Pick the British Open winner.

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2018, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Pick the British Open winner.

I'll go with Brook Koepka. I love to see history being made.

But my gut tells me that it will be some relatively unknown European.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:46 AM
Sage

Wow. It didn't take long for my pick to be taken. I'm with you, Doc. I pick Koepka.

Not that he's my personal favorite, but he's American!! And I think his game is peaking at the right time.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:50 AM
Platinum member

The Open Championship is the one major where I would never try to predict a winner.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:12 AM
Sage

Dustin Johnson
Old 07-19-2018, 11:14 AM

I bet on Noren, Molinari and Fleetwood. That Thorbjorn guy was tempting at 175-1. If he wins I'll be ****ed at myself.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
The Open Championship is the one major where I would never try to predict a winner.
At least one person knows the correct name of the tournament.

We in UK are enjoying the best summer for decades. The ground will be rock hard, the rough, like straw.
" Do I use the driver" is the question that will be on the players mind!
Some will eat the course, many will be absolutely destroyed by it.
Safety first in my opinion.
I would like to see Tommy Fleetwood do well.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
At least one person knows the correct name of the tournament.

We in UK are enjoying the best summer for decades. The ground will be rock hard, the rough, like straw.
" Do I use the driver" is the question that will be on the players mind!
Some will eat the course, many will be absolutely destroyed by it.
Safety first in my opinion.
I would like to see Tommy Fleetwood do well.
I was going to call the thread, "Pick the winner of The Open" but someone had already used that for the US Open.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Justin Thomas or Rickie Fowler.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Tiger 'in the hunt' Sunday morning (within 5 or 6), but I think he'll fade after a few bad holes early...from frustration on some bad bounces.

Specific predictions are fun for all, because very few...are ever correct.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:54 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

My money's on Skylar Tatwualk this go round!
Old 07-20-2018, 07:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Dustin Johnson
Dustin Johnson meltdown equals record for worst opening round by world No 1 at a Major

Dustin Johnson meltdown equals record for worst opening round by world No 1 at a Major

hmmmm
i sure know how to pick em
Old 07-22-2018, 03:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

If the wind blows as forecast today, final round could be more than interesting!
One other point from watching the play this week.
How on earth can we in Europe win back the Ryder Cup?
How strong in depth are the USA for good players.
Impressive!
Old 07-22-2018, 05:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

The final round, if the expected wind bringing out the real Carnasty happens...should be fascinating!

To have two of the 7 guys sharing a house sharing the lead (would love to know how the conversations in the house went last night ), with another roommate only 4 shots back...is pretty amazing.

While I think Kisner has the game to win, I believe Spieth's experience in these high pressure situations...will eventually prevail.

It wouldn't surprise me though...if we end up with a 2-3 man playoff first.

With so many having a chance and just one bad swing needed to lose 2 or 3 shots AND the potential for a Jean van de Velde type meltdown possible on each of the finishing holes...it's gonna be great drama!
Old 07-22-2018, 05:46 AM

Happy to see Jordan Spieth back on top of the Leaderboard. Doesn't hurt to have Tiger 4 strokes behind. Will make for a very exciting Sunday!
Old 07-22-2018, 09:48 AM
Sage

Is anyone watching it live coverage online? I can't get The Open - Live Coverage to work on either win 8.1 or chromebook. I turned off addblocker.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:27 PM
Sage

It seems that Tiger's approach to winning Majors has changed. This was his tournament to win. He started playing very conservatively and it bit him on the butt. I understand laying up on certain holes, but when a layup leaves you 228 yards and you need to make birdies, it seems to me that hitting driver is a risk that you need to take.

Tiger made double bogey and a fairly easy hole followed by a bogey and finished three shots behind. I think that he had a legitimate chance to drive the eleventh but laid up into a bad position. Even at that, he had a chance but took one club too little on 16 and then laid up off the tee on 17 leaving himself a very long shot into the green.

It seems to me that in his prime Tiger knew when to play conservatively and when to take chances. It seems that these days he never takes a chance. Majors can sometimes be won with that strategy but not in this case. Instead of going out and winning the tournament, he was waiting for everyone else to lose it.

On the other hand, congratulations to Francesco Molinari. It seems that he is always hanging around the leaders in majors but never won. If he kept doing what he was doing it was inevitable that he'd win one eventually. He's one of those guys that US fans don't know a lot about because he doesn't play here that often, but now he's The Champion Golfer of the Year.

Closed Thread

Tags
tells, gut, made, unknown, european

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.