Ryder cup excitement, GO USA

Closed Thread
Old 09-27-2021, 10:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Understand..BUT

I understand the theory that the surface around the hole has PGA regulations HOWEVER it was my observation there was an excessive number of "roll arounds" in the tournament which I don't recall ever seeing that many in a regular PGA Tournament? I also know the PGA has a number of Officials who inspect every aspect of the tournament before a tee off. Having said that I continue to believe there were more "roll arounds" at the hole than I have seen in the past.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,419 Times in 5,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
I understand the theory that the surface around the hole has PGA regulations HOWEVER it was my observation there was an excessive number of "roll arounds" in the tournament which I don't recall ever seeing that many in a regular PGA Tournament? I also know the PGA has a number of Officials who inspect every aspect of the tournament before a tee off. Having said that I continue to believe there were more "roll arounds" at the hole than I have seen in the past.
I always putt the ball toward the center of the hole, so I don't have that problem.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:14 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

The venue was beautiful, games were fun to watch but they should have skipped the team interview afterward. Was anyone else disappointed by the team behavior at the interview?

I was sad to think that team represented the USA with their behavior. I felt they behaved like a group of first year frat boys at a party, drunk, some trying to pretend they knew how to smoke, cocky responses at times and giggling like young school girls, leaving a poor impression of Americans. I’m a huge fan of the Ryder Cup competition but this peek at the participants real personalities has turned me off, big time!

Suggestion for next Ryder Cup, hold the booze and cheap cigars for the party back in your rooms. We weren’t impressed.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:43 AM
Platinum member

The players commented that they did NOT know there was a media event after the tournament that they were expected to attend.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

2023 Ryder Cup - Wikipedia

The next on is near Rome in 2023.

Marco Simone Golf and Country Club - Wikipedia
Old 09-27-2021, 12:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
The players commented that they did NOT know there was a media event after the tournament that they were expected to attend.
Does that mean they had absolutely no control over themselves at that point? I felt Steve Stricker was uncomfortable with some of the behavior also.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I liked how Brooks shook Bryson's hand on the 18th while waiting for the others. Then at the press conference Justin Thomas said, I want to see Brooks and Bryson hug it out, and they did.

Here's the handshake

Brooks Koepka & Bryson DeChambeau Hug it Out @ the Ryder Cup - YouTube

Here's the hug

One More Brooksy for the Books - YouTube

Here's the press conference that I saw. I don't see any hooliganism, bad manners, terrible conduct, it's almost too tame.

U.S. team wanted to send a message with Ryder Cup win | Live from the Ryder Cup | Golf Channel - YouTube
Old 09-27-2021, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
The venue was beautiful, games were fun to watch but they should have skipped the team interview afterward. Was anyone else disappointed by the team behavior at the interview?

I was sad to think that team represented the USA with their behavior. I felt they behaved like a group of first year frat boys at a party, drunk, some trying to pretend they knew how to smoke, cocky responses at times and giggling like young school girls, leaving a poor impression of Americans. I’m a huge fan of the Ryder Cup competition but this peek at the participants real personalities has turned me off, big time!

Suggestion for next Ryder Cup, hold the booze and cheap cigars for the party back in your rooms. We weren’t impressed.
I thought that the team interview was the highlight of the week. It was great to see those guys loosen up and have fun. I suspect that's what it's like in the locker rooms.

I was disappointed that I didn't see the closing ceremony and couldn't find it anywhere. Have they done away with it?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,100 Posts
Default Oh yes !!!! God forbid they had a little fun

Quote:

I mean it’s golf you have to be soooooo serious
Old 09-27-2021, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,419 Times in 5,109 Posts

I was turned off by the video where they showed several players complaining because their opponent didn't concede a short putt. Conceding a putt is entirely at the option of your opponent. I think it is bad sportsmanship to make a negative comment or gesture about a player who wants you to putt out.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:47 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
I mean it’s golf you have to be soooooo serious
I get that we don’t expect much from our athletes, but I don’t know if the opposing countries were thinking much of the boozing, smoking and giggling behavior. Stricker is a class act and knows to have fun and he wasn’t carrying on in that manor.

Just me but I miss the Nicklaus, Palmer, Hogan, Player era personalities. You can walk into any college bar and find the other behavior.

I didn’t say they shouldn’t have fun, just not that type of fun on the world stage.

Last edited by Aces4; 09-27-2021 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I get that we don’t expect much from our athletes, but I don’t know if the opposing countries were thinking much of the boozing, smoking and giggling behavior. Stricker is a class act and knows to have fun and he wasn’t carrying on in that manor.

Just me but I miss the Nicklaus, Palmer, Hogan, Player era personalities. You can walk into any college bar and find the other behavior.

I didn’t say they shouldn’t have fun, just not that type of fun on the world stage.
I agree to a certain extent. It reminds me of the book title, "Back When We Were Grown Ups" by Anne Tyler. Yes, those professional athletes of my parent's generation behaved with more decorum, manners, and self-control, publicly at least. Then again, the media wasn't as omnipresent and intrusive as it is now. And no social media, either, of course.

Last edited by Escape Artist; 09-27-2021 at 09:11 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
ryder, shot, today, putt, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.