Ryder cup excitement, GO USA

Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2021, 06:18 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydavid View Post
What a golf course, sure not for the faint of heart.
Even when your ball is still playable, just getting to it can be hazardous. It is a 2-3 sleeve course for most of us average hackers. Don't ask me how I know. lol
Old 09-26-2021, 07:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydavid View Post
What a golf course, sure not for the faint of heart.
So true. Wish I saw how the players climbed in and out of some of those tough spots. And I worry about a “tough” bunker here! So fun to watch the Ryder
Old 09-26-2021, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Yes, why can't they be perfect 100% of the time.

No one is expecting them to be perfect but they got beat 3&1 and it was never that close.

Of course they were playing the European juggernaut of Rahm and Garcia so I guess we can cut them a bit of slack.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:11 AM
Platinum member
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutmama View Post
So true. Wish I saw how the players climbed in and out of some of those tough spots. And I worry about a “tough” bunker here! So fun to watch the Ryder
Yep, almost saw Speith going for a swim after one shot. Couldn't keep his balance.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
There's just no possible way that we can now lose it in singles tomorrow, correct? Please tell me I'm correct - please.
The biggest comebacks in Ryder Cup history were from 10-6. The Europeans would shock the world if they came back from this. But looking at the match ups for singles, almost every one of them could go either way.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbartle1 View Post
45,000 fans stay safe, disappointed in Speith/Thomas yesterday but Jordan had shot of day, too bad Thomas didn't make putt., maybe today will be better.
I've been to the Ryder Cup and what a lot of people don't think about is that there are 45,00-50,000 fans and there are only four groups on the golf course on Friday and Saturday.

I think that's why they have so many more grandstands.

Personally, when I go to a golf tournament I like to walk around, see the course and see different players on different holes.

Although it's nice to see these great players in person, watching golf on television is much better.

Old 09-26-2021, 08:18 AM
Default Ryder Cup Fans vs Solheim Cup

The fan behavior at the Ryder Cup is disappointing, especially in light of the fact that few Euros could attend to counter them. I attended the Solheim Cup at Inverness Club in Toledo earlier this month. Fantastic! Fans were much more respectful of the Euro ladies. And an attendance record was set there at 130,000+.

I love the performance thus far of Team USA but The Ryder Cup is now officially a Snoozefest........The LPGA Walmart Tournament has 23 pros within 5 shots today and therefore a chance to win the trophy. It's gonna be a hot day in Arkansas for this shoot out.!! GO USA gals (and Matilda from Finland)!!
Old 09-26-2021, 08:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
Crowds remind me of Happy Gilmore, loud, rude and disrespectful of the etiquette rules of golf. Flame me if you want, just the way I see it.
It's a once every two year thing so I can put up with it. I don't like it when people are saying or shouting out rude things to players but it is a very different atmosphere. It's our team against their team. I think that it's great to root for your team. Booing the opposition is uncalled for. Most of these guys are friendly. They know each other very well.

Old 09-26-2021, 09:28 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

The broadcast had so many ads and so much “playing through” that is was equal to the actual game time. For me it was so bad I quit watching. If they need that many ad $$$$ to make it work then it will fail as a major broadcast event. I quit watching football and now it looks like golf is done for different reasons.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:00 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts
Cool

Overall, some great golf shots all day by members of both teams. Given the relative young age of our team, the future looks a lot brighter than how we've performed in the last few decades or so.

GO USA!!
Old 09-26-2021, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

In the post match interviews, European Captain Padraig Harrington said the crowds were great, the people of Wisconsin were really nice. Whoever complained that these crowds were bad, you must of never watched the Ryder Cup before, or especially from Europe. The golf crowds at those events are just like soccer crowds in Europe, they very rowdy. The US crowds were very respectful, almost too much at times. Here, see the 2018 Cup in Europe.

Ryder Cup Crowd 2018 - YouTube
Old 09-26-2021, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
In the post match interviews, European Captain Padraig Harrington said the crowds were great, the people of Wisconsin were really nice. Whoever complained that these crowds were bad, you must of never watched the Ryder Cup before, or especially from Europe. The golf crowds at those events are just like soccer crowds in Europe, they very rowdy. The US crowds were very respectful, almost too much at times. Here, see the 2018 Cup in Europe.

Ryder Cup Crowd 2018 - YouTube
I think the U.S. crowds at the Ryder Cup feel they have a certain standard of golf hooliganism to uphold They set the tone at the 1999 Ryder Cup at Brookline MA when one of the most epic comebacks in golf occurred. But all anyone wanted to talk about afterwards was the rowdy, uncivilized fans. The Euro players were disgusted by the fans, but more so by the players themselves for their dreadful behavior as well breaches of golf etiquette, especially the infamous, premature celebration on the green at the 17th hole when Justin Leonard tied it. Ben Crenshaw was their fiery captain and all agreed he motivated them to turn things around when they were down 10-6.

Even though there were loud complaints about the boorish behavior by European players and also U.S. golf officials and some media, that game was a watershed in professional golf and for the PGA. It ushered in a new era of excitement (the Tiger years) and unprecedented interest in the game which expanded its appeal worldwide. Along with that came a new attitude and approach as players exhibited more emotion on the course and felt comfortable expressing their individuality, perhaps at the expense of hallowed traditions and expected behavior in regards to good sportsmanship.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:49 AM

Proud how Jordan Spieth and Fleetwood ended match on 18 with picking up markers giving each a half point. From a caddie perspective, tough course to carry bag and in some places dangerous to walk, yipsters!
Old 09-27-2021, 07:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Observation

An old observation was the extra player in a Golf Tournament and Base Ball Game is the Greens Keeper. I think we may have seen some of that in the Ryder Cup? I have been a Marshall at a number of Tournaments including US Opens, etc and I have never seen so many balls go around the cup and not drop in as in the Ryder Cup over the last few days. This does not mean it was intentional but rather may have been a mistake by the person putting in or changing the cups? If you put the cup in and push it down and fail to bring the edges up to meet the surrounding grass level the ball will do exactly as what was happening in the tournament. Did anyone else have a question about the balls not dropping? Since the impact would be on both teams it would not appear to be intentional?
Old 09-27-2021, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,687 Times in 5,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
An old observation was the extra player in a Golf Tournament and Base Ball Game is the Greens Keeper. I think we may have seen some of that in the Ryder Cup? I have been a Marshall at a number of Tournaments including US Opens, etc and I have never seen so many balls go around the cup and not drop in as in the Ryder Cup over the last few days. This does not mean it was intentional but rather may have been a mistake by the person putting in or changing the cups? If you put the cup in and push it down and fail to bring the edges up to meet the surrounding grass level the ball will do exactly as what was happening in the tournament. Did anyone else have a question about the balls not dropping? Since the impact would be on both teams it would not appear to be intentional?
If you are saying that the plastic liner for the hole should be level with the ground, that is not correct. Here is the PGA rule for golf holes:

"The hole's outer diameter must not exceed 4 1/4 inches, the depth is a minimum of 4 inches and the liner must sit 1 inch below the putting surface."

Sometimes, practice greens will have the liner level with the putting surface to make the hole more shallow and to protect the putting surface around the hole, but that is not according to the PGA rule. It is highly unlikely that the holes at the Ryder Cup would not be installed according to the PGA rules.
Closed Thread

Tags
ryder, shot, today, putt, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.