on his putting. Of course Cam S was tremendous especially putting. I was very impressed by Cam Young finishing second and playing so solid.

If I were a betting guy I’d put big bucks that Cam Smith will jump to LIV before year end, as Will others
Old 07-18-2022, 11:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
What about Scheffler laying an egg. World's number 1 goes into final round tie for 5th. Can't even muster up par and ends up 21st.
Old 07-18-2022, 01:09 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,315 Times in 594 Posts

Golf analyst David Feherty is jumping from NBC to LIV! Wonder how much he is getting paid!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
players, liv, pull, reluctant, open

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.